Song Help Request Song chords.....

Alb10n

Reaction score
Hi again ;)

Is there anyone who could write down the chords (transpose) for me that are played in this version of the song?
Ukulele Dream Girl by the Wayward Sisters.

I downloaded the original sheet music by Reg Low (1926) & chords by Ukester Brown, but find this version more pleasing.

Thanx in advance :)

Chordify is great. I use it constantly.

Dear @Alb10n,

This is what I came up with based on The Wayward Sisters arrangement you provided.
I sketched in the skeleton of the text for the first verse and chorus to help place the vocal in the arrangement.
Some of the embellishments (like sliding from F7 to E7 and back) can be dropped.
If you have any questions, just ask!
-Yukio

IMG_1797.JPG

I sketched in the skeleton of the text for the first verse and chorus to help place the vocal in the arrangement.

View attachment 152116

Hi Yukio

This is a brilliant sound map for chords and lyrics 🎶🎶🎓💃🏽

An excellent way to show the song pattern and placement that is as good as music but easier to follow.

Is it a technique you created, or a method with a name and style?

Best regards.

Hey @casualmusic, thank you for the like.

No, I don't know what this kind of chart is called, but it is a common convention to use this kind of chart in jazz bands. A lot of the players know the "head" (the main melodic line of a song) by heart, so what they need, at most, is a chart such as this (without the lyrics) to play the song through.

Normally, I would write up a chord chart like this minus the lyrics, but I didn't know if Albion would need to see at least some text in there for orientation and phrasing purposes. If I tried to cram in all the lyrics in there, it would quickly become a confusing mess, so I just highlight words landing on important beats in the phrase. It is a balancing act, ya know?

I started writing charts like this when I was in my first swing band. We had quite a lot of songs in the repertoire and I kept charts like this as loose sheets in a folder. The saxophone player, my good friend Adrian, insisted that chords be oriented to bar lines and that the structural conventions (like repeats, second endings, codas, etc.) of standard musical notation be followed. I also started placing the chord symbols within the bar so that you could see on which beat the chord should be played within the bar. This is quite helpful when you have a several (or many!) chord changes in every bar of music.

Adrian would refuse to play from the kind of charts that are just chord symbols over (or interspersed with) lyrical text. That was just not enough solid information for a horn player (and no, they don't care what the lyrics are!) They need a chart similar to this to navigate through the song in a sensible manner and not get lost.

There is an excellent app for tablets and phones called iReal Pro. It creates and organises charts such as this one. I have an old iPad with that app and pretty much nothing else on it but charts for swing tunes. It is super handy. When I got that, I didn't have to write them out with pencil and paper anymore. Check it out!

Here is what one of my old hand written charts looked like. It was done in sharpie so that it can be read in bad lighting.

Untitled.png

This reminds me of fakebook notations. I sometimes use Fakebook Pro to look up songs as it includes 1000s of tunes. Is real pro an app to create the charts?

Thanks, @merlin666. That must be the proper answer to the question @casualmusic posed. "Fakebook Notation" sounds like the right kind of term to use when referring to charts such as these.

Yeah, a lead sheet has the melody line for the head written out.
We are calling this a chord chart in "fakebook notation."

The iReal Pro app lets you create and share charts. You can have free access to charts others have created, mostly jazz charts for the kind of tunes you find in the Real Books.

Try this:

chordify.net is usually the first place I go to see what chords are in a song.
Chordify gets most of it, but not all. I'm quite new to playing and can't get the little "dips" etc. Cheers!

Are you able to use the chart I worked out for you, @Alb10n ? I wrote it out in Bb, the same key as the Wayward Sisters recording, but I don't know if the chords in this key are familiar to you or not.

Top Bottom