Singing Lessons?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Four uke players recently did a couple of performances with four accordion players and a harp. I mentioned to one of the women that she had a very nice singing voice. She was glad to hear that because she's been taking lessons for about a year. I am not a singer - never have been - and I wouldn't consider taking lessons. I do know several people who have taken lessons, and they're glad that they did. They went from Good to Very Good.

Have any of you taken singing lessons, and if so, how was the experience?

Four uke players, four accordion players and a harp walked into a bar……

When I was a kid I auditioned for Up With People national cast. They listened to me sing for about 10 seconds and then said, Ok, you‘ll be doing choreography.
I wish I could sing, but I sound like a frog. I think I’ll just save the voice lesson money for more ukuleles.

The only singing lesson I had was when I was "required/forced/coerced" to join a choir in high school years ago. I was a bass singer. Our music teacher kept telling us to sing from our diaphragm. I envy people who can actually sing. But give me a uke, and I can make it sing any song you like.. lol.

I contemplate starting singing lessons on Youtube. Many years ago I was in a choir and I was second bass, that tells all about my singing prowess.

I have taken singing lessons and found them musically and creatively rewarding. I improved considerably with instruction.

Read The Four Voices of Man by Jerome Hines. If you find the content inspirational, I recommend finding a good vocal coach.

For the past 35 years, I ran a performing arts studio where we offered vocal lessons. Here is what i can tell you that will help to maximize your time and investment. First is to know your goal, which is to sound better when singing along with Ukulele, not to be a Broadway star, recording artist, or opera singer. You probably don't need years and years of lessons, but more vocal coaching than voice lessons, there is a difference. There are techniques that you can learn such as voice placement in the mouth, breathing, vibrato control, and pitch which you can get in a few fun lessons working with songs that you sing and not scales. Also, by choosing vocal coaching as opposed to vocal lessons, it is not years and years- or does not have to be.

When I was younger, I started directing musical theatre but I was not a singer. I knew, however, that it would be required of me to sing in front of my cast members (who were singers). I did not want to embarrass myself so I took a series of 8 vocal coaching lessons to learn basic techniques for singing. These have served me well and kept me in the game so that I could sing along with the rest and not feel self-conscious. it helps you to learn your voice strengths and weaknesses, have some control over what you do, and how to interpret a song or sing into a mic. No need to do years and years of vocal training.

Even though lessons through Youtube are available, as are ukulele lessons, it is so much more productive to get feedback on what you are doing and then specific suggestions from the coach on how to correct a problem that you may not even recognize to be a problem.

Last edited:
Over the years, I’ve sung with barbershop choruses and quartets, church choirs, and community choral groups. I realized early on that the weekly rehearsals were actually mini voice lessons (or voice coaching, as Ed mentioned). And yes, my voice responded in a positive way to this exposure. So go for it, Jerry. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how much your singing will improve from even a handful of coaching sessions.

Yes I have taken vocal/singing lessons and it helped me a lot. I do open mic performances at our uke jam and wanted to improve. I took singing lessons and after about 4-6 weeks did an open mic performance. Afterwards the leader said he couldn't believe how much my voice had improved and asked if I had been taking lessons. I confirmed that I did and he said it showed.

Anyone can improve, your vocal cords are muscles and respond like another muscular training. There are online lessons for those that don't have access to in person teaching.

I was very shy in my youth and only started singing in my 50s when I joined a choir. Now I can do solo performances with my uke without amplification support. And I wish I had taken vocal lessons in my youth.

Yes I have taken vocal/singing lessons and it helped me a lot. I do open mic performances at our uke jam and wanted to improve. I took singing lessons and after about 4-6 weeks did an open mic performance. Afterwards the leader said he couldn't believe how much my voice had improved and asked if I had been taking lessons. I confirmed that I did and he said it showed.

Anyone can improve, your vocal cords are muscles and respond like another muscular training. There are online lessons for those that don't have access to in person teaching.

Thanks. That's amazing!

For the past 35 years, I ran a performing arts studio where we offered vocal lessons. Here is what i can tell you that will help to maximize your time and investment. First is to know your goal, which is to sound better when singing along with Ukulele, not to be a Broadway star, recording artist, or opera singer. You probably don't need years and years of lessons, but more vocal coaching than voice lessons, there is a difference. There are techniques that you can learn such as voice placement in the mouth, breathing, vibrato control, and pitch which you can get in a few fun lessons working with songs that you sing and not scales. Also, by choosing vocal coaching as opposed to vocal lessons, it is not years and years- or does not have to be.

When I was younger, I started directing musical theatre but I was not a singer. I knew, however, that it would be required of me to sing in front of my cast members (who were singers). I did not want to embarrass myself so I took a series of 8 vocal coaching lessons to learn basic techniques for singing. These have served me well and kept me in the game so that I could sing along with the rest and not feel self-conscious. it helps you to learn your voice strengths and weaknesses, have some control over what you do, and how to interpret a song or sing into a mic. No need to do years and years of vocal training.

Even though lessons through Youtube are available, as are ukulele lessons, it is so much more productive to get feedback on what you are doing and then specific suggestions from the coach on how to correct a problem that you may not even recognize to be a problem.

Thanks. That's good to know.

As a small child, I attended a thing they called “Singing (we pronounced it “sangin”) School” at my parents’ Baptist church. The staff traveled around to country churches and apparently taught “shape notes”. All I recall was a whole bunch of “do, re, and mi” and not much in the area of actual learning or improvement. When I later saw “The Sound Of Music”, I mentally linked Sister Maria to the sangin’ school because it had been my only exposure to the little instructive tune.

Does this make me a redneck? I’ll answer my own question: Well, yasser, it show do. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom