Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 610 - Season of the Who'kulele

LORD help us and have mercy.

The word also commonly appears in Christian hymns and hymns , the most famous of which in Finland is the Hoosianna hymn composed by GJ Vogler (hymn 1 in the current hymnal ).

Singing the Hosanna hymn on the first Sunday of Advent is an old tradition in Finland and Sweden. The anthem is more than 200 years old.

Hoosianna, Daavidin Poika,
kiitetty olkoon hän!
Kiitetty Daavidin Poika,
joka tulee Herran nimeen.
Hoosianna, hoosianna,
hoosianna, hoosianna!
Kiitetty Daavidin Poika,
joka tulee Herran nimeen.

Last edited:
A not too convincing disguise...

Bésame, bésame mucho,
Como si fuera esta noche la última vez.
Bésame, bésame mucho,
Que tengo miedo a perderte, perderte después.

Quiero tenerte muy cerca,
Mirarme en tus ojos, verte junto a mí.
Piensa que tal vez mañana
Yo ya estaré lejos, muy lejos de tí.

Bésame, bésame mucho,
Como si fuera esta noche la última vez.
Bésame, bésame mucho,
Que tengo miedo a perderte, perderte después.

English Translation

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
As if tonight were the last time.
Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
I fear to lose you, to lose you afterward.

I want to have you very close,
See myself in your eyes, see you next to me.
Think that maybe tomorrow
I’ll already be far, far away from you.

Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
As if tonight were the last time.
Kiss me, kiss me a lot,
I fear to lose you, to lose you afterward.

Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose.

excerpt from Gertrude Stein's 1913 poem "Sacred Emily". (which I have absolutely no idea what it's about)

(Rose is a girl...wait...rose is a rose? Hang on...Rose is a lovely girl who hates roses...but likes ice cream...wait, i am confused...)

here is the excerpt I read out -

Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose.
Loveliness extreme.
Extra gaiters.
Loveliness extreme.
Sweetest ice-cream.

Page ages page ages page ages.

an experiment with overlaying videos...

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be fine if armies of soldiers ever did was learn to dance,
and if ever there was a conflict it would be settled by a dancing
competion, and instead of the military industrial complex making money, it would be the fashion industry for designing the most extravagant costumes. (Brought to mind by Joo's overlay)

You got me singing Even tho' the news is bad
You got me singing The only song I ever had
You got me singing Ever since the river died
You got me thinking Of the places we could hide
You got me singing Even though the world is gone
You got me thinking I'd like to carry on
You got me singing Even tho' it all looks grim
You got me singing The Hallelujah hymn
You got me singing Like a prisoner in a jail
You got me singing Like my pardon's in the mail
You got me wishing Our little love would last
You got me thinking Like those people of the past
You got me singing Even though the world is gone
You got me thinking I'd like to carry on
You got me singing Even tho' it all went wrong
You got me singing The Hallelujah song

I have no idea why I'm awake at 3am PST, but here we are at the halfway point of Season 610 and it's been a doozy!
The Playlist is currently at 35 videos (hopefully I haven't missed any).

We got originals!
We got covers!
We got Spanish, French, Dutch, Finnish!
We got costumes!
We got new hairdos!
We got accents!
We got humor!
We got some heavy stuff! Some mean stuff! Some lovey dovey stuff.
We got new guest Seasonistas!
We got an existing Seasonista recording herself on video for the first time!!!
Sift thru the thread or Playlist and have some listens and views. Share some comments.
I'm tellin' ya! A real doozy!

If you're out there and thinking, "Should I join the Seasonistas? But they're a buncha weirdos."
Well.. have I got a Season for YOU!!!
This is the perfect time to join for the first time... act completely normal or completely cuckoo! No one will ever know! 🤪
Don't take my word for it...
Dark Kermit.jpg

I'm excited to see what entries await the 2nd half of the week!
Have you been planning, plotting and practicing your performance? Perfect!! Please proceed to post! ✌🏽

Hello again, Chris ... I bring you more French! It struck me the other day when I was listening to the radio in the car that a lot of French female singers - especially in the Sixties - sang in very breathy, "little girl" voices. I have attempted to reproduce this here - unsuccessfully, I think; I still sound just like me trying to sing with a cold. This song, written by Serge Gainsbourg for Jane Birkin, is very elegiac, written as it was in 1978, only a few years after the end of the Sixties. (Apparently, Elvis died the day before the song was due to be recorded and Gainsbourg added his name to the list of "Disparus" at the last minute.)

