SOTU 544 -- Tell the Tale!

Thanks for the notes about my suggestions, I'll do my best to record some, though its currently far too hot to do anything in the UK

Okay, as promised... or maybe it was a threat? This story has everything: 8 minutes and 48 seconds worth of love, greed, jealousy, gambling, robbery, murder, interior decorating. Everything!

Most of the parts are loops because I couldn't be bothered to do all 15 verses and intro and outro, so you get the same mistakes in every verse.

Last edited:

Decided to cover Bob Seger's Turn The Page which tells the tale of a musician's life on the road. I've taken inspiration from both Bob Seger, as well as Metallica's version of the song.

I might record the rest, doing my favorite verse / chorus / verse 2 / double chorus and out + the vocal melody line. We'll see how much time I have.

Last edited:
Well Ila, this one almost has a couple of murders.
SIGNIFYIN' MONKEY - Oscar Brown Jr., Doug Hammond & Al Massey

I learned this one from my favourite male jazz singer, the late Oscar Brown Jr.

Decided to cover Bob Seger's Turn The Page which tells the tale of a musician's life on the road. I've taken inspiration from both Bob Seger, as well as Metallica's version of the song.

I might record the rest, doing my favorite verse / chorus / verse 2 / double chorus and out + the vocal melody line. We'll see how much time I have.
I hit the like button after the first 7 notes:)

Dammit I had to put this song here. It is the Ballad Of Love And Hate by the Avett Brothers. First take, completely lost it. Second take, only kinda lost it at the end…
I love this song. I really wanted to introduce folks to it- wanna see me get all Sicilian (everything on our sleeve- it is how we do) and lose it? You got about six minutes wait time. Sorry about the fan sounds- it is stupid hot here and the people have spoken! Shirt on is what they prefer!

Didn't you just hate it when Michael Jackson grabbed his crotch and squeezed so hard that he hit those excruciatingly high notes "eeeh-hee Shamona" and when you did the same three things happened... it didn't work, it looked stupid and most importantly it felt stupid.

Didn't you cringe at Crimbo when the angelic choirboy once again flew in the air
with a snowman... and every other week on TOTP, boy bands would shoehorn themselves
into tight jeans to sing a BeeGees song like Barry Gibb.

Oh the blessed relief to hear Mr Cohen sing at subsonic levels, his voice rumbling
like a steam roller over gravel... hitting those impossibly low notes that would
frustrate anyone who tried to emulate him. To hear that wino whine from Tom Waits
who before every performace gargles with razor blades and small sharp stones.

Don't think high. Go low.

A story of a boy who compared himself to others less fortunate than himself.

John (One Man and his uke) did an exceptional cover of "Ruby Don't take your love to town". Made me think of this Johnny Cash one. Billy Joe would have been better following Ruby's example...love not guns!

And the hits just keep coming! Since yesterday morning, we've had stories about:
  • A loonie with secret powers
  • A convict fantasizing about freedom
  • A woman exacting revenge
  • A brave miner saving others
  • Romancers hiding criminality
  • An instrumental about a musician's life
  • A jiving monkey making mischief
  • The dichotomy of love and hate
  • Comparative misery, and
  • A moron with a gun.
And it's only Wednesday! I LOVE THIS.

I tried to leave some comments, but YouTube isn't cooperating with me and I'm getting some errors. :/

SOTU 544 - Tell The Tale! - Rattlesnake Mountain
(I can't seem to find the composer. It may be an old folk song.)
I learned this song from a Patrick Sky LP in the early sixties. You'll notice that I have trouble finishing a line without having to grab a breath, so when I sang it with a group of kids, their job would be to sing "To My Roo-dye-Roo-Dye-Roo" while I was catching my breath.
A song with a moral that I try to live my life by.

I hit the like button after the first 7 notes:)

Thank you! :) Fun fact is that I actually wanted to use my glass slide for that part. It works well enough for the first half, but not so much for the little descending run right before the chords kick in. (at the very least, my fingers aren't used to it)

SOTU 544 - Tell The Tale! - Rattlesnake Mountain​

(I can't seem to find the composer. It may be an old folk song.)

I learned this song from a Patrick Sky LP in the early sixties. You'll notice that I have trouble finishing a line without having to grab a breath, so when I sang it with a group of kids, their job would be to sing "To My Roo-dye-Roo-Dye-Roo" while I was catching my breath.

A song with a moral that I try to live my life by.

that sounds like a foreign language... took me some time to figure out what was going on

Hello again, Ila! I wasn't intending to come back quite so soon, but it suddenly occurred to me that this - my favourite Kinks' song - fits the bill this week as it is a sad tale of "drunkenness and cruelty" and, even worse, the ruthless pursuit of the Inland Revenue! (Ironically, for the first time after several days of record-breaking temperatures, when I recorded it this afternoon the sun was NOT shining!)

Top Bottom