Season 634 - Love Your Larynx!

This seemed like an apropos title for laryngitis week, plus it's a killer song. I've been playing it on loop in the background all day to learn it, because I really only knew the "don't tell me 'cause it hurts" hooky bit.

"Don't Speak" by No Doubt (Gwen Stefani's band).

I was losing my voice a bit while recording it. The curse of the Season!

I think this is #6 for me, so I do hope our host will consider raising the limit, as he hinted he might, otherwise I might be forced to get some actual work done.

Hello again, Del ... and good to hear that you are on the mend (sort of!) The "musical side" of my family set off back to England this morning, leaving me free to produce as much "weird sh*t" as I desire; so, herewith, I bring you a Golden Oldie from way back in 1964 ...

Last one from me Del, because over the last couple of days I’ve managed to pick up a chest infection ☹️. I can just about sing at the moment, but in an hour, who knows. Just walked the dog and my chest hurt. I may be dying, or conversely, I may just be exaggerating a bit because I feel a little poorly. Classic Man Flu signs. This should be about chest infections and the joys of coughing up thick lung butter into a Kleenex …( I’ll leave you with that poetic image) . The tune is Bobby Vinton’s, the lyrics, below, are my own shameful creation.

Man flu, I have got man flu.
It’s so hard to sing for you
Because I’ve got man flu.

I went to a priest, asking for extreme unction
Because at the moment I can barely function.

It’s down to my man flu, and my dodgy larynx,
No not my pharynx,
That’s further up methinks.

Man flu, yes I’ve got man flu (repeat to fade)

I chose to do the song "Girls Talk" the day that this season was announced but only got around to recording it today and then I see that YorkSteve already beat me to the punch! I'll submit it anyway as our takes on the song are fairly different. This is an Elvis Costello song I came to know through Dave Edmunds.

Jim did a gorgeous version of what to me is one of the loveliest songs
from the early part of last century. would love to hear Alan do it too. or
anyone for that matter. in the meantime i couldn't help myself.
i first heard Cliff Edwards sing iton the 'Singing In The Rain' compilation album
released in 1995 by Audiophile - still the greatest feat of mastering ever in my opinion

Good lord! 3 Seasonistas have lost or is currently losing their voice...Sending you all a speedy recovery!
I'm okay. My singing voice was wonky when I made yesterday's video, but my speaking voice is fine. I'm nowhere near laryngitis, thankfully!

But, yeah - this theme seems to be affecting some of us. Power of suggestion, maybe, in my case? We'll see when I go to sing again. I'm working on an original, so I hope it's more solid for that!

ANNOUNCEMENT - I know there are a few of you approaching the 6 song limit for the Season. I have a busy weekend ahead, but I’m happy to increase the limit to 7 songs each - that’s only one extra, so choose wisely! Thank you all again for a super week - have fun! 🙂

Greetings again, Del! 'Twas not my intention to return, but I saw Jon's invitation to do "Louise" ... and, well, I suppose I just might fall into the "anyone for that matter" category; and it IS a sweet song. I associate it primarily with Maurice Chevalier, who I always found a bit creepy ... especially when he sang, "Thaaank Heaven for Leetle Girls." There is no way I can compete with the brilliant versions already done by Jon and Jim, but I HAVE got the straw boater (known as a "canotier" here in France) and the stripey jumper ... and I AM in the right country!

Caspar, I'm eager to see your video, but it's set to "private". You need to edit the setting for us to see it.
I’m speaking out of turn (and have totally missed this week’s theme) but thank you for bringing up this subject. When posting a YT cover, I usually choose “unlisted - anyone with link can view” but does that cause access issues as well when posting in SOTU or other UUF threads?

I’m speaking out of turn (and have totally missed this week’s theme) but thank you for bringing up this subject. When posting a YT cover, I usually choose “unlisted - anyone with link can view” but does that cause access issues as well when posting in SOTU or other UUF threads?
Unlisted is fine, all my older vids are set to unlisted, but still show up on the forum a well as the playlists.

Top Bottom