Season 643 of the Ukulele - S S S

Here's another fun little twofer:

Still noodling on alternate PNW initialisms, and shamelessly pandering to our 642 host, I came up with Pinoy New Wave.

(Pinoy = Filipino, but that starts with an F.)

The Dawn appears to be one of the biggest bands of this PNW, and "Enveloped Ideas" one of their signature hits ... but really I have no idea.

It was fun anyway, and short and silly enough to fit here too.

Check out The Dawn performing this live - they're pretty great!

Thanks to all who have embraced the theme and brought us some sweet, silly, smart, spirited, soothing, soulful songs.
I really enjoyed every entry so far. Some of your songs have made me smile and a few have made me sigh. :---)

I am not sure if some of you lovely people might be thinking that the songs you bring, whether a sad or silly one, have to be also short? They don't have to be. You are welcome to bring me a long, sad song. Or a super short shouty one. All are welcome. Any songs about pomegranates? :--D

I am a bit speechless at the moment. Maybe I will end today with another quote:

The human SPIRIT is more powerful than any drug - and that is what needs to be nourished: with work, play, friendship, family. These are the things that matter.
-Robin Williams

Keep the songs coming, friends.
See you tomorrow.

Hello again, Joo! I think this song might come under the category of "silly" ... it certainly wasn't sensible because assembling that chair has put my back out again just when it was beginning to feel better!

BROKEN HEARTED PEOPLE - Guy Clark

A SSSSSSad SSSSong for my second entry into Joo's Season.
I was going through a relationship like this when I first learned this song over four decades ago. I sure don't miss it.
(The second verse has a SSSSilly line - "hold on to your lampshade Darlin' 'cause I'm looking for a hat.")

Thank you for hosting, Joo! :)

A few weeks ago, after at least a couple of decades, I rediscovered Tori Amos’s debut solo album ‘Little Earthquakes’. Listening to it again all this time later, I find that my intervening life experience helps me to relate so much more to the lyrical content of her songwriting - it‘s almost like I’m hearing a new album of songs.

So, unsurprisingly, this is a sad one - charting the breakdown in communication that signals the beginning of the end of a relationship. Just one vocal track and baritone uke here. And a very rare one take!

Last edited:
Two lines from Spontaneous Me by Walt Whitman.

Two lines from a long poem encapsulate how easy and lovely friendship can be... but today we worry if prince charming can wake up sleeping beauty with a kiss, without asking her consent?

How can you ask someone who is sleeping for her consent? You have to be WOKE for that.

Last edited:
Hello again, friends! I just found out I can change font size and colour! Yay!

At this point of writing, there are hardly any comments (from Seasonistas) on the videos posted so far, except on a few videos.

So, I feel it is my duty to share my comments on the videos here. I dunno. Maybe that will give you a rough idea what to expect? I have a strange taste BTW so you might not agree with me. I react and comment SSSpontaneously, and I listen to music not just at the skills but the heart that comes with the delivery.

After watching each other's videos for a long enough time, it is easy to assume how the latest video on your screen will sound like. And that is a fair assessment I guess. I mean, it isn't easy to suddenly play like a new person for most or all of us. But I do see something new in everyone's video, each time I watch. A NEW song, a different uke, eyebags that weren't there suddenly appear or vanished (LOL), etc..

My point is - let's give the videos here a listen and comment on them so our friends know what others feel or think about their entries.
(I know it might be hard to take seriously the words of a woman acting so silly in her intro video, but treat yourself to some really good entries here, friends!)

Comments from your host on the videos so far (and to make it easier for you to watch the videos, just click on the title of the entries here. A mobile playlist, everyone!)

pabrizzer - silly 3 chord melody
(original)
Haha! That would go perfectly with a little dance with the bum spelling the letter S, again and again. This is lovely, not so silly to me. Sweet, actually. Nice uke too. Thanks very much for bringing a cool first original to the Seasons Brian! Smiling here!

Canada Jim - HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOO! (3-song medley)
i have become an old timer too, Jim! the third song made me choked on my laughter!!!! so freaking funny!!! Love this!Thank you very very very much Jim!!!

wee_ginga_yin - Anselm Hollo Haiku (haiku set to music)
wow. that was 12 years ago? I remember you did a few others of his poems. I like how this songlet got straight to the point. having a beard really captures lots more memories huh?