In the early 1950's there was a series on Russian television called Rawhide. It dealt with herding of reindeer in the Arctic wastes of Siberia The main character was a young prisoner called Rosvo Roope who had escaped from the Gulag and now spent most of his time chasing reindeer in search of a huge bull stag with a big red nose. One of the most loved character was the cantankerous cook, Yrjö Pukkipesu Toivoluu and most of the memorable dialogues was between him a Roope and their discussions about fish soup or the need for more beetroot in their diet.

The reindeer drive was from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Novosibirsk and the director was the great Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein who was famous for the silent movie Battleship Potemkin. The music was specially commissioned by The Five, also known as The Mighty Handful or The Mighty Coterie.

The took it in turn to compose music for each series. It has long been contested who was responsible for the theme tune Rawhide. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov being a brash and bold character claimed that it was him but most critics believe at the authorship really belongs to Modest Mussorgsky, but as his name suggest he was too modest to lay claim to the composition.

The CBS network bought the rights from Eintstein and on Friday nights, from January 9, 1959 and American version of Rawhide was aired in America. It ran for a total of 8 seasons, but with the advent of the cold war the russians refused to translate anymore episodes of "Rakkanähka" and the American series ended.

The russian originals are into their twelfth rerun in Albania. They are screened back to back with Norman Wisdom black and white films.

Last edited:
Hello again! Here's a song from Blood On The Tracks, which is my favourite Bob Dylan album. Well, I say it's my favourite, but that's because I'm not counting Blonde on Blonde or Bringing It All Back Home or Highway 61 Revisited which are also my favourite. Also the other ones which are my favourite too.

But, right now, Blood On The Tracks is my favourite, because this song I just sang was on it. Anyway. I've thought about doing it for a season a few times before, and ended up not doing it, because it is really quite angry and grumpy and bitter, and that's not the kind of song I like to do even if, like any human, I am angry grumpy and bitter from time to time. But it's such a good one... so here it is. And it was fun to play :).

I kind of rushed through it, I think, so I managed it in under 7 minutes. Don't feel you need to put up with the whole thing :).

I kind of rushed through it, I think, so I managed it in under 7 minutes. Don't feel you need to put up with the whole thing :)
I have to admit, I hadn't messed with playback speed on YT until now. 😁 once you said you rushed thru, I had to it at 1.5 speed and 0.5 speed to feel the difference.

I have to admit, I hadn't messed with playback speed on YT until now. 😁 once you said you rushed thru, I had to it at 1.5 speed and 0.5 speed to feel the difference.
Haha! Well, it wasn't deliberate, but the original is a touch under 8 minutes so my tempo might have been a bit fast... 1.5 speed might be interesting, maybe I should see what it's like that way :)

We will all become orphans or the walking wounded, and there is hardly a crumb of comfort to go around.
My attempt at Tom Waits

Well, the smart money's on Harlow and the moon is in the street
And the shadow boys are breaking all the laws
And you're east of East Saint Louis and the wind is making speeches
And the rain sounds like a round of applause
And Napoleon is weeping in a carnival saloon
His invisible fiancee's in the mirror
And the band is going home, it's raining hammers, it's raining nails
And it's true there's nothing left for him down here
And it's time, time, time
And it's time, time, time, that you love
And they all pretend they're orphans and their memory's like a train
You can see it getting smaller as it pulls away
And the things you can't remember tell the things you can't forget
That history puts a saint in every dream
Well, she said she'd stick around until the bandages came off
But these mama's boys just don't know when to quit
And Mathilda asks the sailors "are those dreams or are those prayers?"
So close your eyes, son, and this won't hurt a bit
Oh, it's time, time, time
And it's time, time, time that you love
Well, things are pretty lousy for a calendar girl
The boys just dive right off the cars and splash into the street
And when they're on a roll she pulls a razor from her boot
And a thousand pigeons fall around her feet
So put a candle in the window and a kiss upon his lips
As the dish outside the window fills with rain
Just like a stranger with the weeds in your heart
And pay the fiddler off 'til I come back again
Oh, it's time, time, time
And it's time, time, time that you love

Last edited:
In the early 1950's there was a series on Russian television called Rawhide. It dealt with herding of reindeer in the Arctic wastes of Siberia The main character was a young prisoner called Rosvo Roope who had escaped from the Gulag and now spent most of his time chasing reindeer in search of a huge bull stag with a big red nose. One of the most loved character was the cantankerous cook, Yrjö Pukkipesu Toivoluu and most of the memorable dialogues was between him a Roope and their discussions about fish soup or the need for more beetroot in their diet.

The reindeer drive was from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Novosibirsk and the director was the great Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein who was famous for the silent movie Battleship Potemkin. The music was specially commissioned by The Five, also known as The Mighty Handful or The Mighty Coterie.

The took it in turn to compose music for each series. It has long been contested who was responsible for the theme tune Rawhide. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov being a brash and bold character claimed that it was him but most critics believe at the authorship really belongs to Modest Mussorgsky, but as his name suggest he was too modest to lay claim to the composition.

The CBS network bought the rights from Eintstein and on Friday nights, from January 9, 1959 and American version of Rawhide was aired in America. It ran for a total of 8 seasons, but with the advent of the cold war the russians refused to translate anymore episodes of "Rakkanähka" and the American series ended.

The russian originals are into their twelfth rerun in Albania. They are screened back to back with Norman Wisdom black and white films.

Move 'em on, head 'em up, head 'em up, move 'em on, move 'em on, head 'em up, Rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, ride 'em in, cut 'em out, cut 'em out, ride 'em in, Rawhide
Rollin', rollin', rollin', , ,

We didn't have a TV when I was a teenager and I never understood why my friends gave me the nickname "Rowdy". Some of the high school buddies I've reconnected with on Facebook still want to call me "Rowdy". (My full name is Jim Yates.)

Move 'em on, head 'em up, head 'em up, move 'em on, move 'em on, head 'em up, Rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, ride 'em in, cut 'em out, cut 'em out, ride 'em in, Rawhide
Rollin', rollin', rollin', , ,

We didn't have a TV when I was a teenager and I never understood why my friends gave me the nickname "Rowdy". Some of the high school buddies I've reconnected with on Facebook still want to call me "Rowdy". (My full name is Jim Yates.)
if you had posh poetic friends they might have called you William Butler🤭

Pancho & Lefty- written by Townes Van Zandt and immortalized by Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris & Merle Haggard
I chose to disguise myself as someone who can carry a tune :ROFLMAO:. Since I had already blown far past the 3-minute mark by verse 2, I omitted the final one.

Thank you, Dennis (@Wiggy) for passing along the chord progression in advance of your September visit to north GA. I continue to regret not being able to meet and jam with you while we were within an hour’s drive of each other.

Last edited:
Time for another, late night and loud to annoy the neighbours. Several ways this fits the theme. Part of the song is in French (with my appalling accent). The ukulele does not sound much like a ukulele with the effects. And finally, I'm pretending to be an angry stalker.

Okee dokee, uke lovers! I've decided that the winner(s) this week will get a luchador mask from Mexico City!
This is not my picture and I have yet to come across a mask vendor, but I'm on the hunt.
I don't know how many winners I will choose (or how many masks I will buy), but I'd likely say 1 for sure and 3 mask max. 😉

There's still a full day to get your who'kulele songs in and maybe even do a boyband/girlband for SOTU 611!!

1698561016495.png

Top Bottom