SOTU 608... Art and Creativity

Barbablanca: Another powerful song Bernie, perfect for this week. Magical lines..."It was the beauty in his art, The total truth that it displayed, The wondrous rush it gave to your heart, That, at best, cut like a blade"....​

UkingViking: This was a wonderful cover of 'Painter Song'. I was hoping that someone would do it this week, and it is not an easy song to play. I loved your version, you really made the song your own. Great vocals and playing!​

dr_mitch: Another fun song for this week. I had forgotten about this song, it's been a long time since I've heard it. Thanks for bring it to the Seasons.​

mikelz777:I really loved your cover of this song. The ukulele fits the song perfectly and your singing was great.​

emba: Another new song for me. Very nice playing and vocals. It would have been great to video it outside, like you said,...but hard to keep the rhythm and swat flies at the same time.​

jtsteam: Fun, original song, and it works perfectly for this week's theme. (Since I am an artist, I must say that watching paint dry can sometimes be not boring at all, as paint changes colors as it dries, and sometimes one can be quite surprised at the end result. 😁)​

Hello again! Here's a song I wrote this summer for the 50/90 songwriting challenge. It's about paint. Artists need paint, and the song is about paint, so that's why I called the song "Paint".

I wrote this as a challenge to myself to see if it was true that you could write a song about anything at all. Was it worth it, or have I jumped the shark? You decide...

if you ever get tired of watching paint dry a good substitute is watching heavy goods vehicles change gear on a very steep hill.

Okay, my fourth this season. There have been a few songs about dancing, so I thought I'd bring this one by Tim O'Brien (originally played on Mandocello).

AlanDP: Alan, what a beautiful country song for the the this week. Your strumming and singing are simple perfect with this song.​

Canada Jim: ( Fine Artiste Blues) Jim, I'm so glad you brought this perfect song to the Seasons this week. A little ragtime and lots of fun. This was another new song for me. Who would have thought that there would be so many great songs about artists? Thank you for sharing this one! (Lord of the Dance) Nice picking and rhythm.​

Stoneyrun: Beautiful cover song! The video, setting, and your vocals and playing all work together work together so well to create something very special! I loved everything about this...another perfect song for this week's theme. Thank you for sharing.​

wee_ginga_yin: Beautiful cover song! As always your creativity shines through and enhances all you do.​

dr_mitch: Another fun song...Let's get out there and dance!... Lot's of quick chords changes and you sailed through it. Great job with this!​

Today we are up to 66 videos, and there is still a lot more room for even more creative endeavors.
For those who might be thinking about doing a song, but can't quite get the courage jet, I would say....jump in and give it a try, you will find once you have posted your first video, you might discover that it is all quite fun, and you will find a lot of friendly, encouraging people, and may make a few new friends along the way.....
A few quotes to ponder or inspire:
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” – Pablo Picasso
“Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
“There are no rules. That is how art is born, how breakthroughs happen. Go against the rules or ignore the rules. That is what invention is about.” – Helen Frankenthaler
“Life is art. Art is life. I never separate it.” – Ai Weiwei
3creativity.jpeg

uke4ia: Wow, this song is perfect for this week's theme. This is the first time I have heard it, so it lead me down the Google path to learn more about it. I think it is a difficult song to play and sing and you did a great job with it, capturing the spirit of the song. The lyrics are magical...​

