Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 610 - Season of the Who'kulele

hands_on_lanzon

Reaction score
Greetings Fellow and Aspiring Seasonistas!

This day got busier than expected, but I wanted to do a quick kick-off so folks can get started thinking about their entries. I will expand more when I get home later this evening. Home and editing!

Allow me to introduce the Season of the Who'kulele!

The Theme
The theme for this week is to try to sing a song where you're not being yourself! Maybe you can use it as prep for Halloween (hopefully I'm not intruding on the Season 611 theme planning😇), but for me, it's inspired by some of that, some from my upcoming trip to Mexico City, and lots of just liking weird things sometime. Here are some thoughts/ideas I had:
  • Wear a costume
  • Sing in a different voice
    • Now's your free pass to do that Bob Marley song in a Jamaican accent or go full Tom Waits or Louis Armstrong or whoever with no repercussions!
    • Sing a falsetto or an a lower register than normal
  • Sing in a different language!!
    • Even if it's your native language, I'd love to hear anything non-English this week!
  • If you're generally a nice person, harness the anger and sing a mean, hateful song! "Anger is a gift!"
    • Or vice versa! If you're grumpy and mean... sing a loving tender song in a major key!
  • If you normally do instrumentals, try singing
  • If you normally sing and play, try chord melody
  • Try a different genre. (Anyone got a freestyle in 'em?!)
  • Try multi-tracking for the first time!! Add an instrument or harmonies or percussion or random background noises.
Hopefully that's enough direction without going too overboard.
Please go crazy and go all out! The weirder the better. The more unrecognizable the better!!!

The Rules
  • No limit to number of entries. I'll do my best to keep up, but play away and free!
  • Videos should be recorded for this week. Usual exceptions apply.
  • Collaborations and multi-tracking are welcomed. As always, the 'ukulele must be in the forefront.
  • No videos should be posted before 12:00 AM Hawaii time, Sunday 10/22/2023.
  • Season ends at 11:59:59 PM Hawaii time next Sunday, 6/29/2023.
  • New Seasonistas may sing any song they want in any style with any amount of production or lack thereof. BE FREE!!
The Prize(s)
I'm going to be traveling to Mexico City this Thursday and will look out for something that I consider fun, weird, interesting enough to buy for a prize. If it makes sense, I'll try to buy a few. It may or not be music or 'ukulele related.

Cheers and have fun. I sure did when I made this first entry for the Season.

Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 610 - Season of the Who'kulele - PLAYLIST

And don't forget... Val's Season 609 is still going strong. So why not grab a snack and your uke, go enter a song, listen to the playlist and make some comments. That's what I'm doing right after I click save on this post!

Last edited:
Looks like a fun week!

Is the field of possible song choices "any song in the universe" ... or some narrower field, like songs that relate to the theme in some way, or ... ?

What a fabulous opening vid. I think I know what's on the other side! (It's a ukulele-playing Jawa.)

Last edited:
Looks like a fun week!

Is the field of possible song choices "any song in the universe" ... or some narrower field, like songs that relate to the theme in some way, or ... ?
Any song in any universe where you're trying to be not yourself. WhoCan1?! 😉

Also... I updated the OP with a few more ideas and hopefully some clarification. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
I love it when two of the songs I most wanted to do for the outgoing Season and haven't gotten to yet are also a good fit for the new Season.

The other one is a better fit than this one, but it got way more complicated when I added your theme to it, so I bailed for today and did this much simpler one. Hopefully I can pull off the other one tomorrow.

Here I am being someone I'm not ... an Italian mamma plying you with all sorts of yummy food. (You too skeeny! Mangia!)

(Come to think of it, this is basically the Italian-accented version of "Eat It", the other Weird Al song I did at the beginning of 609.)

Here's another by Weird Al Yankovic, "Lasagna" (parody of "La Bamba").

Bonus cockatoo visit / accompaniment with ad lib silliness.

