sotu 607 - wishin' and hopin' / if wishes were willows

Here's another song I heard at the local uke day Saturday afternoon, that also meets both themes - Chuck Berry's "You Never Can Tell". "It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well" + there's a verse about playing rock, rhythm, and jazz on the newlywed couple's hi-fi phono.

I wanted to do my own version as an excuse to also bring you video from the uke day, so you can see the fun we had. It features event organizer and local uke celeb Vic Kena, his daughter Georgie on bass, and a plethora of Brisbane-area ukers and dancers enjoying a beautiful day in Vic's sister's backyard, which happens to be right in my local neighborhood.

Sunday I came back for a small 2-hour jam onstage with Vic and a handful of other talented musicians, and got to play this song with him, and lots of other fun songs including some of mine, but alas didn't get any video.

So for this week, I learned myself som new tech.

I tried recording on my webcam and trimming the video with Windows build in tool, because I figured it would fit the low-tech part of the theme better than using my usual camera and DAW. It also made it easier to finish recording and editing during babys nap time :LOL: .

Hope to revisit this song some time with the full monty of enhancements and stuff, including my usual camera and microphones, but for now - here is the webcam version:

This was the first song that sprang to mind, I was surprised not to see anyone else do it.

no rules just a host's request
Hilarious - of course it was a rule - which is why you didn’t include Joko on the playlist, Brian. And why those of us that like to work in a certain way felt alienated enough to stay away from your season this week. 🙄

Hilarious - of course it was a rule - which is why you didn’t include Joko on the playlist, Brian. And why those of us that like to work in a certain way felt alienated enough to stay away from your season this week. 🙄
i think that's incredibly harsh and utterly unfair, Del.

Brian wrote this:
also - lets have a relatively tech free week - so just you and your uke type instrument straight up - no multitracking or audio or video enhancements - that is what i'm hoping for

i love you man and i'm sorry you felt excluded brother but you excluded yourself. Brian said that's what he was 'hoping for' and that is the prerogative of every host, it was not a hard and fast rule. you could have simply recorded a song to the camera and participated and if you felt concerned about a diminished audio quality standard in what you strive for re the rest of your subscribers, made it unlisted and still been part of the season.

i feel like you are calling out this man and our fellow seasonista w/ some agenda that is your own and i don't understand why.

i feel like you are calling out this man and our fellow seasonista w/ some agenda that is your own and i don't understand why.
No agenda Jon - just don’t think excluding a bunch of people who put so much time, effort and love into what they do, however they do it, is in the true spirit of what this place should be about. I’m not ‘bitching’ about anything - just saying what I (and some others) think. It’s called honesty.

No agenda Jon - just don’t think excluding a bunch of people who put so much time, effort and love into what they do, however they do it, is in the true spirit of what this place should be about. I’m not ‘bitching’ about anything - just saying what I (and some others) think. It’s called honesty.
i just can't agree w/ you on any level about this mate.
the host of the season sets the parameters of the season they host. there have been innumerable seasons w/ more stringent conditions than what Brian asked for here. why you chose to publicly make an issue of this in the way you have, at the start first, then this snide backhander at the end is a matter for you.
i'm honest to a fault but sometimes keeping your fingers bound is a better option. xo

It is not the first nor the last time some part of a theme doesnt rub everybody the right way. And something similar has been applied to some themes way back. I think that was " it had to be done in one take". And for instance, I feel very limited when there is a dogma that you cannot repeat a song that has already been posted. I usually spend most of the week finding, transposing and practicing a song before recording. I will not put in that work if there is a risk that someone will post it just before I am finally ready to record, so in those weeks I am limited to originals or very obscure songs.
Then again, the theme could be covering an artist you absolutely hate, or whatever. There can be many ways a theme is not your cup of tea. I think we should try not to let it ruin the good mood.
By the way, the thoughts behind my post earlier this week about how much tech can go into a video that appear low tech was kind of... Just fake it then. Of course you would need to make a one track recording, but nobody is going to check if you used high tech equipment or applied equalization.

Apologies to anybody that's been upset or offended by anything I posted here - "post in haste, repent at leisure" and all that.

which is why you didn’t include Joko on the playlist, Brian.
Well, lookie there, he didn't include me on the playlist. Neither song.

Huh.

That seems to be a rather petty gesture at best, a spiteful insult at worst.

