Season 636 - One for sorrow...

Silver Threads And Golden Needles is an old country song written by Dick Reynolds and Jack Rhodes. I'm submitting this for Silver, and now I've submitted 1 song for each of the 7 numbers. Woo-hoo

I learnt the flippin’ magpie rhyme as a young child and it has plagued me ever since! I’m the least superstitious person you could ever wish to meet, but even now, every time I see a group of magpies I have to count them to discover my impending fate! It’s ridiculous and it drives me insane! And to make matters worse, in a moment of madness, I taught it to my daughter when she was younger, so in the highly unlikely event that I manage to ignore a group of those admittedly beautiful birds, she happily starts reciting the rhyme to me! Added to which, magpies seem to be far more common now than when I was a kid! Oh joy! So thanks for the week, Bob! 🤔😆

Probably just the one effort from me this time, in the 7 category - a secret never to be told. It’s an original for the week - baritone uke with some added synth bass and pads, and some vocal harmonies too.

Lyrics in the YouTube description.

Last edited:
1 for Sorrow:

"I Haz a Sad" by favorite local central NJ steampunk band, A Halo Called Fred.

I'm not big on sad songs - you may have noticed - but this one suits me.

MAGPIE - Ian Tyson

My apologies - I started this post and just found this song on my camera. I thought that I had already posted it.
My sister spent a couple of decades in Calgary and I always admired the beautiful magpies when we went out to visit. I have never seen them in Ontario.

Last edited:
I learnt the flippin’ magpie rhyme as a young child and it has plagued me ever since! I’m the least superstitious person you could ever wish to meet, but even now, every time I see a group of magpies I have to count them to discover my impending fate! It’s ridiculous and it drives me insane! And to make matters worse, in a moment of madness, I taught it to my daughter when she was younger, so in the highly unlikely event that I manage to ignore a group of those admittedly beautiful birds, she happily starts reciting the rhyme to me! Added to which, magpies seem to be far more common now than when I was a kid! Oh joy! So thanks for the week, Bob! 🤔😆

Probably just the one effort from me this time, in the 7 category - a secret never to be told. It’s an original for the week - baritone uke with some added synth bass and pads, and some vocal harmonies too.

Lyrics in the YouTube description.

Teach your children well😇😅😂

I always greet magpies when I see a group of them, for no reason other than that my dad always did. That way, apparently, you can either ward off the impending bad fate or be sure you get the good fate, because that's definitely how things work :).

I thought of this one for seven - keeping secrets.

I always thought it was a girl dating a married man or something like that.

For SotU 636 One for Sorrow ....
we have gone this time for the no. 2 Joy
a la Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy".

I have to say that having once loved this song
it now rather sets my teeth on edge, given the
sentiment of the lyrics, but enough about that.
It doesn't stop it being a fitting , and
a great song for the season.

Thanks for giving me a reason to learn "I Don't Wanna Know" by the Indigo Girls, this song mentions secrets. It is an earlier song of theirs, written by Amy Ray and Michelle Malone.

YouTube threw me some shade in the Copyright section by saying that I only use the song's melody for less than half the song LOL:
"I Don't Wanna Know (Live at the Birchmere, Alexandria, VA - April 1993). Video uses this song's melody. Content found during: 0:03 - 1:31"

This is my "one for sorrow" song. It's a Blood, Sweat & Tears song I learned a few months ago. I recently missed out on a couple of opportunities to play this for a Season, so I want to get this winter song in before we get to mid-summer.

Thanks for hosting, Bob!

I was away over the weekend, visiting my Mom, who is ill.

I live about 400 miles away from her.

Tuesday after work I read the intro again, and thought I would try to tackle all 7 in one. I think the chorus accomplished that. Then, I wrote the rest of the song to go along with it.

I went back home It was a long drive So many changes Not every memory survives.
The place I met her It Disappeared into a field The years have changed us
but her love for me won’t yield

Chorus
Smiles of sorrow, tears of joy I can’t give silver or gold, to take me back to when I was a boy.
The untold secrets, to find the priceless pearl. The blessed understanding, that I’m still happy with my girl.

I saw my mother, and my sisters with some friends Went to the ocean as my visit neared its end.
I don’t love travel Takes me far away from her To just sit closely that’s the journey I prefer.

Chorus

Bridge

Sometimes it’s really hard to keep this truth in mind That discontentment is often built on lies.
Though when in blindness by faith we still can see. It’s love that binds us, it’s love that sets us free.
Sets us free.

Repeat chorus

I will preface this by saying that about a week ago I completely blew my leg up…reaching into a car to give a three year old a fist bump.
IMG_0262.jpeg
Subsequent HAMBURGER. Don’t get old kids.
Anyway…couch bound mostly and getting a little punchy around here to say the least.
A girl song.
My apologies.

Holy moly! Wishing you a speedy recovery....that doesn't look good nor does it sound pleasant in the slightest

Hey Bobby,

To make this fit your theme, I titled it Let GOld.

Stealth is obviously not my biggest strength, nor music.
But I love painting and making things, so here is one for GOLD. Haha. Please don't unfriend me, Bobby.
I have kept this to 39 seconds.

some details of paintings I have been making, improv on the guitalele with singing, and dog barking.
That dog waited so patiently till the end to do his part.

another one for SORROW.
This could be for Gold or Silver but I have already done that other one for GOLD, so this shall sit in its SORRY room.

The song itself is not sad....but the race as mentioned in the song is very VERY sad.

Original cartoons, improv on the ukulele with some singing.

Thanks for hosting, Bobby!

Top Bottom