A great idea for the week, Chris and I love the video! Any voice I manage to come up with this week will undoubtedly be weird, because, at the moment, it's virtually non-existent. Really looking forward to hearing what other people will bring!

woohoo!
Love the theme, Chris!!!
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw your theme this morning was -
I AM GONNA BE SOME OF THE SEASONISTAS!!!
For my last season, I was gonna host a theme on "play and sing like your fellow seasonistas" but a friend told me that people might be offended if the imitation is not flattering....
I think most of my Seasons friends don't take themselves too seriously, so I did it for your theme, Chris!

I recorded these 3 videos impromptu, with affection. Please don't feel offended, seasonistas who I tried to imitate.
I did the last one first, this morning. (see the difference in light?)
And in the afternoon I did the other 2.
I thought i should post them all together in one post.

(I edited Ylle's name because I pronounced it wrongly the first time...I hope I got it right when I added the voiceover, Ylle)

woohoo!
Love the theme, Chris!!!
For my last season, I was gonna host a theme on "play and sing like your fellow seasonistas" but a friend told me that people might be offended if the imitation is not flattering....
I think most of my Seasons friends don't take themselves too seriously, so I did it for your theme, Chris!

I recorded these 3 videos impromptu, with affection. Please don't feel offended, seasonistas who I tried to imitate.

(I edited Ylle's name because I pronounced it wrongly the first time...I hope I got it right when I added the voiceover, Ylle)

didn't know that I sounded so good 🥰

Hello, Chris! I honestly didn't think that I'd be able to produce anything today - and I'm not sure I have - but I thought that doing it might prove somewhat therapeutic. (The cloak that I am wearing is a "magician's" one, made for my, then, six-year old younger son by his aunt - it DID have one of those long strings of handkerchiefs to pull out of the pocket, but that seems to have disappeared in the mists of time.) The weird voice is totally my own!

Last edited:
woohoo!
Love the theme, Chris!!!

:love::ROFLMAO:🥰🥸🤔🤪 <--ALL THIS and more. It was hard to not crack up! I know I'm already know I'm gonna love this Season and I hope folks have as much fun as you seemed to have making these and I definitely had watching 'em. Your friend may have been right about taking imitation the wrong way, but I'm hoping this Seasons gives a little freedom and the Seasonistas you chose are understanding. I, personally, think you nailed each one! 👏🔨👏

Hi Chris! I hope this sort of thing is what you had in mind... it's a song I like but would never do because it is, basically, nasty. It's pretty much a relentless stream of abuse. The way the original fades out, it seems as if Bob is just pausing for a moment while he thinks up a bit more. I wonder if there's a sequel where it fades back in again... maybe in the sequel, Bob doesn't hold back so much and tells us how he really feels.

Anyway. I'd never do it, but, fortunately, Judas T Steam is on hand to have a go. You can tell it's not be because I wouldn't wear sunglasses indoors. I did help with the overdubs though.

There is, if you're counting: bass and drums provided by Band-in-a-Box, a distorted baritone uke, a bit of organ and then a piano comes in for the second half. Plus what you see in the video, of course.

Last edited:
This is a song in Dutch, and it is loosely is based on Fragile by Sting. I based the lyrics on a version of Kwetsbaar by a duo called Buitengewoon!, but added some changes I thought made it better. I put the translation to English under the video

A great sadness, told in a song
Misery in your life, comes like a thief
The rain is falling, the future feels bleak
Everything is different now,
what will the future be
what will the future be
Rain is crying from the heavens
Like streams of pain
Like streams of pain

Whatever happens, are there people who stand next to you
Are you alone in this pain, was there a voice that said
The world is too small for this sadness
Don't forget
How fragile we are
How fragile we are

Rain is crying from the heavens
Like streams of pain
Like streams of pain

In these times we know
How fragile we are
How fragile we are

I just realized this original from last week fits my theme as well!.. I do bit of an accent and I also have only gone fishing less than 10 times in my life and I don't think ever from a beach... I guess a pier, but not the way I envision this song. Anyways.. I felt like sharing my 2nd Season original in case ya missed it last Season!

Top Bottom