Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I’m not sure which would be the best thread in which to post this message, so I’ll repeat this in a few that are the most relevant.

As most of you will be aware, I often create my own backing tracks using keyboards (and sometimes digital wind instrument) on GarageBand to accompany my Seasons entries. It’s time consuming, but it’s good fun - and it’s like playing in a band but without all the disagreements and clashes of ego! 😁 And it (hopefully) makes my uke playing seem a little more impressive than it actually is! 😂

So over the years I’ve accumulated a lot of these backing tracks, which I occasionally use when playing at the Seasonistas regular Saturday Zoom Open Mic meetings, but which otherwise sit on my iPad doing nothing.

If anybody would like to use any of my past backing tracks to play/sing along to for their own future Seasons entries (I would remove my uke and vocal parts before sending), I’d be happy to let you have them as mp3 files. Or if you think you could use any of them at your own ‘real life’ uke group meetings that would be great too. Or even if you just wanted to have a go at playing along to them in the privacy of your own home, again I’d be very happy about that as well! There would be no charge for this (though you might be inclined to make a small donation to your favourite charity - entirely up to you).

Check out my YouTube channel for potential songs if you are interested (the most suitable songs to play along with are the ones which have drum parts and therefore a predictable tempo). If a song you like is in an unsuitable key for your singing/playing preferences I may also be able to transpose them before sending - let me know how many steps (semitones) you’d like them changed up or down by.

Send me a pm if you’re interested now or at any time in the future.

Happy Christmas! 🙂

Last edited:
One of my hobbies is looking around for new songs that I really like. And at the end of every year, like a high schooler making a mix tape, I put together a playlist of my favorites. So this is what it sounded like inside my head in 2023:

AJR – The Dumb Song
The Murlocs – Queen Pinky
Joseph – Nervous System
Genesis Owusu – Get Inspired
Ciel – Somebody
LMYK – Without Love
Tramhaus – Make It Happen
Pacifica – With or Without You
Sheer Mag – All Lined Up
Black Pumas – More Than a Love Song
Nanawoakari – Kien Romance
Grian Chatten – Fairlies
MisterWives – Nosebleeds
Obongjayar – Just Cool
The Salt Collective (feat. Matthew Caws and Mitch Easter) – Another Bus Coming
Melody’s Echo Chamber - Pêcheuse de Lune
Superorganism – Woofin’ and Meowin’
M83 – Amnesia
Quasi – Doomscrollers
Tautemeitas - Spodrē Manu Augumiņu

My 2023 Playlist

One of my hobbies is looking around for new songs that I really like. And at the end of every year, like a high schooler making a mix tape, I put together a playlist of my favorites. So this is what it sounded like inside my head in 2023:

AJR – The Dumb Song
The Murlocs – Queen Pinky
Joseph – Nervous System
Genesis Owusu – Get Inspired
Ciel – Somebody
LMYK – Without Love
Tramhaus – Make It Happen
Pacifica – With or Without You
Sheer Mag – All Lined Up
Black Pumas – More Than a Love Song
Nanawoakari – Kien Romance
Grian Chatten – Fairlies
MisterWives – Nosebleeds
Obongjayar – Just Cool
The Salt Collective (feat. Matthew Caws and Mitch Easter) – Another Bus Coming
Melody’s Echo Chamber - Pêcheuse de Lune
Superorganism – Woofin’ and Meowin’
M83 – Amnesia
Quasi – Doomscrollers
Tautemeitas - Spodrē Manu Augumiņu
interesting to hear what other folk rate music wise - 3, 4 and 20 are the only ones had me listening to the end - fairies almost got me in

2 misfits on a non-misfit thread. YEAH~
Got Jon to play this for me/with me.
A Michael Hurley song.
Jon recorded it right after 1 listen. I like how raw and emotional his voice is.
I added some harmonies.
And made the video with a painting i made.

a song i could do for Arvin's season but haven't yet. I did it for a previous season. Also for Jon's contest where he was giving away ukuleles.

if i said this is one of the most beautiful songs and performances, will you check it out? I love Michael Hurley!

I was just at the 34th UK filk convention ("Triple Time") this weekend, at which I did a set. There was a song ("The Meeting") I added to my set at the last moment, on a whim, that I wrote a few days ago as my first effort during FAWM as a bit of a silly throwaway to get off the mark. And it looks like it went down well because one of the things that happens is awards for things like...

IMG_0524.jpeg

I suppose I should probably record a video of it and post it here :). But anyway this pleases me a lot so I wanted to share now that I've got home! It's funny how it can sometimes be the things that take least effort that people like the most...

^ Congrats on the song winner! I'm sure it'll show up on the Seasons in due time.

I was just at the 34th UK filk convention ("Triple Time") this weekend, at which I did a set. There was a song ("The Meeting") I added to my set at the last moment, on a whim, that I wrote a few days ago as my first effort during FAWM as a bit of a silly throwaway to get off the mark. And it looks like it went down well because one of the things that happens is awards for things like...

View attachment 165720

I suppose I should probably record a video of it and post it here :). But anyway this pleases me a lot so I wanted to share now that I've got home! It's funny how it can sometimes be the things that take least effort that people like the most...

Looking after my daughter's dogs for a week. Russian Bolonkas... remind me of Dougal from the magic roundabout.

@Brouk asked me how I played Wisdom Of The Heart.

I honestly dunno how to show anyone how I do it in details.
I tried to slow down my playing to get a better idea of what I was doing with my right hand...and I got lost myself.
No, it does not mean what I was doing is complicated.
I am basically using a simplified or lazier version of what Richard Hefner is teaching here.

Brouk, if you watch Hefner's clawhammer tutorials, especially the one on Drop Thumb i linked above. And once that becomes natural to you, then you can play around and do anything you like. That is what I was doing in my Wisdom Of The Heart video, and whenever I play clawhammer.
My Drop Thumb technique is "lazier" because I don't hit everything of what Hefner shows above..

I tried to make a video of what I was doing.
The chords for Wisdom Of The Heart is C, F, G7.
My uke is tuned down half a step. F#, B, Eflat, G#

(I don't think I need to do a tutorial on Drop Thumb which I was doing, because Hefner's tutorial clearly illustrates it.)

The song

an attempt at showing you what I was doing

Top Bottom