Season 636 - One for sorrow...

Well, this is a disaster Bob. We are away in the van, and were about 100 miles from home when I realised that the uke which normally lives on the back seat wasn't there. A packing malfunction. So, unless a Cornish charity shop has one going cheap, I will have to miss out on this excellent theme.

Here's my first for this season. It was written for a "List Challenge" on FAWM this February. As it mentions and quotes from the rhyme that is the key to this season, I hope it qualifies. Like the narrator you'd have to be pretty superstitious to believe that a fairly common bird could be the key to knowing the future (Rob's gardening tips aside).

The University I used to teach at had a gorgeous park-like campus that was often full of magpies. The rhyme doesn't go above seven - so I don't know what thirty plus magpies represented 😉

Hope you like:

The tale of the legend of Blenkinsopp Castle's ghost. I started the idea for Sabines season, but ran into difficulties, as ever. So it nicely fits in with Bob's season. Careful ,it's four minutes of your life that you won't get back.Its got One for sorrow, Three for a girl,four for a boy....in fact I think it has all except number two !! Which it most certainly is. A pile of.

I thought of doing "I am a man of constant sorrow" for, you guessed it, sorrow. But, I thought of doing it as a folk song; not as the amazing bluegrass song that it is. So, with the lyrics on the tablet, I picked up a uke and my little Tascam field recorder, and hit the record button. I flubbed it, with just one verse left. With the recorder still running, I tried singing in a higher key, acapella, for just the first phrase. If I ever try again, I'll resume in the higher key. This is my song entry for sorrow, as-is. Not sorry. Happy to be here.

Is this one a parody? I dunno.

Last edited:
Here's my One for Sorrow. One of my favourites by an Aussie singer songwriter Doug Ashdown. From the '70's. Written from the viewpoint of an expat in America homesick for the Sydney summer and his ex love.
Showing the power of a title. First released in 74 as " Leave Love enough Alone" did nothing. Then re released in 76 as " Winter in America" and was a hit in Oz.

Last edited:
Sun comes up, it's Tuesday morning (now there's a song !)...27 fantastic songs so far and the Season is still young.
Playlist all up to date so I urge you all to check out all the submissions to date!
Here's looking forward to what the day brings and hoping that @YorkSteve can lay his hands on a wild Cornish uke!

Laters, 'taters...x

Many people are confused by the politics of the tensions that exist in the middle East. Hector the Wibblemeister released a secret document to help politicians understand the complexities of the situation. With understanding comes clarity.

Mr Bojangles

This one has it all - sorrow, joy, love, grief, friendship.

This is my new Baritone Beansprout, and it's a powerhouse of sound. I love it SO much. I was playing it recently alongside a guitar and another uke, and for the first time I felt that I could hear it clearly against the guitar. It can be incredibly delicate - or if you want, very dominant. It thrums as I play and I love that. It's such a whole body experience playing it!! It's also SO well balanced. The bass is powerful, but the trebles ring out clearly too. It's a masterpiece of craftsmanship. Oh, and it's a sight for sore eyes - the lovely yellow top against the golden brown of the walnut. MMMM.

An original called Bittersweet. This mentions joy and sorrow. Enya tenor (high G) and an Irish bouzouki by Gladstone Guitars.

An original called Bittersweet. This mentions joy and sorrow. Enya tenor (high G) and an Irish bouzouki by Gladstone Guitars.

Kahlil Gibran 1883 –1931

Then a woman said, Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow.
And he answered:
Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter’s oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?

Hello again, Bob! The choice this morning was to go and do something incredibly oily with the lawnmower to get it working again - elder son, who knows about such things, has been instructing me remotely via WhatsApp - or, alternatively, to sing another song! I chose the easier (and cleaner) option! I think this song fits into the "joy" category, although the protagonist DOES sound a might confused ... (Seamus the Cat, who is obviously of a stalwart disposition, put in an appearance and refused to budge, despite my singing at him!)

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting, Bob! Love the theme. I found one that checks off sorrow and joy in one line, then arranged instrumentals for the rest so I could 1) get a little taste of what this uke can do and 2) not have to memorize or read the rest of the lyrics of this song (there's a bunch of em!)

It's Across the Universe, by some old band not many people have heard of...

Here's one for gold:

John Lennon said his song, Girl, was about an archetype girl. So, what better song could I offer you for selection three, girl?

I found the chords and lyrics for Girl on ozbcoz.com. Then I sang along with the original Rubber Soul recording, and I felt I still remembered the general melody. So, with just the Tascam handheld recorder and the lead sheet on the tablet, I made my recording. My phrasing was a bit off on the first try, but I was comfortable on the second. To me, my take two is reminiscent of the many Beatles studio demos that are available to the public. That's what I was hoping for, so that's where it remains.

Here is my second submission for this week. It was inspired by a songwriting challenge in FAWM '24. Our brief was to take a line from a song that we particularly resonated with, or thought was insightful, and develop a song from that. One of my favourite Joni Mitchell verses, appears in her song Hejira from the album of the same name. Here she sings:

"I know no one's going to show me everything
We all come and go unknown
Each so deep and superficial
Between the forceps and the stone"

That always struck me as central to her philosophy and mine... So I knew what my response was going to be to the challenge. And here it is:

Top Bottom