Season 643 of the Ukulele - S S S

Dear you who are reading this now,
Hope you are having a lovely morning, afternoon or evening! :D

This is day 6 of our 8-day Season, so it isn't too late to learn and record a song or 2 and share them with us!

If you are new here, my name is Joo, I am the host for this week. I am from Singapore.
I think of myself as a painter first but I also love playing the uke.
Everyone of any skill level is welcome to join in this week's theme!
I am an average player myself.
It is a friendly community. The few regulars will make you feel very much at home!
If you have been following the Seasons, you will notice that, each week, one of the things that hosts emphasise is that we watch and comment on each other's videos.
So, if this is your first time here, I hope you will spread that support to others here as well.
Your comment don't have to be long. A simple, "that was nice" is sometimes enough.

If I ever host again, my first rule will be this:
IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE DOING HERE, CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO WATCH AND COMMENT, PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR SONGS HERE. YOU MAY CHOOSE TO FLOOD THEM TO THE OPEN ARMS OF YOUTUBE OR SOMEWHERE ELSE. (I write this thinking of the few who have the habit of doing this. Other people might be cool with it, and honestly, it has been fine with me and I have been commenting on the videos of the few silent posters for a long time. But today I decided I am NOT gonna indulge in them anymore. It is not because I don't like them as people, I actually like a few of them A LOT. But nope. I don't like this strange habit I have noticed for a while. Knowing me though, I might just love a song they play and watch and comment spontaneously and forget about everything I say here! LOL. Come on, silent posters......🤨)

Ok. That's all I wanted to say!

Keep the songs coming in!!!! :LOL::D

Last edited:

This is day 6 of our 8-day Season, so it isn't too late to learn and record a song or 2 and share them with us!

If you are new here, my name is Joo, I am the host for this week. I am from Singapore.
It is a friendly community. The few regulars will make you feel very much at home!
If you have been following the Seasons, you will notice that, each week, one of the things that hosts emphasise is that we watch and comment on each other's videos.
So, if this is your first time here, I hope you will spread that support to others here as well.
Your comment don't have to be long. A simple, "that was nice" is sometimes enough.

IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE DOING HERE, CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO WATCH AND COMMENT, PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR SONGS HERE. YOU MAY CHOOSE TO FLOOD THEM TO THE OPEN ARMS OF YOUTUBE OR SOMEWHERE ELSE. (I write this thinking of the few who have the habit of doing this. Other people might be cool with it, and honestly, it has been fine with me and I have been commenting on the videos of the few silent posters for a long time. But today I decided I am NOT gonna indulge in them anymore. It is not because I don't like them as people, I actually like a few of them A LOT. But nope. I don't like this strange habit I have noticed for a while. Knowing me though, I might just love a song they play and watch and comment spontaneously and forget about everything I say here! LOL. Come on, silent posters......🤨)

I think we had a similar discussion on this subject a few weeks ago. We are, after all, a community here, and that involves being interested in and supportive of one another's efforts. If you are solely interested in your own performances, then, as you say, Joo, there is not much point in being here ... you might just as well post directly to YouTube.

Trying something different. One option in the intro video mentioned spoken word and the OP mentioned songs about what's in the video. This is what I came up with to meet those prompts...

Thanks for the fun Season, Joo!

Guilty! I am definitely one who posts more than comments. And I've been wanting to fix that, and occasionally making a start at it and then not keeping up.

Last year I started a discipline of making daily videos on my verandah whenever the Season limit allows, and that has had many benefits for me and helps keep me creative and happy.

I'm very aware that that also leads to me usually receiving more than I'm giving, and I don't love that, but have so far not figured out a good way to make that balance. And I'm very aware I need to find a way, because I'm hosting soon! It's been very much on my mind, and I've been experimenting but so far mostly failing.

I appreciate this kick in the pants to quit making excuses and DO BETTER.

Maybe the answer is to post one day and watch and comment the next. I just thought of this now ... AFTER I took advantage of the last bit of the afternoon's sunshine to make today's video.

Which of course you are very welcome and quite justified to ignore. (If you can help yourself ... because it's a fun one. Sorry ... truly. 🫣)

Silly? Sexy? '70s. Shake shake shake.

PS, I have started watching and commenting on this week's videos, starting with the most recent ones, because they tend to get less love than the early ones.

