SOTU 544 -- Tell the Tale!

The Foolish Frog - Pete Seeger

In the early sixties, my fellow folkie friend, Jim Cox, and I, went to Delta Collegiate in Hamilton to see Pete Seeger. Pete told this story and I later bought an LP with the story/song on it and have shared it with many groups of kids in the intervening years.

Song about events from Celtic mythology. Heavily inspired by the novel The Hunter's Moon. Long story short: a young woman trespasses in fairy territory and falls in love with the elfin king, but the many-eyed serpent Crom Cruac is mad and demands a blood sacrifice.

Lyrics:

Half my soul wanders up the mountain
The diamond shape of his back recedes into the mist
He was not mine, but I tasted him none the less
I took him from her, from a world of red and gold light

Vicious creatures with many eyes and many lives
They’ve taken him from me to a world of ice and snow

I asked O Moyle to devour me
She said what are you talking about, my child, you are only thirty years and one
She would not give me sanctuary beneath the waves
She said, trespass here all you want, I will toss you back upon the shore

I lured him to a place of witchcraft
High upon the hill, forbidden penetration rites
This is hallowed ground, we should not be here
If we are found here, all will be no more

Reckless creatures with two eyes and one life
I have taken him from me - I should not have taken him at all

Last edited:
Forgive me Mr Dury. A story about gypsies/travellers and their run ins with the old Bill/rozzers/police.

I took out all the seats and away I went
It's a right old banger and the chassis's bent
It's got a great big peace sign across the back
And most of the windows have been painted black

The windshield's cracked, it's a bugger to drive
It starts making smoke over forty-five
It's a psychedelic nightmare with a million leaks
It's home-sweet-home to some sweet-arse freaks

Slow down itinerant child, the road is full of danger
Slow down itinerant child, there's no more "Welcome, stranger"

Soon I was rumbling through the morning fog
With my long haired children and my one eyed dog
With the trucks and the buses and the trailer-vans
My long throw horns playing Steely Dan

We straggled out for miles along the beggar's hill
When the word came down that we'd lost Old Bill
You can bet your boots I'm coming when the times are hard
That's why they keep my dossier at Scotland Yard

Slow down itinerant child, you're still accelerating
Slow down itinerant child, the boys in blue are waiting
Itinerant child don't do what your doing
Itinerant child you'd better slow down

We drove into happy valley seeking peace and love
With a lone helicopter hanging up above
We didn't realise until we hit the field
There were four hundred rozzers holding riot shields

They terrorized our babies and they broke our heads
It's a stone f***ng miracle there's no-one dead
They turned my ramshackle home into a burning wreck
My one-eyed dog got a broken neck

GREAT wordcraft. I'm jealous.

I've been thinking about a few from my sort of time, but I'm unsure if they perfectly fit the theme. Viva la Vida by Coldplay is apparently a retelling of the final speech of Louis XVI before he was executed, which talks a bit about how he became king and then fell again. Hey There, Delilah by the Plain White T's is supposedly about how the singer wants to reconnect with athlete Delilah DiCrescenzo in the future. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues is about an evolving relationship, and how it goes a bit sour. Ive seen all of those songs in some lists of similar styles of songs on google, but I'm unsure if they perfectly fit the theme, as it seems to have gone a little out of fashion in the more recent times. If any of those fit, I'd happily try to record them

I've been thinking about a few from my sort of time, but I'm unsure if they perfectly fit the theme. Viva la Vida by Coldplay is apparently a retelling of the final speech of Louis XVI before he was executed, which talks a bit about how he became king and then fell again. Hey There, Delilah by the Plain White T's is supposedly about how the singer wants to reconnect with athlete Delilah DiCrescenzo in the future. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues is about an evolving relationship, and how it goes a bit sour. Ive seen all of those songs in some lists of similar styles of songs on google, but I'm unsure if they perfectly fit the theme, as it seems to have gone a little out of fashion in the more recent times. If any of those fit, I'd happily try to record them
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to hear any or all of these. In general, nobody really worries about perfectly fitting the theme. It's mostly about having some fun with a uke.

I've been doing the 50 songs in 90 days challenge (a sort of sister challenge to FAWM) and yesterday I decided it'd be fun to try to write a drinking. Today I realised it's a story song too, so I thought I should post it! I have never been like the protagonist in this story. At least, not that I can remember. Anyway it can't be me because I'd eat crisps rather than nuts, and I don't like kebabs. Officer. Your honour.

This features some mucking about with overdubs, as well as a cameo from a pint of Vital Spark from Loch Fyne Ales. Highly recommended, just don't miss your bus.

(Second attempt to post, because last time there was a tiny problem with the volume in the video that probably nobody but me would have noticed... but it was bugging me...)

Paul McCartney apparently wrote this one while thinking about his journey with the Beatles, and when they were on the verge of breaking up. Arranged from the sheet music.

I'd have to echo what Edwin said, wholeheartedly. Personally, I adore Viva la Vida and I'd love to hear your rendition of it!

Ugh- totally gutted. This song popped into my head (apologies if it is already here) and I had to play it. Now I had known that Tom T. Hall (whose nickname was “The Storyteller”) had passed away in 2021, and I also knew this song was autobiographical, so off to research and the first thing I find is that Mr. Hall (85), did not die of natural causes as I had assumed. In any event, a hero of mine who wrote a song about a hero of his…here’s the story
I Remember The Year That Clayton Delaney Died- Tom T. Hall

Anyone of these is a great fit IMO…also, Body Of An American by the Pogues- totally works as do many of their tunes.

Mccarthy Moore and the Banshee. An Irish song about defeat and moving from the realms of the living to those of the dead. The dwindling of a once proud star of honour into the shadows of evening.

This is an original song based on a short story by Australian author Robert Drewe. I highly recommend his short stories. Some of his collections include The Bay of Contented Men, The Bodysurfers and The Rip. This is taken from the short story Sealevel in The Rip.
I hope I've done enough lyrically to explain what is going on. As an aside this would have fitted Del's lessons learned week. But it didn't exist then:)
Lyrics are on Utube.

Jake Thackray is a bit of a national treasure, at least here in Yorkshire. A lot of his songs were stories, but most of them are pretty well impossible to play. Here's one I can manage. Warning - may contain adult themes.

Hello, Ila and thanks for hosting! What a clever idea for the week! I bring you a watery song from 1923 ....

Whew! We've had some AMAZING submissions since last I checked in. Let's see....the songs include:
  • A bad boy turned pussycat
  • An imaginary friend who commits suicide
  • An exploding frog
  • An ornery, mythical serpent
  • A guy with a hollow leg
  • A long and winding road
  • A drunk guitar hero
  • A permanent subway rider
  • A transition from life to death
  • A neglected child
  • A Bonnie & Clyde couple
  • A woman with a landmark fetish, and
  • A tale of rollicking with a mermaid.
And it's only Tuesday! FANTASTIC! I LOVE IT. I'm excited to see what awaits me when I get home this evening!

Top Bottom