Season 636 - One for sorrow...

I recorded this yesterday, but as our lovely host pointed out, failed to post it on the forum. Here is is…covering both “joy” and “boy”.

Working backwards from seven, here's an entry for columns six & five. :)

(I realised after reading the rubric for Season 637, that it fits there too, so am cross-posting there)

Rounding out the set:

5 for silver:

I thought it would be fun to do a song by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band for silver. I closed my set yesterday at the Chapters open mic with "Katmandu".

4 for a boy:

I've been planning all week to do "Louie Louie" for the boy option, but I'm posting 4 videos today already, and that's plenty!

And I realized that my second song from the open mic, John Fogerty's "Centerfield", mentions several boys names of famous baseball players real and fictional - Mighty Casey, "say hey" Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, and Joe DiMaggio.

Here's a link to the full set if anyone's interested (I'll edit in once it posts) - song #3 was a live version of "I Haz a Sad" which I posted from the verandah yesterday.

Magpie:

And finally, I've been watching all week to catch a closeup video of an Australian magpie for you. They're in my yard every day but don't often come as close as the other birds. This morning I was talking with my friend Susan on the phone when this one lit on the tree nearest my verandah, so I quick grabbed my other phone and captured him singing for you all.

The Eurasian magpie pica pica is anything but black and white, with iridescent wings that splash and sparkle in the sun. It was originally called a pie, simply enough, probably because that was where it would end up, as much as anything else, when meat was scarce!

The Eurasian magpie pica pica is anything but black and white, with iridescent wings that splash and sparkle in the sun. It was originally called a pie, simply enough, probably because that was where it would end up, as much as anything else, when meat was scarce!

That's interesting! The French word for a magpie is "une pie" ... not sure I've ever eaten one here, though!

That's interesting! The French word for a magpie is "une pie" ... not sure I've ever eaten one here, though!
The Latin word pica used for the eating disorder actually comes from the Latin name for the magpie, but the pie thing may just be false etymology, who knows? We do have "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie" in a nursery rhyme, so maybe it isn't that far-fetched, after all!

I always thought the idea of magpies stealing was a myth, but perhaps not!

Last edited:
Ms. Bean slides under the wire, Bobby checks his watch, the crowd hold their breath...and that's that for Season 636!
Cheers, everybody!
The Playlist is, I believe, up to date.
I'll be back to catch up on the final day's videos and cobble together a wrap of sorts once the working day has removed its teeth from my behind!

Laters, 'taters! X

Well, there we go. Another Season put to bed. No prizes this time but I just want to say a huge thank you to each and every seasonistas who contributed this week.
We had 90 fantastic videos submitted in total including a whole bunch of beautiful originals.
As I said at the start, huge respect to those of you who completed the set - be it over several songs or in one go!
Speaking of which, if I had to choose one stand out track from the week then it would have to be the first one out of the gate. @acharman brought us a quite astonishing version of The Magpie. If you haven't checked it out yet then I would seriously urge you to! (And, of course, everything else on the playlist too if you can find the time!)

So that's about it. A thoroughly enjoyable week of magpies, secrets, silver & gold, girls & boys, a few bittersweet helpings of sorrow and, most importantly, no shortage of joy.
And that can only ever be a good thing.

Thanks again, you lovely people!

X

Thanks Bob for hosting and for a wonderful theme. And for that glowing response to my Magpie cover.

Doc played a lil version on the uke.
this is a different version. 🧡

It’s a sweet song…can be played on any instrument. However, singing with the uke is such a different thing than singing with the piano; my singing always becomes more intimate, never in competition with the instrument I play. Thanks again for the responses to that little video🙏🙏🙏

Top Bottom