"Some folks see the world as a stone​

Concrete daubed in dull monotone​

Your heart is the big box of paints​

And others, the canvas we're dealt​

Your heart is the big box of paints​

How coloured the flowers all smelled​

As they huddled there in petaled prayer​

They told me this as I knelt there".....​

• Love
Reactions: joo
Oh boy did this season get right inside my head! In any event, thank you Denise for hosting, hope all is well. This is gonna be a long one so buckle up everyone…[TCK RULE]. I bought two legal pads and a pack of pens a few months ago, and Melissa asked me what I got them for (last time I did that I built an overhead railroad that goes through our house so she is always wondering what is next.)
“I am gonna write a song.”
“Well, you should open them then”
“Not yet.”
So they sat and stared at me. They have been moved, they have been dusted…but they have not been opened. Might seem strange, but I have a hard time putting myself out there- I play a song and I am happy folks like it…pretty sure an equal number hate it, and for me it is comfortable just to fling it out there (because I have to) and walk away- thank you for all the kindness you have shown me over the years or I would never interact with what I have done again. Anyway, I saw that Denise wanted us to sing about the arts and the creative process, and I thought to myself last Saturday that I ought to write something…and then I dusted the pads and pens again and did not move in that direction.
Fast forward to today. Went to do my bird thing…and Denise not only has seen my bird thing but also made a beautiful slide show of my birds, and I thought dammit Dave, you have to do this!
We are currently re-structuring our program, and so I had a loooong meeting after hanging out with my birds and several topics came up. Outside of the program, HPAI (avian influenza) and continued climate change were what we talked about the most because these things change what we do dramatically.
I went and had a beer after with friends- celebrating my birthday (Friday) and came home after to feed the background singers (my dogs), and then sat down and wrote a song! I accredit my ability to do so with the fact that I am now 51 and had not done so yet. In any event, this is my first self composed song ever. Thanks Denise for pushing me in that direction. The title is a nod to the creative process, the rest just love for my planet. It is not a good song at all…but dammit, I wrote it. [\TCK RULE]

a silly throwaway song that I made up for Val's season and realised it fits this season too....

I remember watching this series (on TV) on people's addictions...mostly about the strange things they ingest, from broken glass to cigarette ash, from papers to oil paints....Actually, a friend in art school always ate some oil paints...she liked Gamboge yellow especially....she said it looked "delicious".

she eats food!
she eats food!
she eats anything, actually...
crayons and wrapping papers,
oil paints but only some colours,
broken glass, cigarette ash....
she likes munching on egg shells.
She nibbles pages of mystery novels
and 100 Facts You Need To Know!
But those are less palatable as they are printed on glossy papers.
She has a fetish for biting her own hair but she doesn't swallow them.
She is weird ~she eats things.
She is weird -she eat things.

Last edited:
When I play my masterpiece.

Lord of the Dance is a hymn written by English songwriter Sydney Carter in 1963. The melody is from the American Shaker song Simple Gifts.
I first learned this on the octave mandolin as a wordless tune called Simple Gifts.

A simple gift
The religious group the Shakers are now more famous for their furniture than their worship music, but during their services they used to dance. Simple Gifts has a similar tune to "Lord of the dance" So this is for anybody who has had an epiphany through worship.

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.

Tis the gift to be loving, tis the best gift of all
Like a quiet rain it blesses where it falls
And with it we will truly believe
Tis better to give than it is to receive

A simple gift
The religious group the Shakers are now more famous for their furniture than their worship music, but during their services they used to dance. Simple Gifts has a similar tune to "Lord of the dance" So this is for anybody who has had an epiphany through worship.

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

Tis the gift to be loving, tis the best gift of all
Like a quiet rain it blesses where it falls
And with it we will truly believe
Tis better to give than it is to receive

I have always loved this song- excellent bring mate.

"Paul Cezanne" - from a most excellent and criminally underrated band called Five Chinese Brothers.

I've generally heard Cezanne called an impressionist, but this song argues, persuasively and entertainingly, that he was in fact The Father of Cubism.

I worked on this early in the week, but it proved more complicated than expected. It's just as well, because it fits 609 too, since it mentions some foods in Cezanne's paintings that look like things that are not food.

I wanted to make my video look as close to a cubist painting as I could, so I recorded on Zoom on my Mac using one of their provided backgrounds plus one of their filters. It was easy to record and quick to upload this way (much quicker than from a recording made on the iPhone camera, even though I AirDrop'd the Zoom-recorded video to the phone and edited and uploaded from there in my usual way).

If anybody can recommend a good iPhone camera app with a better range of effects than Zoom offers, I'd be much obliged.

Top Bottom