Season 627 - It's 3/4 Time!

So here's the other Billy Joel song that played on the PA at the open mic, causing me to think of that other other Billy Joel song that I did with Piano Man David on Sunday. You can never have too many Billy Joel songs, right?

"She's Always a Woman to Me"

It's been way too long since I've done a Verandah Jam video!

Howdy. Crazy week for me. I can't believe it is Thursday already. SOTU 627. At first I was thinking I have my own 3/4 Waltz Original that I will sing.

Then comedy of bumble set in. I forgot my Iphone tripod at a friends house during rehearsal. That had to wait until Tuesday when he brought it in.

Then, already crazy work week was kicking me in the shins and I misplaced the tripod somewhere. I still can't find it :)

Luckily yesterday we had a rehearsal for an upcoming show and one song on the list happens to be a waltz. So I asked one of the band members to take a video during the rehearsal. Hope You like it. It is a mashup of two songs...James Taylor's Sweet Baby James and Home On The Range ... cheers :)

Another in 3/4 time. This is a song I grew up with because whenever we had family get togethers my dad ( an English man ) would always sing this song for my mum ( a proud Scot ). I never got round to asking him where he learned it, it was just always there. He’s been dead nearly 30 years so it’s a bit late to ask him now. Coulda woulda shoulda I guess. Anyway, the song is by singer/songwriter, actor, comedian, Will Fyffe who you may or may not be familiar with although you will probably know of his most famous song “I Belong To Glasgow” . He was from Dundee by the way. @wee_ginga_yin will know him well I bet. A few Scottish terms to get your heads around (or perhaps heeds aroond) ; a But n Ben is a simple dwelling, a vennel is a passage or alleyway. A dram is, well, a dram. Mouse and house become moose and hoose naturally. Lecht is light, oot a secht is out of sight. Claes are clothes, specifically bed clothes or covers here. You’d probably have got it from the context anyway. Apologies to the likes of Rob for my Scottish accent, but I’m a Brummie born and bred, this isn’t second nature to me 😊

1708632842981.jpeg
Westphalia [Texas] Waltz
1947 fiddle tune by Cotton Collins, based on the melody of a well known Polish waltz.
Fun Fact: In 1978, Sonny Throckmorton incorporated much of this 3/4-time melody into his “Last Cheater’s Waltz”, popularized in 1979 by T. G. Sheppard.

1708633000830.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's one for Season 627 and 3/4s....which I forgot to put on the title card in the fillum and as I have uploaded and deleted it four times already, not three, but four times I am not doing it again !!

This is "The Tattooed Lady" . No ,not Lydia , but a whole different other one by a gentleman called Paddy Roberts.

Bit of Piano and the DD-50 drum box hitty with stick thingy in the rear.

And hello yet again, Ylle ... I wasn't sure whether I would be able to come back again, because this wasn't an easy song to learn; it took me two days! The original 1967 version by "The Young Rascals" is lovely ... my version is less so! But it IS a sweet song and is an example of why I like Sixties music so much. The lighting is a bit weird - I couldn't quite get it right; it was snowing outside! SNOWING!!!

I thought I might not get around to it this week, but I have been waiting for an opportunity to try this Tom Waits number, so here we go. Off to a smoky bar room, or at least my spare room with a black and white filter...

Howdy. Crazy week for me. I can't believe it is Thursday already. SOTU 627. At first I was thinking I have my own 3/4 Waltz Original that I will sing.

Then comedy of bumble set in. I forgot my Iphone tripod at a friends house during rehearsal. That had to wait until Tuesday when he brought it in.

Then, already crazy work week was kicking me in the shins and I misplaced the tripod somewhere. I still can't find it :)

Luckily yesterday we had a rehearsal for an upcoming show and one song on the list happens to be a waltz. So I asked one of the band members to take a video during the rehearsal. Hope You like it. It is a mashup of two songs...James Taylor's Sweet Baby James and Home On The Range ... cheers :)

This is wonderful and exudes the uniting spirit of music.:) Good luck finding your tripod but IMHO, the tilted camera angle added a completely appropriate touch of charm.

I have been a fan of an old radio show called A Prairie Home Companion for many decades. Garrison Keillor wouild sometimes talk about the Chatterbox Cafe, where the waitress always had a smile, there was no limit on coffee and the Blue Skirt Waltz was still on the juke box. I always wondered what the Blue Skirt Waltz sounded like, but this was before Google or YouTube.
I mentioned it to my friend Reg Buck and he told me that that was his Mom and Dad's favourite song. He taught it to me and here it is.

Blue Skirt Waltz - Mitchell Parish & Vaclav Blaha 1944 - Same age as me.

I have been a fan of an old radio show called A Prairie Home Companion for many decades. Garrison Keillor wouild sometimes talk about the Chatterbox Cafe, where the waitress always had a smile, there was no limit on coffee and the Blue Skirt Waltz was still on the juke box. I always wondered what the Blue Skirt Waltz sounded like, but this was before Google or YouTube.
I mentioned it to my friend Reg Buck and he told me that that was his Mom and Dad's favourite song. He taught it to me and here it is.

Blue Skirt Waltz - Mitchell Parish & Vaclav Blaha 1944 - Same age as me.

I looked forward every week to PHC and would have loved to have attended one of the live shows. Always felt a kinship to Norwegian Bachelor Farmers. “Lake Wobegone, where men and are men and the sheep are nervous.”

Top Bottom