UkeCan1 - Plants Need Water
What a smart little song! Sweet as! I love it so much. You bring me a huge smile, Wendy. It is my kind of song. Thank you! (i know you can hear it! :--D)

LimousinLil - Are You Lonesome Tonight?
It's cool to hear the spoken section! It's like they were afraid singing is not taken seriously, so Roy and Lou needed to include the speaking part as well. ("Listen, kid, if you are lonesome, better drop me a text message straightaway!" ) Lovely bring, Val. Thank you!

mikelz777 - Peasie Weasie
haha! that's so delightful! Perfect Silly Song indeed! Love it, thanks for this, Scott. You sound great as usual.

xommen - Koffie (original)
I kept hearing Coffee is Liquor, and something about Vodka, hahaha. Wonderful, Wim. Love it when I hear an original from you. I too am a coffee person. Gonna have one right now.

MelTheUker - Everybody Gets A Kitten
wow, Melissa, this is the first time I am watching you on the bigger screen of my 2-in-one tablet. You have the brightest, sharpest eyes. Such radiance from you. And that, and your voice, really make this song shine. I hope you got lots of people adopting kittens at the Open House! I love how you put on the appropriate tee for the song. Thanks so much! Looking forward to your Second Song.

AlanDP - I'd Walk a Mile for a Smile from You
i am smiling here. This is really lovely. I really enjoy hosting because of performances like this, Alan. You should give hosting a try too one day maybe a tin pan alley season. (no pressure, just sharing) Your presence on the Seasons really adds such a wonderful sound to the thread. Love everything you bring. Thank you for this!

jtsteam - The Meeting (original)
I remember this one! The horrors of office life, haha! You are such a good songwriter and performer. Good to see this played live at the bar. You should play this at THE meeting.....(well, we can fantasize about it! )

jtsteam - Long Way Home (live with Gavin McGinty at a pub)
That was really good! I was quite Spellbound by the relaxed energy from you, Edwin. Love this song. I think you did it for a previous Seasons once? Wonderful harmonies and accompaniment from Gavin!

Ila - Castle on a Cloud
Good to hear and see you, Ila! Such a splendid delivery from you. Thank you!

Flatbaroque - Simon Smith and the Amazing Dancing Bear
Totally charmed to pieces here. What a sweet, lovely little song. Newman is so cool. You have no idea how much i love this. Thank you thank you! And yes, i will definitely have lots of Char Kuey Teow and Sweet food on my birthday, and every other day!

Stoneyrun - Help Me Make It Through The Night

Your voice is a beautiful instrument. The emotions in it when you sing is very affecting. Wonderful video. Love the darkness in your videos. It always seems to show more than ones flooded with lights. I am a fan. Thanks so much for sharing this, Stoney. More please.

wee_ginga_yin - I'll Be Seeing You
Yes. Definitely feel the sadness here. Your sad songs don't have to be short BTW if that's how you are selecting songs to share. What is also sad, Rob, is when the person you love is still there, but they are not really there anymore. You see them slowly wasting away. That is heartbreaking.

hands_on_lanzon - Imagine (instrumental swing cover)
Your beautiful playing really sooths me, Chris. This is the most beautiful music i hear today, and in a long long time. Thank you so much for your friendship, your silly puns and sweet playing. Love and hugs from hot and humid Singapore!

pabrizzer - in a little while (original noodling)
I really appreciate and enjoy your music, Brian. I still remember when i first discovered your channel in 2013. I was struck by the deep emotions in your voice and playing. Thank you for your beautiful songs. Love this lovely little noodling. It is full of life and a lightness that gladdens my heart.

UkeCan1 - Enveloped Ideas
Your performances are always delightful! This is quite a quirky little number! Made me smile. Thank you Wendy!

LimousinLil - Lazy Bones
Like Jim, I love this song too. I love that you included the chair asssembly, especially awesome to include the sounds of the intricate operation, and that "what am i doing it wrong" expression! Isn't it just mind boggling following instructions to set stuff up? Well done Val!!! Now you've got a new chair to lounge in the sun playing us more songs! Wonderful! This really brightened my morning, thank you! ( now go make yourself a cup of tea and give your back a rest)

Charley B - The Snake
I just thought of another snake song. This one i dunno, i love this. A fantastic cautionary tale done so well by you. Thankssss Charley!

Canada Jim - Broken Hearted People
that lampshade line is quite memorable huh? So sad, this song. I think I try not to listen to sad songs too much, but they really are where some of the best music are. Mr Clark makes our hearts ache with this song. And you have brought a really moving rendition here, Jim. Thank you so much!

jtsteam - Back Of The Drawer (original)
brilliantly sad and so clever and funny!!! I always thought you wear mismatched socks, Edwin. Er..a good job for that solitary sock at the back of the drawer is, (well, for me,) to be a wind muffler for a microphone! This makes me smile. You are a wonderful songwriter. Thank you for this. I love it.

DelGriff - China
I know this whole album well. Love it. A truly great collection of beautiful though heart wrenching songs. This simple uke and vocal production really highlights the emotions in the lyrics and your voice. When i saw you have done this i was curious to hear the high, crying part in the mid section, and you did not disappoint at all with those long pauses where you strummed lightly, and the way you repeated the last line. I really love the pauses here. That was brilliant. It shows us what a sensitive and good musician you are Del. You did this in your own way, and it is just as sad and beautiful. Thank you! (More Tori Amos songs please!)

wee_ginga_yin - The arm of a friend over my shoulder (excerpt from a Walt Whitman poem set to music)
wow! I love that bass walk paired with your picking! Love the video too. And the bells add a whimsical, dreamy quality to this. Wonderful excerpt from his long poem! Can't think how it can get any better than what you have done here. Thank you so much for sharing!

Last edited:
no limit on entries. Post away.
Now I am going to go and do something else and then I will come back.
There is also a voice telling me to go check out songs from last week (and the week before last)...Geez
This is how I roll. Once I get into something, I really get into it.

Second coffee needed here.
Later, people!

Thanks for hosting Joo and Happy Birthday. This one is short, somewhat serious and slightly sad. It is one of the shortest of songs by Queen called Dear Friends. Tenor ukulele tuned to GCDG.

No YouTube video from me, sorry, so it isn't an entry for the Seasons, unless someone else would like to add their contribution to it, although I have deliberately kept it simple for clarity. I have had two of my songs recorded for the Seasons, by the lovely @bobjking and, most recently @joo, who it has also been a joy to collaborate with, so a massive Thank You! and a very Happy Birthday! to Joo for tomorrow.

Oh! I nearly forgot! Here's the song! Lyrics and download on Soundcloud.

Here's a SHORT song.

i saw this cap yesterday and immediately thought of a Philip Larkin poem, that's why i bought it. cost 2 dollars. today i put the poem to music, wearing the cap. a simple rough take.

Days
by PHILIP LARKIN

What are days for?
Days are where we live.
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
They are to be happy in:
Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving that question
Brings the priest and the doctor
In their long coats
Running over the fields.

No YouTube video from me, sorry, so it isn't an entry for the Seasons, unless someone else would like to add their contribution to it, although I have deliberately kept it simple for clarity. I have had two of my songs recorded for the Seasons, by the lovely @bobjking and, most recently @joo, who it has also been a joy to collaborate with, so a massive Thank You! and a very Happy Birthday! to Joo for tomorrow.

Oh! I nearly forgot! Here's the song! Lyrics and download on Soundcloud.

oh......
what a beautiful song and such a sweet gesture! THANK YOU! :love:
I am so moved!~ Actually, I was crying listening to this.
It was Andrew's(acharman) fault. His Dear Friends cover did something to my old heart, and tears started welling up. (CHECK THAT OUT, PEOPLE, THAT WAS SUBLIME, TO USE PABRIZZER'S COMMENT. )
And then I clicked on your song for me and that's it - I am a mess.

With mucous running down (not exaggerating) I had to run down to the shared carpark space to MOVE Mister T the cat away from the carpark, as I saw him rubbing himself on the ground dreamily, somewhat ecstatically while cars started driving in. (there must be catnip all over the ground there)

I had a pretty rough day yesterday and today as well. So this really moved me even more. Thank you Robert!
You are welcome to visit me in Singapore, "that's for sure"! 😉

Thanks for hosting, Joo!
Sheng ri kuai le

What a fun theme for Season 643!

