Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 642 - Much Love for the PNDub

Don't be intimidated or held back by theme! New Seasonistas can play whatever they want... or by rules, do you mean the overall rules of the forum? I'd love to hear an instrumental line too! If you're inspired, we'll take whatever you got.

Also, no pressure if you can't get it done by tomorrow. Feel free to work on it to your content and submit it for a future season! Either way, I'm glad a search got you here and I also hope you found the Japanese music shop. Let me know if you have any questions! Happy to help!
I assume there’s some explicit lyrics limits (to protect ad revenues if nothing else!). I will see how much uke time I went tonight. We just went on a tuba field trip (my autistic teen adores marching bands), so that might get me some playing time. In any case, cool theme :)

I assume there’s some explicit lyrics limits (to protect ad revenues if nothing else!). I will see how much uke time I went tonight. We just went on a tuba field trip (my autistic teen adores marching bands), so that might get me some playing time. In any case, cool theme :)
Thanks! There was a theme to do songs with swear words, in the past. I've only been around for a lil over a year and have done "I'm on a Boat."... this is to say, swearing is all good!! I gave that song a listen and enjoyed the message. Filipinos also have a bit of matriarchal tendencies!

Thanks! There was a theme to do songs with swear words, in the past. I've only been around for a lil over a year and have done "I'm on a Boat."... this is to say, swearing is all good!! I gave that song a listen and enjoyed the message. Filipinos also have a bit of matriarchal tendencies!
Hahaha yes you do!

I’ve heard the song performed live, and it was really awesome.

Hahaha yes you do!

I’ve heard the song performed live, and it was really awesome.
I don’t think there has ever been a hard rule about language. There have been lots of songs over the years that contain one or more common (English) four letter words. Most of us just put a note in the post to say that the song contains swears. Like an old Parental Advisory sticker.

Inspired by @LimousinLil to go play outside. Even tho it's just on my driveway, it's nice to play with some fresh air and birds. Not so nice are the intermittent passing planes and traffic noise. Helps work the brain on that concentration and patience tho!

Here's my soprano take on 'Today' by Smashing Pumpkins.

Fun one to learn for this week. It was nice going thru and listening to grunge playlists to see what might transfer well to the uke... relived a bit of the 90s vibe for sure. It also made me realize how regional music is, as my wife probably doesn't know half the songs, since she grew up in the SF Bay Area and their radio selection was quite a bit different than ours. That just makes this Season's playlist all the more like home home.

Do note, I'm rockin the new tie dye UU shirt!!.. along with my new Seattle Mariners hat that I actually got in Japan. 😁 I thought it quite fitting! Also... wanted to highlight the Japanese maple in our front yard that I've been pruning! 🤩 this thing has taught me a few lessons, for sure.

Hi folks!
I have been away for a while, but it is nice to see you are celebrating my home state of Oregon.

I think this is one of the greatest songs of all time, and it came straight outta PDX.

side note... I was just thinking of other meanings for PNW that could be fitting. I'd love to hear some of your ideas, if you're willing to share.

The first one that came to mind...
PNW - Precipitation NotWithstanding
Well, I have spent entirely too much time today Pursuing Nerdy Witticisms, and then trying to find Suitably Silly Songs.

At long last it dawned on me, that Plants Need Water. A YouTube search netted me this delightful ditty delivered by Ernie. As it is a short, silly Sesame Street song, it also suits Joo's SSS standards.

• Love
Reactions: joo
...another villanella whose title is “Se del fedel servir nulla n'acquisto” (“If I gain nothing from faithful service”)
Elisabet Bishop, for some time a professor in Seattle (Washington University), wrote "One Art", (a Villanelle whose form is perhaps related to the Italian Villanellas); It's about losses (and ... if you keep losing there's nothing left, so ... from Seattle to nothing)

So I’ve been working on this classic 1980s Filipino song this week, and I guess time’s up! The title can be translated to ‘Nothing in Return’ or ’Nothing in Exchange’. It’s a song about unrequited love. The composer Rey Valera later says that the inspiration for the song was a story about a gay man falling in love with a man who could not love him back.

I MADE IT! Guys, my voice has been just a disaster trying to recover from this bug. It still doesn't feel quite right, so I might just engage a vocal coach to get me back on track and build some resilience. So frustrating!