I am very guilty of this now too, but, like Wendy, I will be redoubling my efforts to listen and comment much more. (Please be assured that whenever I host I listen to every second of every song and comment on them all.)

Could I also add to Joo’s request, and ask new (indeed all) Seasonistas to please post their song comments on YouTube to stop the forum thread becoming overloaded and messy? It works much better this way. Thanks! 🙂

Reactions: joo
S is also for Sunshine. By Irving Berlin, 1928.

Love this! Alan was my my introduction to the Seasons of the Ukulele and UU. I know a few people on here follow jolieuke on YouTube but if you haven't already discovered them they are such a beacon of positivity you can't help but come away in a good mood, even if they only post at the start of the year!

Trying something different. One option in the intro video mentioned spoken word and the OP mentioned songs about what's in the video. This is what I came up with to meet those prompts...

Thanks for the fun Season, Joo!

YEAH! I LOVE HOW YOU EMBRACED THE THEME, CHRIS!!!
GREAT IMPROV!!!

as mentioned in my YouTube comment, i have not watched the intro video since i posted it. Hang on.. i did watch it again a day or 2 later. It was public at first, as i was trying to get other YouTubers to join us.

But watching it back made me cringe a bit. So i made it unlisted only for the lucky UU/Seasons community!😅
I hope it didn't turn some folks away....maybe that explains why it has been a little quiet this week here..🤔

Anyway. I am so glad you had fun, Chris.
Love all your entries!
Hey everyone reading this, check out Chris's Safety
Dance here. If you are not into the sillies and dancing....Chris's instrumental of Imagine is really lovely.

Thanks again, Chris! 😃

Great to see Wendy and Del stepping up to the plate (don't know why I used that metaphor because I'm not of the U.S.!) I honestly don't understand, though, what the problem IS when it comes to making time to watch/listen to other people's videos. I mean, if you can find the time to make a video of your own, then you SHOULD be able to find the time to comment on others' contributions. (SORRY ... how to make myself instantly and deeply unpopular by being far too blunt! It seems to me, though, that if you are going to embrace the ethos of being part of a group, then you HAVE to make time for others as well as for yourself. It shouldn't be regarded as some sort of irksome, time-consuming chore ... it should be part of the fun of belonging to a supportive community!)

Last edited:
I am very guilty of this now too, but, like Wendy, I will be redoubling my efforts to listen and comment much more. (Please be assured that whenever I host I listen to every second of every song and comment on them all.)

Could I also add to Joo’s request, and ask new (indeed all) Seasonistas to please post their song comments on YouTube to stop the forum thread becoming overloaded and messy? It works much better this way. Thanks! 🙂
I think you have only ever commented on one of my videos, Del, and that was when you were hosting, but since YouTube wasn't showing a lot of my comments the whole exercise of posting on here seems rather pointless, so I'd rather comment on here, or am I not allowed to do that, as a non-contributor? :LOL:

Last edited:
Hundreds of scarecrows standing silently in a field.

We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw

Roadside art installation at Suomussalmi. http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-silent-people

Only in Singapore

Good grief ... that salmon dispenser!!! Here in France, it is now possible to buy baguettes from a machine, and I thought THAT was pretty advanced ... but FROZEN SALMON!!!

Only in Singapore
HAHA! I haven't seen a salmon ATM in my suburb....Or maybe I have🤔...Not anymore though (I noted that the article is 2019)
Yes we do love Norwegian salmon. And many shops and eating places are open 24 hours.
And yes we vend everything. I am not aware that we vend luxury cars because I have never needed one, especially one from a vending machine!

I am currently working with a bunch of uke nerds on a vending machine that vend ukuleles!

• Haha
Reactions: joo
There is NOTHING near where I live ... I mean, NOTHING!!! (Apart from trees, that is!)
Val, try clicking on the link Rob shared and then click "Places Near Me". The first thing that shows up for my location is Blinking Snails. I saw photos of dead snails, or snail shells....they are not blinking.

Val, try clicking on the link Rob shared and then click "Places Near Me". The first thing that shows up for my location is Blinking Snails. I saw photos of dead snails, or snail shells....they are not blinking.
Ooh!!! Well, in truth, there used to be a snail FARM near here ... so I suppose that IS pretty interesting!

Here is a short instrumental. Bari uke in open D.

well i guess with that i shall call it a night. I think everyone is waiting for Graham to announce his theme. 😆

SSSSSee you tomorrow...
Unless i have a sudden urge to post another song! 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom