Slotted Headstocks

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So I have a Ana’ole Flag custom concert that is one of my absolute favorite instruments. It has a standard headstock. I have found that I also really love slotted headstocks. Is it even possible for it to be converted into a slotted headstock? Not sure if that’s even doable, if people take up tasks like that, or if it would risk harming the integrity of the instrument.

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 29
So I have a Ana’ole Flag custom concert that is one of my absolute favorite instruments. It has a standard headstock. I have found that I also really love slotted headstocks. Is it even possible for it to be converted into a slotted headstock? Not sure if that’s even doable, if people take up tasks like that, or if it would risk harming the integrity of the instrument.
An absolute favorite instrument?
Clearly leave well enough alone.
What is it that you believe you are gaining with a slotted head stock anyway?

It's probably doable, but the work involved is substantial:
  1. Adding wood to the back of the headstock, as it will need to be thicker.
  2. Routing out and shaping the slots.
  3. Drilling for tuner pegs.
  4. Possibly modifying the tuner shafts if the current width doesn't match up with standard slot head tuners.
  5. Colour matching the new wood.
  6. Finishing the sides and back of the headstock and inside the slots - but probably, to achieve a good lock, it would be better to refinish the whole neck.
  7. Probably some adjustment to the nut.
This is a lot of work, and might cost about as much as your uke would sell for.

You could possibly get away without thickening the headstock by using stealth tuners, although I’ve read mixed reviews about them, never tried them. Otherwise, I agree with everything ProfChris wrote above.
Obviously your instrument and your choice but, especially with it being a “favourite” instrument, I’d say this idea has Major Future Regret written all over it.
And an expensive one at that.
A great DIY experiment for a cheap beater instrument on a rainy day with nothing better to do?
Maybe.
Use the money to buy a nice slot head uke. There’s always room for just one more.

I'm glad most of you are saying to leave it alone. It's probably a better choice anyway! I think the only reason I even considered it in my mind getting it altered was purely aesthetic, which is not always the best.

As others have said, but a new uke. Take a look at Flight - and their reviews. A slotted headstock is totally different. I might be tempted to try a conversion on a cheap, over-the-counter headstock, just to see if it's possible. I have 103 items on my To Do List, so that will have to wait.

Top Bottom