Show us your ukes!

Actually I saw the Moonbird online and ordered it to try it in the shop, but it proved to be sold out, they said. Then I tried to get a Koa Bird, with the same result. And then I found the Hawaiian Koa, which I liked very much, the more because it has a pickup. I also saw the Iz online, but I was only curious if it would be worth the money. When we went one day to the only American Style guitar shop in The Netherlands, I had the chance to try it. I loved the sound, and it plays awfully easy. So then I had two great tenors. To my surprise I saw a Moonbird online, totally unexpected, and I decided to buy that as well. I had it stringed with a low G, because I wanted to have that lower register for accompanying my singing. And now I take my Fish with me when going on holiday, I play classical music on the Koa, modern classic on the Iz, and low G arrangments on the Moon Bird. At least, I try and practice at least one hour every day to improve.

1000007783.jpgI've been doing more complaining than this ukulele deserves because it's really great. I just need to adjust my expectations to the instrument I'm playing I think. It is pretty loud. Granted, it has soprano strings on it and is a concert uke. I think I can definitely get what I want out of it. Anyways, here's my Eastman EU3C. Easily one of the prettiest sub-$500 all wood ukes I've seen. Really it's the reason I got it. Wood binding just looks so nice.

View attachment 172155I've been doing more complaining than this ukulele deserves because it's really great. I just need to adjust my expectations to the instrument I'm playing I think. It is pretty loud. Granted, it has soprano strings on it and is a concert uke. I think I can definitely get what I want out of it. Anyways, here's my Eastman EU3C. Easily one of the prettiest sub-$500 all wood ukes I've seen. Really it's the reason I got it. Wood binding just looks so nice.
It's very pretty!!

New soprano - slightly over soprano scale length. Shallow body. Wondering whether this might have been built in Spain just because of who was using it (now sadly no longer with us). I've taken down the frets with a file and lowered the saddle and the bridge (to allow the strings to pull a bit better). It sounds beautiful enough to keep I think... and just fits a soprano case with a push. Few expectations at 10 quid so pretty pleased, and the fact that it had a set of decent Worth Browns on it... essentially a free ukulele.

Attachments

• 2024-04-29 17.29.16.jpg
    2024-04-29 17.29.16.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 33
My first and only (so far).. Concert Kala, maple and spruce. I really love the look and feel of it. And that's my bud Little Eddie. He likes listening 🎶

Attachments

• 20240508_071357.jpg
    20240508_071357.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240508_071646.jpg
    20240508_071646.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240508_071600.jpg
    20240508_071600.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240508_072459.jpg
    20240508_072459.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240508_084302.jpg
    20240508_084302.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 10
One day, I will sit down with my beloved hoard of luthier-made sopranos and tell them this is how it began…

Bought a $47 Enya uke from Amazon (I know. I play other instruments. I know setup matters. But three friends got them too and online reviews were surprisingly decent and what the hell). It’s still fun to play and I will cheerfully hand Tiny to anyone, including my 16yo with special needs.

IMG_9851.jpeg

Tried playing different sizes at my local music store, but quality was so bad! So I ordered a concert, regular-depth cheap Enya with good reviews (25D, laminated mahogany) from Amazon again. For science. This is Blue. She’s still my fun science experiment. Currently wearing UBB strings (baritone tuning).

IMG_9852.jpeg

Kept trying sizes, including borrowing a friend’s baritone, and adding beads to poor shy Cleve…

IMG_9432.jpeg

Fell down the hole of early music and fingerstyle and Campanella and also realized my small hands and my ears love the soprano size best. Wanted a uke with some resonance, got lost in the forums here for a while, seeking a good mid-tier soprano, and discovered you can buy a luthier-made soprano for the cost of a (not very good) student violin (or in my case, the cost of selling my backup bow).

So I ended up with Canto, who has ringing highs and the most gorgeous cuddly lows and I love him to absolute bits. He’s made by Rob Collins from spruce and Australian Blackwood.

IMG_9854.jpeg

One day, I will sit down with my beloved hoard of luthier-made sopranos and tell them this is how it began…

Bought a $47 Enya uke from Amazon (I know. I play other instruments. I know setup matters. But three friends got them too and online reviews were surprisingly decent and what the hell). It’s still fun to play and I will cheerfully hand Tiny to anyone, including my 16yo with special needs.

View attachment 173013

Tried playing different sizes at my local music store, but quality was so bad! So I ordered a concert, regular-depth cheap Enya with good reviews (25D, laminated mahogany) from Amazon again. For science. This is Blue. She’s still my fun science experiment. Currently wearing UBB strings (baritone tuning).

View attachment 173014

Kept trying sizes, including borrowing a friend’s baritone, and adding beads to poor shy Cleve…

View attachment 173015

Fell down the hole of early music and fingerstyle and Campanella and also realized my small hands and my ears love the soprano size best. Wanted a uke with some resonance, got lost in the forums here for a while, seeking a good mid-tier soprano, and discovered you can buy a luthier-made soprano for the cost of a (not very good) student violin (or in my case, the cost of selling my backup bow).

So I ended up with Canto, who has ringing highs and the most gorgeous cuddly lows and I love him to absolute bits. He’s made by Rob Collins from spruce and Australian Blackwood.

View attachment 173016
A lovely (and obviously loved) family of ukes, modwitch. Glad to see you’re no better than the rest of us when it comes to resisting UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome). :)

Glad to see you’re no better than the rest of us when it comes to resisting UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome). :)
I definitely have this. New ukes or food and medicine? It's a careful balance. (I'm mostly joking.)

lol. It’s my first time playing an instrument that many folks own more than one of. This seems dangerous…
I can relate. My wife plays piano, so she absolutely cannot understand why I own multiple ukuleles.

It can be dangerous - you would be surprised how easy it becomes to justify the “need” for a new instrument. “I could use this one when I’m out of the house" / “I have a concert with a low G, but not a tenor…” Etcetera.

I can relate. My wife plays piano, so she absolutely cannot understand why I own multiple ukuleles.

It can be dangerous - you would be surprised how easy it becomes to justify the “need” for a new instrument. “I could use this one when I’m out of the house" / “I have a concert with a low G, but not a tenor…” Etcetera.
I bought two ukes yesterday from marketplace. That might be a new member record ::sheepish eyes::

Hopefully this does not happen to the pianos in your house!

ETA: wait, just read your signature. What else are you collecting?

I bought two ukes yesterday from marketplace. That might be a new member record ::sheepish eyes::

Hopefully this does not happen to the pianos in your house!

ETA: wait, just read your signature. What else are you collecting?
I have three guitars and three basses, two electric and one acoustic electric. I got THE electric bass that I wanted for years a while back have never felt the need to buy another. I haven’t picked up my guitar since I started playing the ukulele.

I have three guitars and three basses, two electric and one acoustic electric. I got THE electric bass that I wanted for years a while back have never felt the need to buy another. I haven’t picked up my guitar since I started playing the ukulele.
I’m struggling with how to be a multi-instrumentalist. I pet my violin most days, but I suspect my very short lived mandolin career may have ended. We shall see!

Top Bottom