Show Off Your Hawaiian Made Ukes

Love this thread! My Kamaka HF-3:

MIsgaXk.jpg

That’s the 3 thickest flames I ever seen on a uke. Just kidding, very artistic shot

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
My 'Island' style soprano is not Hawaiian made, but it is a very faithful reproduction, and could be considered a 'K' brand. Ken Timms made this, using the original techniques. It is a faithful copy of a Hawaiian uke from about one hundred years ago. No Koa trees were endangered in this production, but it did contribute to the depletion of Mahogany supplies.

John Colter

It's a little beauty:

Very nice. I've never seen something like that made by Ken. I have a regular soprano. He does beautiful work.

Great idea for a thread Kyle. I have had a few Hawaiian made ukes come and go through my home, these two are wonderful. A Kamaka 100th anniversary baritone and a Koolau CS Spruce-myrtle tenor.

20190507_202715.jpg20190507_202602.jpg20190507_202319.jpg20190507_202147.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, that Koolau is amazing! From what I've heard personally, Koolaus are the best sounding K brand out there.

I made this thread and forgot to post mine, so here you go -

Kanilea K-1 Tenor
Koaloha KCM-00

VsGoXGU.jpg

YtvQCUt.jpg

Ok, time to bring back this 5 year old thread.

Hawaiian Ukuleles!!

IMG_7461.jpeg
Let’s start with Pops! Harmony and AO.

IMG_7464.jpeg
Kanile’a ISL sand inlay. (I just gave this to my son. He plays so much better than I do!)

IMG_7465.jpeg
KoAloha 25th anniversary Silver.

IMG_7468.jpeg
Kamaka HF-3

IMG_7466.jpeg
Kamaka HF-2

IMG_7467.jpeg

And then there’s the infamous Koa Kalane. Mele O Hawai’i. What does that mean exactly? Is this a Hawaiian ukulele? The jury seems to still be out.
Sold in K-Mart and reputed to be made by a mysterious Hawaiian luthier in small numbers. Also said to be made in China and sold as a souvenir.
Who knows. It is actually pretty nice and it is solid something. Koa?
I’ll include it here and let others decide.

Even though I recently got a Hawaiian made uke, I still find myself going on theukulelesite and clicking straight to the "Hawaiian Made Ukuleles" section. I just can't get enough of looking at them. The beauty is really unmatched in my opinion when it comes to Hawaiian crafted ukuleles. I'd love to see what everyone else has on here!
Kanile’a K-1 Tenor 2009

Attachments

• IMG_7144.jpeg
    IMG_7144.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 15
Ok, time to bring back this 5 year old thread.

Hawaiian Ukuleles!!

View attachment 172129
Let’s start with Pops! Harmony and AO.

View attachment 172130
Kanile’a ISL sand inlay. (I just gave this to my son. He plays so much better than I do!)

View attachment 172131
KoAloha 25th anniversary Silver.

View attachment 172132
Kamaka HF-3

View attachment 172134
Kamaka HF-2

View attachment 172135

And then there’s the infamous Koa Kalane. Mele O Hawai’i. What does that mean exactly? Is this a Hawaiian ukulele? The jury seems to still be out.
Sold in K-Mart and reputed to be made by a mysterious Hawaiian luthier in small numbers. Also said to be made in China and sold as a souvenir.
Who knows. It is actually pretty nice and it is solid something. Koa?
I’ll include it here and let others decide.
I don't think there is any doubt that Koa Kalane is made in a factory in China and despite the name is not real koa. I recall that someone asked the importer where the name Koa came from and they replied that is name of the company's owner.

Top Bottom