Soprano bridge/saddle placement

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Looking at various sopranos, I often think that the bridges on Koaloha sops look too low on the body, below the sweet spot, compared to Martin (see pic). Maybe it's just an optical illusion, since the Koaloha bridge is larger, with the tie bar design needing to extend further south. Or possibly different body shapes, length, roundness, etc. I suppose the actual position of the saddle is most important, and when looking at that, they appear more similar. But it still (to me) looks like the Koaloha saddle is positioned closer to the bottom edge of the uke. Anyone have both, and can measure from the center of the saddle to the bottom edge of the uke? For reference, on my vintage Martin soprano, it is exactly 2.5" from the middle of the saddle to the bottom edge of the uke.20240515_081313.jpg

Last edited:
I only have a KoAloha Pineapple, but I compared it to Martin and Pop's Wow sopranos. Here's the numbers

1715783309199.png

Forgot my KoAloha tenor neck soprano. Body length 9 1/4 Saddle to bottom 2 1/8

Last edited:
2.25” saddle to bottom on my Rob Collins soprano.

Forgot my KoAloha tenor neck soprano. Body length 9 1/4 Saddle to bottom 2 1/8
That saddle to bottom measurement on the KoAloha tenor neck soprano should be disregarded. The tenor neck places the bridge even lower on the top.

I would think the single uni-brace of the KoAloha would change the "sweet spot."

The bridge on koalohas are just wider to allow for the ties because it is a tie bar bridge. The martin has a slotted bridge which means it can be smaller because it only needs to accommodate a knot. The extra space needed for the tie area is 1/4-1/2 inch or so. making the bridge probably close to 1.5x the width. That 1/4-1/2 inch of extra bridge towards the tail end of an already small uke is the cause of this.

The bridge on koalohas are just wider to allow for the ties because it is a tie bar bridge. The martin has a slotted bridge which means it can be smaller because it only needs to accommodate a knot. The extra space needed for the tie area is 1/4-1/2 inch or so. making the bridge probably close to 1.5x the width. That 1/4-1/2 inch of extra bridge towards the tail end of an already small uke is the cause of this.
Right. Kala also uses (too-) large tiebar bridges on its sopranos, and the proportions of the lower bout look wrong. Kala would improve the ratio of bridge to top if they switched to slotted bridges.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 6
Right. Kala also uses (too-) large tiebar bridges on its sopranos, and the proportions of the lower bout look wrong. Kala would improve the ratio of bridge to top if they switched to slotted bridges.
Agreed. If they cut off the tie bar section, and went with slotted or string-thru, it would look so much better.

Top Bottom