Shipping
Included
Size
Concert

rhiggie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Some of you may have read my story on my NUD for my new tenor Scepter Wow that details my history with the Scepter dating back to 2019 during a KoAloha factory tour. If you read that review you also know that I now have 3 Scepters, 2 of which are Koa with similar voices. So I'm putting my 2010"ish" concert Scepter back out into the ukulele world for someone else to enjoy!

I've had this uke several years, but it is really great condition without any issues. If you've been looking for a KoAloha Scepter I bet like me you have found they are few and far between. And this uke has some really nice Koa in it, while the front is fairly straight grained Koa, the back is stunning, lots of curl with nice chatoyance (when you move the uke around, it's like you see peaks and valleys in the grains... almost 3D!). And when they built this one, someone had an eye for matching up the grains where the top meets the top and bottom of the sides. I really had to look at it a while because it is almost like a continuation of the koa around the top and bottom (look at pics). In addition to the Koa, it has a LR Baggs 5.0 factory installed pickup (tested and working) with just a sound hole volume control. So this is a great opportunity to get a very rare uke that is above average any that might pop up! A couple other things I love about this model, the large 45 degree bevel on all the top and bottom edges, and the tie bridge with KoAloha carved into it! The tuners are stock KoAloha friction tuners and they work great.

The Scepter story as Pop's tells it:
One night he was lying down and all of a sudden on the ceiling was this shape dancing around. He thought he was imagining it so he closed his eyes but it was still there...quickly he grabbed a notepad and sketched the design. Pops feels it was a gift from God..."I believe this is a design that came from above was meant to be enjoyed by all" And I'm pretty sure Pops personally built all the Scepter ukes!

There aren't many "comps" on Scepters and many of those you find were back when they were available from KoAloha. TUS has sold several over the years, one with a pickup sold new for $2000. The resale prices for these are all over the map. There's one currently on Reverb without a pickup for $1800. I also asked some friends at Hawaiian uke shops for their opinion on pricing and they said they have sold them used for as much as $2200. As you know, resale value is all tied to how available the uke is. KoAloha KTM-00's were cranked out at a steady pace and are very competitively priced used. Not so much with the Scepter.

That said, I'm in no hurry to sell this vintage Scepter so my asking price of $1950 shipped to CONUS is pretty firm. I will also consider trades of tenor ukes in the same price range.

It ships in a great Reunion Blues concert case that fits it nicely. I prefer Paypal Friends and Family payment but I'm also ok with G&S if buyer adds 3% for fees. I'm also happy to do a Facetime chat with potential buyers so you can meet both me and the Scepter. Please ask any questions and I'll provide honest answers. I want no surprises when the new owner opens the case on their end.

Thanks for looking! RickIMG_1504.jpgIMG_1506.jpgIMG_1508.jpgIMG_1509.jpgIMG_1510.jpgIMG_1517.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1520.jpgIMG_9140.jpgIMG_1534.jpgIMG_1536.jpgIMG_1537.jpgIMG_1514.jpg

The Sceptre was my original grail instrument from the first time I saw it in the window of a Waikiki hotel lobby ukulele store (the name of which is now escaping me.) I am lucky enough to have purchased a tenor version many years ago from the Okamis when the Sceptres were still commonly in production, and it's a gem. Genuinely unique voice and avant garde styling.

My wife would kick me out if I brought this one home, but someone with a spouse that is more appreciative of wooden masterpieces is going to love this Concert Sceptre. GLWS!

The Sceptre was my original grail instrument from the first time I saw it in the window of a Waikiki hotel lobby ukulele store (the name of which is now escaping me.) I am lucky enough to have purchased a tenor version many years ago from the Okamis when the Sceptres were still commonly in production, and it's a gem. Genuinely unique voice and avant garde styling.

My wife would kick me out if I brought this one home, but someone with a spouse that is more appreciative of wooden masterpieces is going to love this Concert Sceptre. GLWS!
Experimentjon, back when I started in ukulele and on this site I remember the blowout sale you had. I could not imagine anyone having such a collection of fabulous ukulele. I learned about KoAloha and K-brands from your descriptions and pics. You had the best ukes. I had hoped, someday, to have such wonderful instruments. I think the shop in the hotel was maybe Ukulele pua pua at the Sheraton Waikiki

Sold my tenor Sceptre and Pineapple Sunday 10 years ago. I wish I hadn’t. I would be interested in purchasing them again- if anyone is looking to sell, hit me up.

I'm not a sceptre buyer but I will say that concert sceptre is luthery at it's finest! That wood glows and the woodworking is beautiful. One can see how it has been lovingly cared for- a really beautiful instrument all way round! That's the uke that people go "woah!" when they see it!
GLWTS!

Experimentjon, back when I started in ukulele and on this site I remember the blowout sale you had. I could not imagine anyone having such a collection of fabulous ukulele. I learned about KoAloha and K-brands from your descriptions and pics. You had the best ukes. I had hoped, someday, to have such wonderful instruments. I think the shop in the hotel was maybe Ukulele pua pua at the Sheraton Waikiki
Not to go too off topic on Rick's thread, Ukulele PuaPua at Sheraton was the one! (Based on where I remember the Sheraton to be.)

Haha, I'm humbled by your post: I was certainly fortunate to have a good number of instruments back then, and many fewer--but dearer ones--today. My playing over the years somehow has stayed at the same elementary level...

Whoever gets this Sceptre will be lucky! (I still somewhat regret not taking a swing at the OP's Collings UT3 earlier...snooze you lose on these things!)

Was looking for one and bought concert several months ago, these are rare coming up, I would buy it if did not have one, If a TENOR comes up I will try & buy that also
Don
Good luck

I had the chance to get one of these in 2017. I didn't. Biggest regret of my life as a Ukulele player.
Legendary instrument :love:

I'm not a sceptre buyer but I will say that concert sceptre is luthery at it's finest! That wood glows and the woodworking is beautiful. One can see how it has been lovingly cared for- a really beautiful instrument all way round! That's the uke that people go "woah!" when they see it!
GLWTS!
You said it right, whenever this one comes out of the case people just stop and stare! I'm taking my new Wow Scepter to Uke Jam this week. Can't wait!

Top Bottom