Season 637 - Here and Now

Hi Marin! Thanks for hosting, and I hope you're enjoying the week. Here's a World Party song, much of which is about the past, but I think fits because it asks the question "Is it like today?"

I'm feeling a little croaky this week. You can hear some evidence here occasionally. So maybe it's time to do a Tom Waits song again.

Thanks for such a great Season, Marin!
This Yowling Tom instrumental of a 1921 Overstreet/ Higgins tune is audio only because I’m not confident in learning the words this week, but will later post a video with the lyrics if possible.
There’ll Be Some Changes Made (Today)
View attachment 172150

Love it! I'll keep an eye out for the video so I can slot it into the playlist. Sounds great!

I wish I had time to do a daily recap, but alas Tempus Fugit. Thank you everyone for the wonderful music you’ve brought me so far! Setting a theme and inviting you all to get creative with it feels like a magical act of summoning. In releasing a few carefully chosen words I have called forth your beautiful art within my chosen framework. The power is quite intoxicating!
So, for those of you who haven’t hosted yet, I recommend it! It makes you feel a little like a megalomaniacal wizard, but in a good way!

Sunday @Charley B kicked us off with a song about his home, evoking a clear sense of place, followed by a shimmering original by @pabrizzer, and @LimosinLil ‘s optimistic answer to the indignities of French bureaucracy. @MorganTheBard brought us introspection and poignancy in a lovely wooded setting, and @Canada Jim made us think with some Wainwright. @wee_ginga_yin first offering was both sweet and insistent, @redpaul1 shone with a classic, and @xommen ’s U2 cover was rich, warm and spot on for the theme.

@good_uke_boy kept Sunday going with an effortless instrumental, @AlanDP bounced in with a delightful ditty from the 1930s, and @UkeFoote busted out the melodica! @DelGriff is singing again, hooray! @Flatbaroque took the BeeGees down into a more appealing (to me, anyway) key, and Rob came back with a song I think I’m going to come back to a few more times.

Sunday finished off with @UkeCan1's take on my favorite Fogarty! Thanks, Wendy!

Come Monday, @One Man And His Uke took his time with a Beatles song that we will hear again later. @bobjking brought Edith and her Amazing Technicolor Jumper to the table with some Olivia Rodrigo, and @Renaissance-Man got me all misty-eyed with a song about the ephemeral nature of “now”. Jim came back with a timely favorite, followed by Rob really nailing the opening notes (and the rest) of a melody we all know.

Tuesday’s great with a heck of a bop from @YorkSteve, a return to form from @Elly who I infer is back after an absence (Welcome back!), and a gorgeous cruise through another woodland paradise to one of my favorite songs from Val. @Barbablanca brought us a MAJOR original, and Joo is back in the game with another clawhammer jam. @Threebird 's Tuesday offering is a master class in rhythmic driving strums, @CeeJay knows the way to my heart is through Jimmy Buffett, and @Oldscruggsfan left us an audio-only instrumental piece that delights! Kevin’s second offering is an instrumental callback to an earlier submission, and Rob finished Tuesday with a toy uke and two minutes to spare (in PST where I live, and I make the rules this week!)

Wednesday started with a short but very sweet instrumental from @Caspar, and THERE HE IS I was waiting for @jtsteam to show up! I was starting to worry about you! RM is back with a circular jam from the Croces, and oh hey, that’s me and I’m caught up! Whew!

Thanks everyone for the participation so far, and for flooding me with foxes - which always makes my moment.

Hi Marin. I think this qualifies as the narrator is speculating in the present - now. This is a nice authentic sounding arrangement from Richard G's uke site. Has some less common but easy to learn chords. I played the tenor chord shapes on a baritone to make the vocal easier. A Brian Wilson/ Beach Boys classic.

I was thinking about this for last week, but never got a chance to do the video - but I think it fits just fine here.
Hard to believe this song is over 50 years old...

Welcome to my mother's kitchen.

