Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 642 - Much Love for the PNDub

Whoever thought up the idea of zero... thanks for nothing.

This song is about getting to nothing - letting go of all the something that holds us down. It's meant as a kind of Buddhist chant.

"Saved By Zero" by The Fixx

"The Love I'm Searching For", by PDX band the Rentals, from 1995. Gotta REPRESENT! 👍 For concert ukulele and singing with an overdub of Ashbory Ubass and secondary vocal. Thanks for hosting, Chris!

Last edited:
That Portlandia clip reminded me of this one I liked.

I need to find this series ... thank you, Johns (North and South) for introducing it to me!

Hey Chris, I spotted the ghost of Jimi Hendrix on your Seattle musicians list, and got him to perform here for the Battle Of The Gentle Bands. He's mellowed a bit since his last appearance. He's vegan now.

Hey, Chris! Hey, everybody!

It's been a while but I dropped in to check out the new theme and, as luck would have it, I have a song that I already know which is a perfect fit.
A Michael Hurley song from his 1976 album, Long Journey.
No need to practice, no frills, straight to phone!

Thanks for hosting!

Going out on a hosting limb and awarding my first prize, not 4hrs into the Season. This little guy below is gonna go out to the PNW's own, @UkeFoote !

Brian always brings the coolest, inspirational, multitrack versions of unique songs. I admire his love for the uke, hosting the Seaons Open Mic quite reguarly, with poise, patience, and a quick sense of humor. He also teaches uke (not sure if it's all in-person or via zoom), and performs locally while streaming worldwide. I'm bummed I missed his recent performance, but I'm stoked to send out this little "thank you" for all you do. I feel like it's something you might put to better use than most of us, with all your chords, multiple instrument sizes, and it might even be helpful with students. Check it out!

Thanks for hosting, Chris.

Cartoonist John Callahan was from Portland.

I covered his song Touch Me Some Place I Can Feel for your Mental Health week, i think. I shall cover a few others of his this week. Here is one i strummed very simply.

Maybe the lyrics of this song are from his personal experience.
The paragraph below is taken from Wikipedia:
"According to his memoir, Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot, the nun, Sister Joseph of Mary, chose him as her surrogate child and insisted he sit with her at recess and not play with the other children, constantly telling him how special he was."

He started drinking at the age of 12 to hide the pain of his abuse.

More from Wikipedia:
"After the car accident that caused his spinal cord injury, he went through extensive rehabilitation. At age 27, he gave up drinking alcohol."

here is my cover. I wore my camouflage boonie...
because i think it was necessary to wear it while singing this song.

In case anyone is curious, those naive paintings were painted by me some years ago. No purple winos but a couple curious fish.
EDIT: I just finished watching the videos for this week (didn't comment on all...but Charley, i loved seeing the rain bonnet appear here.)...
everyone plays and sings so well. Great theme, Chris. Love it when you host.

Last edited:
YOU DON'T KNOW ME - Cindy Walker & Eddy Arnold

I don't think of Seattle as being a home of country music, nor of Ray Charles as being a country singer, but I love the way he did this song.
I also love the way Wil Maring and Robert Bowlin do it. Norah Jones also knocks it outa the park.

Last edited:
YOU DON'T KNOW ME - Cindy Walker & Eddy Arnold

I don't think of Seattle as being a home of country music, nor of Ray Charles as being a country singer, but I love the way he did this song.

Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music was an outstanding album by Ray Charles and probably one of his best. I need to revisit that one soon.

Here's one I've been working on since last week. @Caspar submitted it for Season 641 and did a fine job. The last verse mentions nothing a couple of times. Plus it's got a bit a gloominess considering the story it tells.

I'm working on a grunge piece and need a couple more days with it, so I'll be back again this week!

It’s me and kid sensation in the home away from home, the black Benz limo with the cellular phone….
So stuck in my head right now.

Going out on a hosting limb and awarding my first prize, not 4hrs into the Season. This little guy below is gonna go out to the PNW's own, @UkeFoote !

Brian always brings the coolest, inspirational, multitrack versions of unique songs. I admire his love for the uke, hosting the Seaons Open Mic quite reguarly, with poise, patience, and a quick sense of humor. He also teaches uke (not sure if it's all in-person or via zoom), and performs locally while streaming worldwide. I'm bummed I missed his recent performance, but I'm stoked to send out this little "thank you" for all you do. I feel like it's something you might put to better use than most of us, with all your chords, multiple instrument sizes, and it might even be helpful with students. Check it out!

That’s a lovely gesture, Chris! And can I echo everything you’ve said about Brian Fergus @UkeFoote here - he’s a great guy and one of my all-time ukulele heroes to boot. 👍🏼

Top Bottom