Should the fan brace peak under the saddle area?

mandodiddle

Reaction score
Well, since I'm on a roll asking about fan braces, I have another question.
Should the height (peak) of the sound brace be located under the saddle?

Well, since I'm on a roll asking about fan braces, I have another question.
Should the height (peak) of the sound brace be located under the saddle?

You know, I'm not sure how much these sorts of tweeks make to the overall sound of an instrument (I suspect not much), but I do put a crest (peak) into my central fan brace over the bridge patch because, well, it looks cool and is easy to do and it makes me happy. Results may vary.

I have thought about this a lot lately. I too have done as sequoia describes, because it seems right. However, if you consider that the bridge is also a very rigid brace itself, perhaps this area actually needs less fan/patch material. In that light, it is a place where more mass can be removed without taking away stiffness.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole on bracing, sample some of the uke reviews at:

https://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-reviews.html

More than 50% include one interior shot of the bracing and you willl see the range of stuff out on the market. I was startled to find some expensive ukes with immaculate exteriors that appeared to have relatively crude, or at least not refined (smooth, sanded) top bracing. I assume they sound at least pretty good.

Top Bottom