Season 634 - Love Your Larynx!

This week I learned a new song, both to me, and in general. "Waterline" was released on March 22, 2024 by Shaela Miller, a singer/songwriter from Lethbridge, AB. Up to now she has been doing very twangy music, but her new album is more synth oriented as she goes back to her roots (synth in this case). Lyrics are in the YT description, or at the link below...

Here's a Fred Rogers song!

I woke up this morning with my ears blocked. It felt funny but fun at the same time singing without being able to hear your voice normally...

There is a line in the lyrics : to sing a song for you

I am really taking my time to do things these days....🤭

If you listen closely, you can hear another quiet Seasonista singing in the background. Perhaps she's singing in a careful whisper? 😏

Fyi, I had to check if whispering uses your larynx and, according to Wikipedia, it's actually worse for your throat to whisper!!! Hopefully you haven't been carelessly whispering as you try to heal up, Del. Thanks for hosting and hope you get well soon!!!

Talking lion blues

C W Stoneking song about a talking lion.
I was over in Africa mini' for gold
O-oooh, min' for gold,
Come along a big lion, caught me in my hole
O-de-lay-eee, caught me in my hole
The lion said "Buddy, you plumb outta luck"
O-da-lay-eee, you plumb outta luck,
Made a lunge for me, lawd, I had to duck
O-de-lay-eee, I had to duck
I jabbed that lion right clean in the jaw
O-oooh, right clean in the jaw
Picked up his tail, dragged him cross the florr
O-de-lay-eee, dragged him cross the floor
I changed him up in the back of my truck
O-oooh, in the back of my truck
Said, "What's that you had to say about luck?"
O-de-lay-eee, that you said about luck
The first place I took him was ten miles away,
O-ooh, ten miles away
Told the people, "Listen what this lion can say"
O-de-lay-eee, what this lion can say
The lion looked round, he started to cty,
O-ooh, he started to cry,
Said, "This man punched me and he blackened my eye"
O-da-lay-eee, and he blackened my eye.
The people got angr, they started to shout,
O-da-lay-ee-ee-ee-eee
Lion said, "That's what I was talkin about"
O-de-lay-eee, oh-oh, lawd, lawd.
They hauled me up the courthouse stairs,
O-oooh, up the courthouse stairs
The judge was a monkey in an old wicker chair
O-de-lay-eee, in an old wicker chair.
The monky said, "Guilty", and the people all cheered,
O-oooh, and the people all cheered
He slammed his gravel, said "Twenty five years"
O-da-lay-eee, said twenty five years
I'm in Africa wearin a ball and chain,
O-de-lay-ee, a ball and chain,
I'll never mess with a talkin lion again
O-oooh, talkin lion again

Last edited:
Thank you all for your wonderful music. And a big welcome to our two new Seasonistas - please everyone check out their excellent debut vids! I’m looking forward to another catch-up session after work later. And thank you also for your good wishes regarding my voice, which seems to be returning gradually now. I don’t know whether I’ll be singing by the end of the week, but there is still the possibility of an in-person collaboration with another Seasonista at the weekend - keeping everything crossed that that will happen! Watch this space! And *pharynx very much to you all again!

*I know the Season is about the larynx and not the pharynx, but the pun didn’t work with the larynx. Actually, I’m not even sure it works with the pharynx!
😆😆😁

Thank you all for your wonderful music. And a big welcome to our two new Seasonistas - please everyone check out their excellent debut vids! I’m looking forward to another catch-up session after work later. And thank you also for your good wishes regarding my voice, which seems to be returning gradually now. I don’t know whether I’ll be singing by the end of the week, but there is still the possibility of an in-person collaboration with another Seasonista at the weekend - keeping everything crossed that that will happen! Watch this space! And *pharynx very much to you all again!

*I know the Season is about the larynx and not the pharynx, but the pun didn’t work with the larynx. Actually, I’m not even sure it works with the pharynx! 😆😆😁
My daughter was upstairs and she called down to me what was an instrument for measuring wind, I spelled it out for her PHARTOMETER.

She handed her essay into her teacher who then read it out in front of the class and when everyone started laughing she knew what an evil dad she had.

True story. She was 12 and we had just moved from Finland to the UK and her English was not that good.

When I was in Grade 9 or 10, a girl in my class asked me to the Sadie Hawkins Dance and she became my first girlfriend. My mom used to urge me to learn this song to sing to her. It never happened, but I'll send this one out to you Lou.

LOUISE - Leo Robin & Richard A. Whiting 1929
"Every little breeze seems to whisper Louise,"

There is another song called LOUISE that I learned from Paul Siebel's Woodsmoke & Oranges LP about 45 years ago. It's the first song Maggie ever heard me sing and I sometimes will say (tongue in cheek) that I won her heart with a song about a dead hooker.
This one is not about a dead hooker.

*I know the Season is about the larynx and not the pharynx, but the pun didn’t work with the larynx. Actually, I’m not even sure it works with the pharynx! 😆😆😁
You had to go and tell us you had laryngitis, didn't you...

I had a song all picked out by the time I went to bed Saturday night, and since I woke up on Sunday morning, I've been so damned hoarse, I can barely talk, much less sing!

Tea hasn't helped, neither have hot coffee or hot soup... I tried cold water... nothing.

No sore throat, no pain at all, just... barely above a whisper! (Damn, but I feel like Bill Anderson!)

I can sort of talk, but singing is just a "nope". We are guessing it is the allergy season. (Oddly enough, I haven't had to sneeze since I've been hoarse...)

-Kurt

Here is another improv i just recorded with my bari uke, after re-arranging* the cut up texts from a damaged children book.
*i posted the first improv a few posts ago.

Ok, here's my bit, Brittni Paiva's version of "All of Me" ... I mean, you should really just listen to hers. It's so very very good, but if you insist, here's mine:

Caspar, I'm eager to see your video, but it's set to "private". You need to edit the setting for us to see it.

Top Bottom