Side thickness.

Island Jim

Reaction score
I'm thinning my wood for my next batch of ukuleles and wondering about the sides. I will be using Sapele and Honduras mahogany. I was using sides at about 75 thousands to facilitate bending but I have had a few flat spots and cupping on my bent sides. Is there a standard range for tenor sides? I'm thinking a little thicker ; maybe 85 to 90 thousands might be better as long as I can bend them. I have a good feeling about top and back thickness, but I have not figured out the sides yet!

I would suggest somewhere between 1.6mm and 2mm depending on size of uke type of wood etc. No need for thicker than that. Cupping can suggest you are using too much moisture when bending. I only add water if it is really needed.

I'm thinning my wood for my next batch of ukuleles and wondering about the sides. I will be using Sapele and Honduras mahogany. I was using sides at about 75 thousands to facilitate bending but I have had a few flat spots and cupping on my bent sides. Is there a standard range for tenor sides? I'm thinking a little thicker ; maybe 85 to 90 thousands might be better as long as I can bend them. I have a good feeling about top and back thickness, but I have not figured out the sides yet!
Thickness is dependent on the type of wood, the desired shape,as well as the figure. Sometimes bend distortions are due to the figure, but they can also be due to technique and the bending apparatus. I mostly work with koa and my figured sides are about 1.7-1.8mm thick. Basically I stop running them through the sander at just under 2mm and the orbital sanding takes them to 1.7-1.8mm.-Bob

I take my sides down to about 0.065 - 0.070 which is 1.65 - 1.78 mm. I also finish them off with an orbital sander. Have had no problems. I use a quick soak in water/ammonia and use a heat gun over a form.

Thank you all for the replies. I have been using Honduras and Sapele for my latest instruments. I use a LMI side bender that I modified for ukes. It uses steel rods to hold the side forms apart, I think I will add a few more rods to support my sides in more places. I bend the sides between spring steel plates. I will try less water and more support , keeping them around 0.075 for now! Mele Kalikimaka

Thank you all for the replies. I have been using Honduras and Sapele for my latest instruments. I use a LMI side bender that I modified for ukes. It uses steel rods to hold the side forms apart, I think I will add a few more rods to support my sides in more places. I bend the sides between spring steel plates. I will try less water and more support , keeping them around 0.075 for now! Mele Kalikimaka
With an actual side bender and mahogany or sapele I wouldn't imagine you will need any water. If you are then maybe you aren't letting it all heat up enough before bending.

Corrugation (can) happens regardless of wood thickness in my experience.

Once the body is boxed up:
1- Cut the binding channel before sanding the sides flat.
2- Sand sides flat.
3- Cut binding channel again.
I laminate my sides (.060" + 0.70") so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

I'm happy to report I have had good results with side bending with no soaking, a light spritz and more heat. My figured Sapele sides came out flat and looking good, thanks again!

Corrugation (can) happens regardless of wood thickness in my experience.

Once the body is boxed up:
1- Cut the binding channel before sanding the sides flat.
2- Sand sides flat.
3- Cut binding channel again.
I laminate my sides (.060" + 0.70") so I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Beau, Would you do a video on how you cut-thin-laminate the two pieces for your lamination process? I've never tried lamination, but am very interested.

Beau, Would you do a video on how you cut-thin-laminate the two pieces for your lamination process? I've never tried lamination, but am very interested.
I buy typical instrument sides and sand the outer layer to .070". I buy the 2nd (middle) and 3rd (inner) layers pre sanded to .065".
LMI sell laminating sides (guitar length) which i use on rosewood guitars.

I've done this video on how i laminate the cut pieces but now i use 3 layers- outer is about .070", and the 2nd and 3rd layers are .060"-.065".

Sometimes the very inner layer will be a .020 veneer instead of a .060".

Top Bottom