Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 629 - Season of the Cuckoo'lele

Still settling in at my new recording space

I recorded "O' Sanity" by Yoko Ono early this week because I sympathize with her long-term struggle with grief.

I've also understood myself as a melancholy person ever since I first looked up the word, so this Gorillaz song is great for me this week as well.

Thanks, Chris, for the fun and meaningful Season!
Much the same as a prehistoric Welshcorgisaur, I was drawn to the low hanging fruit :ROFLMAO: which for this Season is Billy Joel’s You May Be Right.

Last edited:
I don't have any audio proof yet but I'm getting closer.

I've been getting in the habit of writing out charts lately and it really helps with the memorization / learning process.

If anyone was ever curious at how I learn so many parts on my multi tracks, this is usually step one. Note - the shortest pencil is better than the longest memory.

Anyway, I made a first pass at a piano / ukulele duet and the timing is fine except I added an extra line in the verse which threw off my melody...but it's all good because I've been learning the notes in the chorus while at the office since I don't have that down yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20240307_091730.jpg
    IMG_20240307_091730.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240307_145503.jpg
    IMG_20240307_145503.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, Chris, for the fun and meaningful Season!
Much the same as a prehistoric Welshcorgisaur, I was drawn to the low hanging fruit :ROFLMAO: which for this Season is Billy Joel’s You May Be Right.

There is of course no possible way of stating this that doesn’t seem self- serving but:
Around 2:00 PM Eastern US time today, someone posted a very kind and constructive comment on my YT channel about this cover.
In the process of typing out a reply, I accidentally deleted the comment. If you posted it, please accept my thanks and my apology for my “fat thumb” carelessness.:rolleyes:

This started as a bit of daftness whilst testing two microphones . Then I thought that this would fit the season as both Sellers and Milligan suffered from significant mental health issues, even though those issues were probably in some part, what made them so brilliant and fantastic. Sellers suffered from a lack of self identity and Milligan was a manic depressive. But gods they could make you laugh !!! Oh and Sellers was an accomplished ukulele player and indeed featured on a Steeleye Span album playing New York Girls.

Thank you for hosting, Chris - and for choosing a theme that I’m sure we can all personally relate to in one way or another.

My song choice here is a little unusual, in that I’ve never knowingly heard it played by the original artists, the Ramones. I only know it because the amazingly talented and much missed Liz Brinker covered it brilliantly, shortly before she disappeared from the Seasons about 18 months ago. 😢 I hope you’re okay, Liz!

In my cover there’s baritone uke with some GarageBand effects all the way through, a couple of cameo appearances by my tenor uke, and various synth additions and vocal harmonies too. But it’s still not a patch on what Liz achieved with just a couple of ukes and her wonderful vocals.

an original poem for the season
w/ some improvised musical accompaniment on baritone ukes
making this video was a labour of love
xo

Freud said that the ability to work is a measure of our mental health. You and your son working together are evidence of Happier times. I shared your poem with my wife and also the idea that Freud had and she remarked that sometimes folks are too focused on working hard that they suffer from burnout... she should know she spent 10 years looking after her mother and it took its toll.

I have also thought that a better measure of mental health would be the ability to play, and yesterday it was international book day and the members of the family took a photo portraying the title of a book and shared them on WhatsApp and we had to guess what it would be... Can you guess what it was?
IMG_20240307_101513_resize_28.jpg

Last edited:
Freud said that the ability to work is a measure of our mental health. I shared your poem with my wife and also the idea that Freud had and she remarked that sometimes folks are too focused on working hard that they suffer from burnout... she should know she spent 10 years looking after her mother and it took its toll.

I have also thought that a better measure of mental health would be the ability to play, and yesterday it was international book day and the members of the family took a photo portraying the title of a book and shared them on WhatsApp and we had to guess what it would be... Can you guess what it was?
View attachment 167986
A Tale of Two Cities OR
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

yesterday it was international book day and the members of the family took a photo portraying the title of a book and shared them on WhatsApp and we had to guess what it would be... Can you guess what it was?
Or, could it be...
The Lord of the Rings? (just because there is a ring....?
OK, back to work.

Reactions: TBB
Freud said that the ability to work is a measure of our mental health. I shared your poem with my wife and also the idea that Freud had and she remarked that sometimes folks are too focused on working hard that they suffer from burnout... she should know she spent 10 years looking after her mother and it took its toll.

View attachment 167986
The Twits? Roald Dahl? ( It’s the beard Rob…..)

Top Bottom