I remember way back in the first hundred seasons we had a member here who recorded her entries with sooo much reverb that if you scroll down to those pages of our ongoing community's history, you can still faintly hear some lingering echo. Objectively, it was kind of annoying to listen to, but we tolerated her and said nice things. Although no one would be so rude as to say so, it would be easy to note that she made her recordings that way not because she thought it was a really cool enhancement, but instead to try to mask an uncertainty and timidness in her singing that was still there behind every note despite the effects. Would knowing that make you, as a Seasonista, more sympathetic or more annoyed? I guess if you're the type who bans any 'electrickery' from the playlist, you're with the latter.

Even though I'm not as good of a musician as Brian is, in fact, I'd assess myself in the lower half of the group if were to rate our member's musicianship, but the reason I often use effects is not to mask my shortcomings. Obviously with some of the shlock I throw up here, I'm not overwhelmingly concerned over what I sound like. No, I'm the other kind. I think it sounds better. I'd like to hear a coherent explanation of why trying to sound better isn't a good idea, especially from a guy playing a 7-string tenor guitar on a ukulele board. What are all these extra strings for? Enhancements. They make it sound better. Why does Bob King play his 8-string baritone? because it sounds great! I don't get the fundamental objection in the first place. Like the pot calling the kettle black.

As for video content, I thought the Seasons were about music. It's not a video contest. I can't remember a single host ever trying to control the video tracks. Making videos CAN be as simple as pointing a camera and shooting, or it can take hours and hours of work. Is the objection that some people CAN'T do the latter and that is somehow unfair? Sure hope not.

Oh, my gosh ... controversy! I have to admit that, if anyone wants my opinion - which they obviously don't - I feel it is the Host's prerogative to decide how he/she wants the week to run. I remember that once Brian asked that we should record outside, which I actually found quite fun but a bit tricky from the point of view of where to position my song sheet (propped up on a dustbin, if I remember rightly.) I think that Brian obviously favours a "no frills" production and I can't see anything wrong with that ... it's really all part of the challenge, like finding a suitable song for the week's theme. I feel that production values have got a lot more sophisticated since I joined - way back in 2016 - and there are those here who do not consider their contribution complete without various enhancements. Surely, for one week, though, it should be possible to comply with our Host's wishes ... and as Jon so rightly points out, there is always the option of making your effort "unlisted" if you are not satisfied that you have performed to your own exacting standards. (In all fairness, I am speaking here as a complete technological simpleton, who, only a mere couple of weeks ago, finally worked out how to add "reverb!")

I DO think, though, that the point that Mikkel raises about stipulations that no song should be repeated can make life a bit more difficult. When one has spent the major part of a week learning a song, only to find that it can't be uploaded because someone else got there first ... well, that must be downright frustrating!

I wonder whether perhaps there is a tendency to take the whole Seasons thing - and ourselves - a bit too seriously! So far as I am concerned, it is just a very rewarding and somewhat challenging hobby and any satisfaction that I get out of it is simply from the fact that I have been able to produce something for the week. There is no "Great Art" involved ... it's just FUN!!!

OK, sorry ... I shall now crawl back into my hole!

Last edited:
I’m sorry there’s a dispute with genuinely hurt feelings for this season. I’m a newcomer still to the seasons - I shouldn’t really comment, perhaps - but I simultaneously still feel new and feel like I’ve always been here. A bit like how I feel about the ukulele - it’s hard to imagine a time I wasn’t playing, but it’s only been a couple of years, and I still think of myself as a beginner.

What’s my point? I’ve so far found the seasons a really pleasant community, and people here have been really kind to me, with some comments really helping my playing confidence. So I really hope there’s no longer lasting bitterness, and we don’t lose sight of a good thing.

I apologise to you all for my part in this - I'll be taking a break from it all for a while - have fun! 🙂

I hear that Joo, Jon & Kevin did a version of this song that I'd really like to check out, but I'm having trouble finding it. Any help?
sorry Jim! The video has just been uploaded to Jon and my Two Little Woodpeckers channel! We have done many many songs together over the years, lost many of them, but there are still a lot, which I will slowly upload over these next few months.
Here it is! Kev played and sung on this with us!
I played the banjo uke and made illustrations for it.
Our version was based on a version by a musician whose name escaped my memory now! Hopefully Jon can fill you in if he reads and sees this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom