Show off your cheap ukes!

IMG_1427.JPG
This is my current record holder... bought on eBay two years ago for a total of $18... tax shipping and all...

It was run into by a forklift... I sanded smooth and put it into my collection of loaners for my students.

A Luna concert tattoo model, FYI.

The latest addition to my uke family: a Flight ultra S -42 , a complete polycarbonate travel soprano. It has a nice underwater print and a loud voice. It plays really easy. I wanted to take a uke to the swimming pool with my clients, and I found this beauty for just €52,-! I will treat the metal parts with WD40 first, though I will not take it really underwater. The strings have to settle first of course ( I think it came straight out of the storage and has never been tuned) but when they stay in tune I will add a sound sample…

IMG_4412.jpeg

My 40$ ukulele in mint condition ;-)

2024-03-04 (38).png

The latest addition to my uke family: a Flight ultra S -42 , a complete polycarbonate travel soprano. It has a nice underwater print and a loud voice. It plays really easy. I wanted to take a uke to the swimming pool with my clients, and I found this beauty for just €52,-! I will treat the metal parts with WD40 first, though I will not take it really underwater. The strings have to settle first of course ( I think it came straight out of the storage and has never been tuned) but when they stay in tune I will add a sound sample…

View attachment 172194
I have one in black before they were branded Flight. Great little uke.

I’ve never seen this version outside of Flight’s website. Your picture makes it look much more appealing. I like my Ultra Travel / S-42s; it’s a very comfortable design and feels bulletproof.

A 1920s Harmony-made Supertone soprano, a Craigslist find. A pretty decent sounding instrument with lots of volume and a Martin-like bark. The cheap friction pegs were shot, so I replaced them with a set of Waverlys that I had on hand. As the photos show, there's lots of the sort of honest wear I love in vintage instruments. This one was, as they say, well loved. I may be putting it up for sale if anyone is interested.

IMG_4048.JPGIMG_4062.JPGIMG_4057.JPGIMG_4054.JPGView attachment 172235IMG_4045 2.JPG

Last edited:
Got this Kala new in factory box for $35 on eBay. He had 12. I hope they weren’t stolen!
Nice catch. I have one like that (Kala KA-P) that I bought new some years back and it‘s been played a lot. At one time I used it as the (high) standard against which to judge my other cheap ukes against, a lot of stuff didn’t match up to it and got either sold or gifted away. With a good set-up, decent strings and a bone saddle the basic Kalas are surprisingly good players.

Last edited:
May not be the prettiest of my instruments but since changing to the Worth browns it's most definitely my most played! Kala KA-15S.
I had an acquaintance who did the same string change with the same model of Uke, it sounded surprisingly good 👍.

Cheapies, I love them, with a bit of care and thought they can bring a lot of joy at prices that nearly everyone can afford - spread the joy of Uke.

View attachment 172194
Well, did I say “ I will not take it underwater?” I actually did yesterday. To the swimming pool, that is. This was the last swimming session with the people I’m working with, before the summer holiday and a six week reconstructon time off for the swimming pool. So we had a little party, and I recorded this song for my grandsons. I posted this already on the island of seasonista misfits, but it is a cheap uke and it sounds great, even in the swimming pool!

$40 islander off Mercari which plays beautifully and lives at my parents for visits as well as when my mom tries to play. Already got my dad a different uke

Attachments

• IMG_6035.jpeg
    IMG_6035.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 6
I posted a while back with pics of a couple of my cheapo sopranos, but I'd like to give a shout to my cheapest baritone.

It's a Makala. I believe these list for +/- $90. This was given to me by my father shortly before he departed this veil for Valhalla.

I realize it's nothing special, but it's probably my most-played of the four playable ukuleles I have.

I'm wheelchair-bound at the moment, and largely house-bound. This humble Makala is the one I keep near where I spend a lot of my time and I play it every day, often accompanied by thoughts of my old man:
20240622_173138.jpg

Top Bottom