Side- Splittingly Silly Song Starring Slithering, Cervesa- Stealing Serpent - Seventeen magazine
Terrific, Tastefully Titillating Tune, A Tribute To Tom T. Of Tick Ridge, Kentucky - The Turtletown Tennessee Tribune

Sneaky Snake

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting, Joo!
Sheng ri kuai le

What a fun theme for Season 643!

Side- Splittingly Silly Song Starring Slithering, Cervesa- Stealing Serpent - Seventeen magazine
Terrific, Tastefully Titillating Tune, A Tribute To Tom T. Of Tick Ridge, Kentucky - The Turtletown Tennessee Tribune

Sneaky Snake

That was delightful, Clark.
Xie Xie for your Sheng ri kuai le wishes!

WHAT KIND OF SHOES DO SNAKES WEAR? ANYONE?

And, speaking of snakes, anyone wanna try The Snakes Crawl At Night by Charley Pride?

I dunno if I am being too way ahead of everyone or if the Season is going sssslow....
I am here again, to end today with more S quotes.

Today's S word is SSShit.
Here are a few to ssshare :

When all is s**, become a fly.
Josh Holman

Oh s** it’s s**.
Stephen King

Bye for now!
Catch you tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hello Joo and Happy Birthday! I just recorded a famous Dutch nonsense song for you, with an even more fantastic story around it:

My father was a sailor, and he always told the most incredible stories, especially on birthday parties, so here is one of them:

“ Long ago I was in Shanghai, and there was another Dutch ship. We sat together with the other Dutchmen and of course we drank and sang and played music ( my father played the trumpet). We made up a nonsense song and had a lot of fun with it. One of the other Dutchmen was the brother of the famous Dutch comedian Toon Hermans, and he took the song to his brother, who made it famous.”

My father often sang the song for us, and this was his story. I don’t know if it’s true of course, but here’s the song. Without assistance of my husband so I had to improvise and you don’t see my head this time.

Oh! And I said DUTCH, didn’t I? So here are the lyrics to make that clear:

Notte belle Margarinetta,
Moetje’s wattoore,
Smoesjes d’ amore!
Luna, luna, fietsebel harmonica,
Luna, luna, Nel koppie thee!

Last edited:
That was delightful, Clark.
Xie Xie for your Sheng ri kuai le wishes!

WHAT KIND OF SHOES DO SNAKES WEAR? ANYONE?

And, speaking of snakes, anyone wanna try The Snakes Crawl At Night by Charley Pride?

I dunno if I am being too way ahead of everyone or if the Season is going sssslow....
I am here again, to end today with more S quotes.

Today's S word is SSShit.
Here are a few to ssshare :

When all is s**, become a fly.
Josh Holman

Oh s** it’s s**.
Stephen King

Bye for now!
Catch you tomorrow!
Ssssuede?

A bit of a silly song called Safety Dance by Men Without Hats. If you know me, that statement is probably not true 90% of the time, as I always have something on my head. For this video, it's my Seattle Mariners S hat. I also have on my Japan shirt, to match your Osaka shirt in the opening video, but it's even more S'y since it's from Shibuya!

Also, to fit the title and message of the song... I hope you all know it's safe to dance! If there were any SeasonS Side bets on who would dance first, well... I haven't watched all the entries, butt...

Thanks for the fun Season, Joo! Making this video made me laugh! I hope it does the same for you!

Hello Joo and Happy Birthday! I just recorded a famous Dutch nonsense song for you, with an even more fantastic story around it:

My father was a sailor, and he always told the most incredible stories, especially on birthday parties, so here is one of them:

“ Long ago I was in Shanghai, and there was another Dutch ship. We sat together with the other Dutchmen and of course we drank and sang and played music ( my father played the trumpet). We made up a nonsense song and had a lot of fun with it. One of the other Dutchmen was the brother of the famous Dutch comedian Toon Hermans, and he took the song to his brother, who made it famous.”

My father often sang the song for us, and this was his story. I don’t know if it’s true of course, but here’s the song. Without assistance of my husband so I had to improvise and you don’t see my head this time.

Oh! And I said DUTCH, didn’t I? So here are the lyrics to make that clear:

Moetje’s wattoore,
Smoesjes d’ amore!
Luna, luna, fietsebel harmonica,
Luna, luna, Nel koppie thee!

Wonderful!
Am I in the ballpark to very roughly translate as, “Margarinetta looks far better the night before than in the light of the next morning’s sun”?

Top Bottom