Anyway, my husband says I sound great, and as moving to the PNW was a lifelong dream only recently achieved, I really wanted in on Chris' theme.

This is NOT the Brandi Carlile song I've been working on, as the pipes are not yet up to it. But this is another I had in the back catalog. If y'all like Brandi, I highly recommend her memoir, Broken Horses, on audio. She closes out each chapter with a gorgeous and intimate recording of the songs discussed in the text. It feels like a wee, private concert. I'm glad I bought it instead of getting it from the library, as all the songs are collected in a bonus chapter at the end. I'm going to keep coming back to it.
A song by one of Seattle's finest

If you've never listened to Portland, Oregon's most influential punk band, the Wipers, you've been missing out. Their first record - Is This Real? - is absolutely wonderful

And don't be put off listening to the Wipers by my not-so-good version of their Portland anthem "Tragedy"

Sneaking in one last go in the waning (not raining) minutes of the Season.

Still noodling on alternate PNW initialisms, and shamelessly pandering to our awesome host, I came up with Pinoy New Wave.

(Pinoy = Filipino, but that starts with an F.)

The Dawn appears to be one of the biggest bands of this PNW, and "Enveloped Ideas" one of their signature hits ... but really I have no idea.

It was fun anyway, and short and silly enough to qualify for 643 to boot.

It also fits for "zero", since the lyrics mention "having nothing to say".

Check out The Dawn performing this live - they're pretty great!

• Love
Reactions: joo
Alrighty!! The playlist is up to date and I'd like to believe I've listened to and commented on all the entries. Please let me know if I've somehow missed adding your song to the playlist or didn't get to comment.

We have a total of 83 songs on the list, with a great variety of all theme options. I'll be back with a proper wrap tomorrow, but I would like to highlight
If you haven't had a chance to check out their vids, click above and drop 'em a warm Seasons welcome!

Hi Chris - I can't see a comment for this one, but sometimes they haven't been showing up on my channel lately. Cheers matey :)
Aha! I distinctly remember writing and re-writing a comment for this one. I wonder what happened. First, I was typing it out, while listening on the Playlist, got distracted, then it skipped to the next video before I submitted the comment... so it disappeared. I went back to your video and re-wrote the comment and definitely entered it. Thennnnnn.. I went to the next video on the Playlist and the first comment somehow showed up there! So I deleted it from the video after yours. I wonder if it somehow got confused and deleted the comment from your video? Technology can be quite weird sometimes, eh?

I'll write the comment here, because I liked it that much.

Nice one, Del! I never had issues with any numbers before, but now 3 is on my bad side! I think I used to actually like 3. Can you imagine someone listening to this song in the rain at 3:33?.. might just break down in tears! Have you heard why Yoda said 5 is afraid of 7?

On a serious note, your backing vocals are sweet and a strong layer of emotion. Thanks for the bring!

Aha! I distinctly remember writing and re-writing a comment for this one. I wonder what happened. First, I was typing it out, while listening on the Playlist, got distracted, then it skipped to the next video before I submitted the comment... so it disappeared. I went back to your video and re-wrote the comment and definitely entered it. Thennnnnn.. I went to the next video on the Playlist and the first comment somehow showed up there! So I deleted it from the video after yours. I wonder if it somehow got confused and deleted the comment from your video? Technology can be quite weird sometimes, eh?

I'll write the comment here, because I liked it that much.

Nice one, Del! I never had issues with any numbers before, but now 3 is on my bad side! I think I used to actually like 3. Can you imagine someone listening to this song in the rain at 3:33?.. might just break down in tears! Have you heard why Yoda said 5 is afraid of 7?

On a serious note, your backing vocals are sweet and a strong layer of emotion. Thanks for the bring!
Thanks, Chris - YT can be a strange beast - comments occasionally go astray quite randomly, so probably wasn’t down to anything you did at all. And thanks for your kind words about my song - much appreciated, matey! And is 5 afraid of 7 because it ate (eight) nine and ten? 😆

Thanks, Chris - YT can be a strange beast - comments occasionally go astray quite randomly, so probably wasn’t down to anything you did at all. And thanks for your kind words about my song - much appreciated, matey! And is 5 afraid of 7 because it ate (eight) nine and ten? 😆
(in Yoda voice, please) "because 6, 7 8"

Top Bottom