Soprano ukes

I agree that if you like sopranos, you can't do better for a classic instrument than a nice old Martin. There is a reason that they are usually considered the standard. The ones Ukecaster mentioned above are nice deals. The one at Reverb is especially nice.

Budget matters. Since you have arthritis, setup will be crucial, too. If you’re in the US, buy from Mim’s Ukes. She does an excellent setup on everything she sells, and if you let her know your issues, she can adjust accordingly.

I agree that if you like sopranos, you can't do better for a classic instrument than a nice old Martin. There is a reason that they are usually considered the standard. The ones Ukecaster mentioned above are nice deals. The one at Reverb is especially nice.
Personally, I like the sound and feel of vintage Kamaka sopranos better than vintage Martins. Maybe that is because of my playing style or the kind of music that I like. I just find the Kamakas to sound sweeter and less barky than the Martins. Same applies to modern Kamakas vs modern Martin sopranos (at least for the US-made Martins).

My favorite soprano is my Millar long neck soprano. It has a spruce top and projects like crazy. It is by far the loudest soprano I've played and the tone quality is great too (in my opinion). Millar makes great ukes for the price.

Budget matters. Since you have arthritis, setup will be crucial, too. If you’re in the US, buy from Mim’s Ukes. She does an excellent setup on everything she sells, and if you let her know your issues, she can adjust accordingly.

Neck shape, nut width, and string spacing might matter, too. My own cranky fingers think so, anyway.

I agree wholeheartedly about Mim setup. I bought more than one instrument from her. In all cases the setup is good but this last one for the soprano was extra special and perfect.

My favorite soprano is my Millar long neck soprano. It has a spruce top and projects like crazy. It is by far the loudest soprano I've played and the tone quality is great too (in my opinion). Millar makes great ukes for the price.
Millars are great, but a "long neck soprano" is really a concert ukulele and will typically have a bigger sound because of the longer scale length. If the OP is having trouble stretching up the fretboard on bigger ukuleles, a long neck soprano is probably not going to help them.

Top Bottom