Today I wanted to test out my old (maybe vintage?) camera. The audio quality from the internal mic is pretty crappy, but at least you can hear what I am singing and the ukulele. I thought the mic of my Samsung phone might be better so I turned it on as well, thinking I was gonna use the audio from it when I edit the videos. But by comparison I like the audio from the old camera better. Yes there are lots of noise, but there were some noise outside the flat anyway- traffic, people, road works...
I was boiling some eggs and wanted to record something as I waited.
An old song of mine.
here are the words:

You call me your 4 leaf clover
You call me your lucky star
But I am just a common clover
There are many of us near and far
I don't believe in all these stories
And memories you keep in jars
It's time to look up at the stars
Open the jar and let them out
Let your star illuminate
Don't let your star be your trap
Let your star illuminate
Don't let your star be your trap
I don't believe in superstition
I don't believe in reincarnation
When the wise man says NOTHING LASTS
He really means to say :
ALL WE HAVE IS RIGHT NOW

A fairly early song by Yes called Time and a Word.

Thank you for hosting @ChaosLibrarian - nicely chosen theme and writeup too!

I've been trying to sing this one properly. It's been a journey.The link is that the "Now" is the "Time" in the song. On thinking about it, I realise the link is somewhat tenuous... I promise to do better! But I really love this song and just really wanted to do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/@CasparHarmer

Last edited:
Tom Rush did the Remember song about memory loss and he did it in a self depreciation humourous way. But I thought it could be interpreted as a sad song.

My father had dementia and every day was pension day. He would go to the post office to collect his pension only to be told he had collected it the day before. He lived in the never ending now.

Last edited:
My second this week has a soldier defending his country writing to his wife, now a refugee somewhere, to tell her some sad news from home and to outline why he is fighting. The song was inspired, of course, by images and stories from the war in Ukraine.

Hope you like:

PS The church I show at the end is my favourite in Catalonia: Girona Cathedral. It has the widest Gothic Nave in the world, with a width of 23 metres (75 ft). That made my engineer father truly uneasy. He stated on entering it: "This should not be standing!" and marvelled at the skill of those who had built it.

Hello, yet again, Marin! This was the "Here and Now" in 1960 ... a time of change, at least in the UK, when the old guard was giving way to the new. It was written by Lionel Bart (of "Oliver" fame) for a musical comedy of the same name about London lowlife. (It could be a bit noisy as I was getting rather carried away with my Cockney accent, which might be slightly more authentic than my attempts at an Australian one!)

Last edited:
Hello, yet again, Marin! This was the "Here and Now" in 1960 ... a time of change, at least in the UK, when the old guard was giving way to the new. It was written by Lionel Bart (of "Oliver" fame) for a musical comedy of the same name about London lowlife. (It might be a bit noisy as I was getting rather carried away with my Cockney accent, which might be slightly more authentic than my attempts at an Australian one!)

Ya 'ear abart the Cockney wot half inched a calendar, well luv a duck, he got 'imselv twelve mumfs, cor blimey.

Thanks again for this Season’s fun theme, Marin!
Thank you also to @BigJackBrass for his work on the historically valuable thread, “The Cliff Edwards Project” where he recently posted the lead sheet for this tune.

There’ll Be Some Changes Made (Today)

Paying homage to the comic duet cover on the 1990 Mark Knopfler / Chet Atkins album Neck And Neck, I wrote the following alternate lyrics but forgot to sing ‘em:

Well, you can [E7] bet I’ll never get to play that rock and roll
[A7] I’m far too country, and far too old
No [B7] money for nothin’, no [Em] chicks [B7] for [Em] free.
[A7] The average age of my [Am7] groupies is pushin’ [D7] 83.

And I’ll [E7] change my way of livin’ maybe become risqué,
I’ll wear dark [A7] glasses, maybe get a toupee,
Play my [B7] ukulele, not 5-[Em] string [B7] or [Em] guitar [Fm7]
[A7] There’ll be some [D7] changes [G] made [B7] tomor- [E7] ow [Fm7],
[A7] Yes, there’ll be [D7] some change- [Am7] s [G] made.

Last edited:
I did a stripped back acoustic cover of this one earlier in the week, and at the time I threatened to do a fuller multitrack version - and here it is. Lots of extra synth stuff added to a new baritone uke track, and some vocal harmonies in the chorus. This was pretty challenging and very time-consuming, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Top Bottom