SOTU 552 -- Am, F, G (or G7), and C ONLY

Ah the I - V - vii- IV progression. so many songs… here’s something to get the juices flowing…

and the songs they touch on in just one video

Journey -- "Don't Stop Believing" James Blunt -- "You're Beautiful" Black Eyed Peas -- "Where Is the Love" Alphaville -- "Forever Young" Jason Mraz -- "I'm Yours" Train -- "Hey Soul Sister" The Calling -- "Wherever You Will Go" Elton John -- "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" (from The Lion King) Akon -- "Don't Matter" John Denver -- "Take Me Home, Country Roads" Lady Gaga -- "Paparazzi" U2 -- "With Or Without You" The Last Goodnight -- "Pictures of You" Maroon Five -- "She Will Be Loved" The Beatles -- "Let It Be" Bob Marley -- "No Woman No Cry" Marcy Playground -- "Sex and Candy" Men At Work -- "Land Down Under" Theme from America's Funniest Home Videos Jack Johnson -- "Taylor" Spice Girls -- "Two Become One" A Ha -- "Take On Me" Green Day -- "When I Come Around" Eagle Eye Cherry -- "Save Tonight" Toto -- "Africa" Beyonce -- "If I Were A Boy" Kelly Clarkson -- "Behind These Hazel Eyes" Jason DeRulo -- "In My Head" The Smashing Pumpkins -- "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" Joan Osborne -- "One Of Us" Avril Lavigne -- "Complicated" The Offspring -- "Self Esteem" The Offspring -- "You're Gonna Go Far Kid" Akon -- "Beautiful" Timberland featuring OneRepublic -- "Apologize" Eminem featuring Rihanna -- "Love the Way You Lie" Bon Jovi -- "It's My Life" Lady Gaga -- "Pokerface" Aqua -- "Barbie Girl" Red Hot Chili Peppers -- "Otherside" The Gregory Brothers -- "Double Rainbow" MGMT -- "Kids" Andrea Bocelli -- "Time To Say Goodbye" Robert Burns -- "Auld Lang Syne" Five for fighting -- "Superman" The Axis of Awesome -- "Birdplane" Missy Higgins -- "Scar"

there‘s probably a million more…

Will The Circle Be Unbroken - P.D.

An old folksong popularised by The Carter Family.

[C] Will the circle be unbroken by and [F] by, Lord, by and [C] by
There's a better home a-wai[Am]ting in the [C] sky, Lord, [G7] in the [C] sky

You could certainly play this without the Am, but since it's allowed, I might as well use it. Great topic for a last minute assignment Ila. I'll know, as a teacher, you have to be ready to improvise at any time.

Last edited:

SOTU 552 – Am, F, G (or G7), and C ONLY

Greetings, fellow Seasonistas! I’ve been on my ukulele journey for just shy of a year, and I’ve learned so much in that time. My skills and knowledge have grown significantly. But along the way I came to realize that sometimes songs don’t have to be complex to be fantastic. That’s why this week the focus is on songs that ONLY use the chords A minor, F, G (or G7), and C. There are many, many songs that fit the bill. No other chords may be used. Fewer than all four is permissible, but no other chords are allowed. (Feel free to transpose any songs that don’t use those chords, so that the song satisfies the requirements. For example, if the song is originally written for C#m, A, E, and B7, you can easily transpose it to Am, F, C, and G7, respectively.)

So here are the rest of the week’s parameters:
  • The video must be newly recorded for this Season. Rob may submit earlier recordings.
  • The video must say that it is for SOTU 552 - Am, F, G (or G7), and C ONLY.
  • The ukulele must be prominent. Other instruments are welcome but the uke must be front and center. And visible.
  • Original songs are always welcome. If you do choose to submit an original song, please post the lyrics so we can all read them.
  • Videos must be posted to this thread. (And remember, Season 551 is still in play!)
  • Please do not submit the same song that someone else already submitted earlier in the week.
  • The Season ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, Sept. 18.
  • There is no limit to the number of videos you can submit.
  • Please view and comment on each video on YouTube. Everyone wants to be heard and appreciated.
The playlist link is: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOE-LSahSNE7M8wk7xk4yhsiEn3WqtgMe

The prize will be something small and uke-themed that can be shipped internationally with ease. Please invite other players to join in; the more the merrier.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN.

Hi Ila
Good on you for stepping up!
I was really motivated to post something today, and when I saw your criteria, I thought "wow I have so many options" however when I checked stuff I was comfortable with and hadn't posted before, there were only two, then when recording "Travellin Man" I realized it had two instances of D7! I thought oh well, I'll post it anyway.

SOTU 552 – Am, F, G (or G7), and C ONLY

Greetings, fellow Seasonistas! I’ve been on my ukulele journey for just shy of a year, and I’ve learned so much in that time. My skills and knowledge have grown significantly. But along the way I came to realize that sometimes songs don’t have to be complex to be fantastic. That’s why this week the focus is on songs that ONLY use the chords A minor, F, G (or G7), and C. There are many, many songs that fit the bill. No other chords may be used. Fewer than all four is permissible, but no other chords are allowed. (Feel free to transpose any songs that don’t use those chords, so that the song satisfies the requirements. For example, if the song is originally written for C#m, A, E, and B7, you can easily transpose it to Am, F, C, and G7, respectively.)

