Shimabukuro is working on a Harrison tribute album with Olivia Harrison and her son, Dhani Harrison

I mentioned that I didn't recall that Jake had recorded a Harrison song other than WMGGW. I had forgotten about his recording of Something, which is on the album Across the Universe. I didn't find the album version on YouTube, but here is a live version:

None of the "flashy" stuff like in WMGGW. Maybe Jake will do a version like this for the collaboration with the Harrisons?
Whatever it will turn out to be, I'll be keeping my eye out for details.

I mentioned that I didn't recall that Jake had recorded a Harrison song other than WMGGW. I had forgotten about his recording of Something, which is on the album Across the Universe. I didn't find the album version on YouTube, but here is a live version:

None of the "flashy" stuff like in WMGGW. Maybe Jake will do a version like this for the collaboration with the Harrisons?
Whatever it will turn out to be, I'll be keeping my eye out for details.

Same bassist here as in the recent Abbey Road session .

(EDIT: I finally found it. Here it is...)

WOW, thanks so much for tracking that down, Bill! Absolutely stunning! And yes, a perfect example of Jake not needing a torrent of notes to make his point.

I can see why Olivia and Dhani think that he and George would have gotten along. Jake is already farther along in the spirit of humility and balance than George was meditating his way toward (I say with no disrespect to George, who was the first to admit that he was on the way, not having arrived). I'm especially intrigued that in attempting to embody "doing less with more" that he chose to build a 3-string composition leaving out the C. I'm not exactly surprised though. Jake is firmly in the re-entrant camp because of how much he likes high strings on the outside, so of COURSE if he's going to skip one, it'd be the lowest.

I was thinking some more about the Jake and Jimi thing, and one thing I love about Jimi is that, his own occassional antics notwithstanding, he hated pyrotechnicians. He said that guitarists who couldn't lock down a rhythm section weren't guitarists at all, they were clowns. Soloing is fun and flashy, but playing rhythm is the WORK, and you gotta do the work, man. He was mostly referring to Clapton, who he flat out disrespected because of Eric's emphasis on flash.

(Eric didn't disagree, and, chastened, wrote Sunshine of Your Love to force himself to play rhythm. Jimi started covering it, I'm all but certain without even knowing that Eric credited Jimi as the inspiration for it! He also didn't much care for Beck, because he was too melodic. Not the criticism you might have expected, but Jimi's feeling was that it didn't have enough to do with the blues, which is fine for Jeff, but he got sick of the English press telling him that he should play more like Jeff.)

So I recently came across a clip of Jake playing rhythm for Taimane, both of whom were playing at a library in Hawaii to celebrate a program spearheaded largely by Jake, to get ukuleles in public libraries for anyone to check out. (My own library in Kaneohe has three sizes of Kala Waterman, but I don't know what others have.) She really tears the spit out of Bodysurfing, the Herb Ohta (Ohta-san) shredder, and a couple of things really jumped out at me.

They're both playing Kamaka instruments, Taimane on a custom 5-string with double low-G, and Jake on a more traditional (if still custom) 4-string re-entrant. I've always thought of what the classic Kamaka sound is, and, uhm, this ain't that. LOL It's pretty wild.

Also, it's gonna be hard to take your eyes off Taimane, but watch Jake watching her. He's locked in as a musician, ready to follow her anywhere she goes, but he's also a fan. That kind of enthusiasm can't be faked, and whatever else is true of Jake, he LOVES ukuleles, ukulele players, and ukulele music, hence this program to get instruments donated to libraries for people to try out for free.

But he really is a heck of rhythm player, which you don't often get to see at this length. And while this thread is about Jake, that Taimane is a BEAST.

Anyway, check it out.

WOW, thanks so much for tracking that down, Bill! Absolutely stunning! And yes, a perfect example of Jake not needing a torrent of notes to make his point.

I can see why Olivia and Dhani think that he and George would have gotten along. Jake is already farther along in the spirit of humility and balance than George was meditating his way toward (I say with no disrespect to George, who was the first to admit that he was on the way, not having arrived). I'm especially intrigued that in attempting to embody "doing less with more" that he chose to build a 3-string composition leaving out the C. I'm not exactly surprised though. Jake is firmly in the re-entrant camp because of how much he likes high strings on the outside, so of COURSE if he's going to skip one, it'd be the lowest.

I was thinking some more about the Jake and Jimi thing, and one thing I love about Jimi is that, his own occassional antics notwithstanding, he hated pyrotechnicians. He said that guitarists who couldn't lock down a rhythm section weren't guitarists at all, they were clowns. Soloing is fun and flashy, but playing rhythm is the WORK, and you gotta do the work, man. He was mostly referring to Clapton, who he flat out disrespected because of Eric's emphasis on flash.

(Eric didn't disagree, and, chastened, wrote Sunshine of Your Love to force himself to play rhythm. Jimi started covering it, I'm all but certain without even knowing that Eric credited Jimi as the inspiration for it! He also didn't much care for Beck, because he was too melodic. Not the criticism you might have expected, but Jimi's feeling was that it didn't have enough to do with the blues, which is fine for Jeff, but he got sick of the English press telling him that he should play more like Jeff.)

So I recently came across a clip of Jake playing rhythm for Taimane, both of whom were playing at a library in Hawaii to celebrate a program spearheaded largely by Jake, to get ukuleles in public libraries for anyone to check out. (My own library in Kaneohe has three sizes of Kala Waterman, but I don't know what others have.) She really tears the spit out of Bodysurfing, the Herb Ohta (Ohta-san) shredder, and a couple of things really jumped out at me.

They're both playing Kamaka instruments, Taimane on a custom 5-string with double low-G, and Jake on a more traditional (if still custom) 4-string re-entrant. I've always thought of what the classic Kamaka sound is, and, uhm, this ain't that. LOL It's pretty wild.

Also, it's gonna be hard to take your eyes off Taimane, but watch Jake watching her. He's locked in as a musician, ready to follow her anywhere she goes, but he's also a fan. That kind of enthusiasm can't be faked, and whatever else is true of Jake, he LOVES ukuleles, ukulele players, and ukulele music, hence this program to get instruments donated to libraries for people to try out for free.

But he really is a heck of rhythm player, which you don't often get to see at this length. And while this thread is about Jake, that Taimane is a BEAST.

Anyway, check it out.

Loved that Taimane/Jake duet, Tim! Lots of mutual respect going on there, in addition to the great playing. I like how they watch and listen to one another, "staying out of each other's way" and being alert to dynamics, rather than just "flooring it" the whole way through!

being alert to dynamics

Just watching this again with my wife too, and that's what jumped out on this viewing. Taimane gives Jake a nod to say, "Last time through. Let's bring it in for a landing." And instead of powering it through the roof, she brings it waaaay down. She's one of the hardest, most driving players out there, making that finessed great change even more powerful.

Gotta use all the tools. 😊

I think the upcoming Harrison tribute album should be called , George , By Jake !

Last edited:
Top Bottom