Shipping out of the U.S.

Pegasus Guitars

Reaction score
Anyone who ships out of the U.S., shipments with a value over $2500.00 , will be familiar with what I'm looking for. Shipments valued over that amount require a broker to do the paperwork. My broker has retired and I'm looking for a new one. Does not matter where they are. It is all done online. Any recommendations? Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
You don’t need a broker. You can do all the paperwork yourself through the us export website. I can’t remember what it’s called but I’m sure I have it saved. It’s a pain though…
I should have specified that yes you don't need a broker, but getting an AES # for shipping is a total pain and I no longer want to go through that. I'd rather pay a broker. Last time I did it, it was $45.00, but that broker is retired. It was well worth it to have someone else do it. After trying to go through the process myself for several days, a broker did it in a couple of hours. However, if you have a way that worked for you, I'd like to get that link. Thanks, Bob

Bob, getting the AES number is a pain. I’ve done it 4-5 times and every time I do it I can’t remember how I got there last time. The most complicated thing ever. Probably should jot down the steps next time. One of the reasons I cringe if I have to ship out of the country. When I have a chance I’ll see what I can dig out from my laptop. The reason I did it myself is because I couldn’t find a broker…

You could always lower the value.:)
The older I get, the more conservative I get. Lowering the value is the obvious work around, but you can't insure an item for more than the claimed value on the customs form. I did not used to care about insurance, but ocassionally I do now.

Top Bottom