SOTU 598 ... "THERE ARE FAIRIES AT THE BOTTOM OF OUR GARDEN!"

🤣

I've been trying to work on my puns / dad jokes recently. They crack me up!

We really shouldn't talk about wrapped up corpses tho... mummy's the word. 🤫
Yes ... thank you, Chris! "Mummy" is definitely the word! (I love the photos, by the way ... that must have been quite an event.)

How about something by Elves Presley?
I blame you all for this.

I started to learn this earlier this week, as part of the joke, but scratched it coz I was finding "There There" a bit more fun... but also more difficult. Then we went to the Renn Faire and my wife just so happened to purchase some elf ears. Now, here I am doing a couple things I don't usually do on my own free will (shaving and fixing my hair) and a couple things I've never ever done (wearing elf ears and recording myself singing an Elvis tune). Maybe it's all trickery from my wife, who may well in fact be...

Also.. the ears mad me bust out the Vulcan Salute. I'm going full nerd here. I can never run for office.

What, no Wendy yesterday?! Is she getting less obsessive? Did you miss me? 😜

Well, I've been having a very full busy weekend doing many fun local things and haven't been home much. I did a set at a brand new open mic yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, and picked three songs that qualify for 598 and the middle one started with "The" and fits 599 too ... but I sang that one in the wrong key, and the other two I already posted recently.

So this afternoon I did that middle song again in the correct key (conveniently labeled "Wendy key" on page 2 of my song chart - not sure why I missed that yesterday!) on the verandah, and am much happier with this one. (Page 1 is the version I used to do with Neil, who sang the main part, while I sang the part of the friendly monster.)

Sheb Wooley's "The Purple People Eater".

And then - because no theme about other worlds can be complete without some Star Wars! - I followed with this other offering that also meets both themes, Weird Al's "The Saga Begins", a parody of "American Pie" that tells the entire plot of Episode 1, "The Phantom Menace". (Spoiler alert!!!)

Verandah 2 Jam day 20.

Also, it's my bird day. Happy Bird Day to me!

And for completeness, and only if you're really keen, here's my open mic set from yesterday.

What, no Wendy yesterday?! Is she getting less obsessive? Did you miss me? 😜

Well, I've been having a very full busy weekend doing many fun local things and haven't been home much. I did a set at a brand new open mic yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, and picked three songs that qualify for 598 and the middle one started with "The" and fits 599 too ... but I sang that one in the wrong key, and the other two I already posted recently.

So this afternoon I did that middle song again in the correct key (conveniently labeled "Wendy key" on page 2 of my song chart - not sure why I missed that yesterday!) on the verandah, and am much happier with this one. (Page 1 is the version I used to do with Neil, who sang the main part, while I sang the part of the friendly monster.)

Sheb Wooley's "The Purple People Eater".

And then - because no theme about other worlds can be complete without some Star Wars! - I followed with this other offering that also meets both themes, Weird Al's "The Saga Begins", a parody of "American Pie" that tells the entire plot of Episode 1, "The Phantom Menace". (Spoiler alert!!!)

Verandah 2 Jam day 20.

Also, it's my bird day. Happy Bird Day to me!

And for completeness, and only if you're really keen, here's my open mic set from yesterday.

Yes, indeed ... Happy "Bird Day" to you, Wendy! x

Pretty late Sunday night in Hawaii, though not midnight just yet!

In July, I watched the 1998 anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion, described by our pals at wikipedia as a series about

a teenage boy who is recruited by his father [...] to the shadowy organization Nerv to pilot a giant bio-machine mecha named Evangelion into combat against beings known as Angels.

The massive, terrifying Evas and Angels - along with PenPen the protagonists' penguin roommate - definitely count among all things weird.

Plus the theme song is catchy!

And with Sabine reliably bringing up the rear, as ever, it is my sad duty to declare Season 598 officially closed. Thank you All for your wonderful "weirdness" ... we are up to 84 videos. (And my apologies to Chris for missing him till the last moment!) A Wrap will be posted in the next few days. Meanwhile, will you PLEASE get out of the garden; otherwise there will be dire consequences ....

7eBl.gif

Last edited:
AND HELLO AGAIN, DEAREST PEOPLE!!! We had a total of 84 videos from 35 Seasonistas and I am pleased to report that you are all obviously completely bonkers and deserve to be kept at the bottom of the garden ... preferably in a cage! I am so appreciative of all the weird and wonderful stuff you brought - including a couple of lovely collabs - and would like to single out for special mention, one or two people who, I felt, went out of their way to embrace the "silliness" of the week ... Edwin, for your original of life seen from the point of view of the monster, cowering under the bed; Joo, for your wonderfully imaginative originals and for actually going to the trouble of getting a book of suitably scary jokes from the library with which to regale us; Ylle, for your completely weird and wonderful witchy mutterings, achieved without the assistance of the South Finland Witch Choir, who were, apparently on holiday at the time, and Christopher (F) for your totally scary and voice-challenging rendition of "Wuthering Heights" ... I hope that you haven't caused any permanent damage to your vocal chords. If you would like to know the Winner, then you will need to watch the attached video ... would that person please p.m. me with their address, so that I can send them a dainty and fairy-like prize. THANK YOU ALL!!!

P.S. PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL THE WINNER ... I WANT THEM TO FIND OUT FOR THEMSELVES!

Last edited:
Only on the internet
Ballad of the scorpion Queen an the Centipede King by Ukulelezo.

Cohabiting with scorpions and centipedes and SNAKES ... NO! Fairies are far safer and they don't sting ... or at least, I don't think they do! Ye gods ... thank you, Rob! (On second thoughts, cohabiting with those homicidal red globular things (whose name must not be mentioned) might definitely prove challenging ... and messy!)

Top Bottom