So here are the rest of the week’s parameters:
  • The video must be newly recorded for this Season. Rob may submit earlier recordings.
  • The video must say that it is for SOTU 552 - Am, F, G (or G7), and C ONLY.
  • The ukulele must be prominent. Other instruments are welcome but the uke must be front and center. And visible.
  • Original songs are always welcome. If you do choose to submit an original song, please post the lyrics so we can all read them.
  • Videos must be posted to this thread. (And remember, Season 551 is still in play!)
  • Please do not submit the same song that someone else already submitted earlier in the week.
  • The Season ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, Sept. 18.
  • There is no limit to the number of videos you can submit.
  • Please view and comment on each video on YouTube. Everyone wants to be heard and appreciated.
The playlist link is: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOE-LSahSNE7M8wk7xk4yhsiEn3WqtgMe

The prize will be something small and uke-themed that can be shipped internationally with ease. Please invite other players to join in; the more the merrier.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN.

Thank you, yes. It is the chord shapes I'm after. That's the ticket!
Just to clarify Ila, If I use my re-discovered baritone uke, does this mean I am not allowed to play Am, F, G (or G7) and C, but I have to play Em, C, D (or D7) and G?
I certainly don't want to break the rules.

Last edited:
Guys I'm really sorry. Obviously still only dipping in and out here and had it in my head I wasn't posting till October.

Just as well... i offered to host because I had a great theme in mind but now I can't remember it. Thanks to Ila for stepping in!
No problem - I just glad you are alright!!!!

Just to clarify Ila, If I use my re-discovered baritone uke, does this mean I am not allowed to play Am, F, G (or G7) and C, but I have to play Em, C, D (or D7) and G?
I certainly don't want to break the rules.
Hi, Jim. I don't know much about the tuning of baritone ukes, so I'm assuming that the chord shapes of Am, F, G and C on soprano would translate to Em, C, D and G on baritone? If so, then be free to use the chord shapes. Basically, I'm shooting for the use of the chord shapes, regardless of the pitch they produce, if that makes sense. Does that help? But that doesn't mean you can't use the Am, F, G and C on the baritone. I'm trying to be lenient and permissive with the rules, so everyone is content and happy.

Last edited:
The Whistling Gypsy Rover - P.D.

This is the first song I ever performed in front of an audience was in the basement of Binkley United Church. It was a Boy Scout variety show and right at the beginning of my awareness of the Great Folk Scare of the sixties. Three of us Boy Scouts had formed a folk trio, patterned after The Kingston Trio and we called ourselves The Rovers Three after this song. At this 1960 performance, we knew three chords each (We hadn't learned the relative minor) and that got us through three songs. This was the first one.

rovers three.jpg

"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", by Pink Floyd, for concert ukulele with singing, with overdubs of electric bass and secondary vocals. Delay processing was applied to vocals to create effect at end. C and F variations are the only chords used in the song. Thanks for hosting at the last minute, Ila!

If anyone's struggling, you can pretty much grab any song from the 1950's/early 60's where this progression seemed almost compulsory

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. Season 551's winner has been posted, and I thought you'd all like to pop over and extend your congratulations. 🤩

Cheers for hosting again Ila. I've been having Intermittent problems with my mic and/or speakers (???) so have no idea how this one plays back on your ears. I can barely hear It myself played back so fingers crossed it sounds okayish . Cheers

Last edited:
From Andrew's list No woma no cry/no oven no pie.

Eee-Eee-Eee-Eee-Eee-by gum!

No Oven no pie, No Oven no Pie!
No Oven No Pie ( no no oven) No Oven No Pie!

Said I remember, when I used to sit
In mi Nannan's kitchen in Beighton,
Meat and taters in a pie dish sit,
waitin for pastry to be put on.
all of a sudden, CATASTROPHE!
t'oven's got no pilot light (Shite!)
"what we gonna do?" mi nannan would moan,
and I said, Get British Gas, on the phone ( and tell em)

No Oven no pie, No Oven no Pie!
No Oven No Pie ( no no oven) No Oven No Pie!

British Gas man come in Half an hour
with his lickle bag of tricks (yeah)
says to mi nannan "dont you worry flower!,"
"your pilot light I shall fix!"
all of a sudden, a sound like 'POP'
He comes up smiling bright (right!)
says "get that pie in't oven, and hurry up"
"we dont want to be stood here all night" (yeah, cos)

When I was a kid, a cousin brought a uke to our house in the late fifties, but forgot it when she went home. I decided to try to learn a few chords and I got a songbook from the library. The first song I learned was Frog Went A-Courtin' which my dad had sung to us, but I sang The Brothers Four version that was a bit different. They tried to make it "hipper". We only saw this cousin once a year, so I got to learn a few more songs and when she got it back, I started saving for a guitar.
Please ignore the part at the end.

And here's a bit of the version I first learned to sing at Scout camp:

This last video isn't for the playlist Ila, so I left off the SOTU 552. . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom