Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 629 - Season of the Cuckoo'lele

I don't know why, but, for some reason, I find it quite difficult to picture you being "into" Jane Austen, John!
I only got 2/3 through and kind of lost interest. It always comes up as a book “ you need to read”…I quite enjoyed it but not enough to persevere . My reading ability is diminishing with age.

I don't know why, but, for some reason, I find it quite difficult to picture you being "into" Jane Austen, John!
Dear gods, Jane bluddy Austen. I remember we did "Persuasion" for one of our books at "A" Level. I hated it....and I read Northanger Abbey as well ,because they are published together....can't recall a word. Now, Gulliver's Travels , brillopads all four books. Houyhnhnm and Yahoos ...houyhnhnm has to be the best onamatapeia for a horses neigh ever. As for Yahoos, obviously the Yahoo company never read Dean Swifts satire.😏😂😂

Dear gods, Jane bluddy Austen. I remember we did "Persuasion" for one of our books at "A" Level. I hated it....and I read Northanger Abbey as well ,because they are published together....can't recall a word. Now, Gulliver's Travels , brillopads all four books. Houyhnhnm and Yahoos ...houyhnhnm has to be the best onamatapeia for a horses neigh ever. As for Yahoos, obviously the Yahoo company never read Dean Swifts satire.😏😂😂

yea I was doing the the highest level English and one of our books was JA's " Emma"...completely incomprehensible to a 16 year old boy. It was one of the reasons I dropped down to a lower level English.:)

SOTU 629 Cuckoo'lele (and a little geetar) "Folsom Prison Blues"

I struggled with whether or not this fitted the brief.

I think it does, then doubts assail me and then I don't. Its a Blues (even if only nominally) ,its about a tough time, there are allusions to mental anguish "those people keep on moving, that's what tortures me" "I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry".

It also has my first ever successful (ish) attempt at playing trainbeats on the DD-70 drum box. Sadly my camera was playing up and didn't record the video but I captured the sound on mic.

The video of the guitar was also skewed because although I recorded through two mics, one a dynamic placed in front of the geetar amp and a condenser to record the voice sound for the video. I discovered that cubase kills anything that it isn't using , which was the dynamic mic, and so ,no sound to camera. So I did the vocals again whilst watching the vid in Cubase 13. Lip syncing ain't that easy !! Eventually got one close enough for Rock 'n' Roll.

So after all that I feel stressed and in need of a long lie down in a cool darkened room.

yea I was doing the the highest level English and one of our books was JA's " Emma"...completely incomprehensible to a 16 year old boy. It was one of the reasons I dropped down to a lower level English.:)
Well, unlike you lot, I went all modern for A Level English and did the likes of Virginia Woolf and T. S. Eliot ... fabulous stuff! (I DO remember having to wade through "Far From The Madding Crowd" for O Level/GCSE, though ... a horrible, dingy little book covered in dark blue cloth; I've never been a Thomas Hardy fan!)

I think this might be the most bonkers Season thread I've seen a while. I'm enjoying it! 🤪

It's contagious folks. Be careful what posts you read or song entries you listen to!
IMHO (FWIW), @CeeJay ’s Folsom Prison Blues meets the Season rules. The loss of one’s freedom of movement (whatever the root cause) is the ultimate sadness. A certain 1966 Mel Tiliis tune covered by Waylon Jennings and Kenny Rogers and written in the first person voice of a paralyzed Vietnam veteran comes to mind.
Its subject matter is too sad for me to tackle. “It wasn’t me that started that old crazy Asian war but I was proud to go and do my patriotic chore” just breaks my heart every time I hear it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom