Side sound port

Thanks for the inside view. Wow - Spanish heel and Kasha bracing. I bet it’s going to sound great. And gluing all the peones! That a lot of work. Nice job!

I like to use contrasting veneers to compliment binding/purfling.
This one is Walnut and Holly inside Cherry
The first layer of veneer goes on first, cross grain and and full width of the sides. The kerfed linings go over this veneer and the subsequent layers go between the linings.
This is to hopefully reduce the chance of a stress riser fracture along the edge of the lining.
IMG_7013.jpeg

Last edited:
I like to use contrasting veneers to compliment binding/purfling.
This one is Walnut and Holly inside Cherry
The first layer of veneer goes on first, cross grain and and full width of the sides. The kerfed linings go over this veneer and the subsequent layers go between the linings.
This is to hopefully reduce the chance of a stress riser fracture along the edge of the lining.
View attachment 171257
That’s a good point about the lining being a potential stress riser. And it looks good too the way you do it.

Have done another one this morning so thought I’d take and post a few photos.
Cherry again, with just a single veneer layer of a darker cherry, going for a more subtle effect.
Put a piece of leftover cherry in the side bender to get a good match of the curves then once trimmed to accommodate the the other lining glued in with cauls.
Haven’t decided on soundport(s?) design on this one yet, will post more pics once I’ve cut it/them.

IMG_7043.jpeg

IMG_7044.jpeg

IMG_7045.jpeg
IMG_7046.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom