SOTU 609 ... FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!

There is an Allan Sherman song for every occasion. Here's one that's all about food - surveying tasty dishes from every corner of the globe.

It's parodying a happy little Brahms dance piece which you will probably recognize.

Here's "Hungarian Goulash No. 5", based on Brahms' "Hungarian Dance No. 5".

A belated "Bonjour" from your host, who has, nonetheless, brought the Playlist up to date and is, as we speak, sitting at the dining table, with her knife and fork poised, waiting for further delicate morsels to be lobbed in her direction. Thank you All for your contributions so far ....

mike-twohy-i-shouldn-t-but-i-m-going-to-have-the-garbage-new-yorker-cartoon_u-l-pgqkph0.jpg

There is an Allan Sherman song for every occasion. Here's one that's all about food - surveying tasty dishes from every corner of the globe.

It's parodying a happy little Brahms dance piece which you will probably recognize.

Here's "Hungarian Goulash No. 5", based on Brahms' "Hungarian Dance No. 5".

IMG_20231020_114322.jpg

First of a pair from me this week. I promise to catch up on my viewing. It's been a busy week.

This is a modern love song in an old Vaudeville style.

This song was on one of Van Halen's early albums in the late 70's, but it feels like it should be older than that...
I suppose the 12-bar blues is timeless no matter what food, drink or feeling is sung around it.

It Had To Be You
Of course I’m not the first ever to ask this, but doesn’t beer qualify as food?
The least interesting man in the world: "I don't always drink beer. But when I play my ukulele, I never drink Dos Equis."

It Had To Be Yuengling JINGLE.png

It’s been a hectic couple of weeks but I had to throw one in the ring for food week. Who can forget this one?! Gotta have ‘em. My dog Ellie threw in a nice growl at 2:52 right when I said “tough”. I think it added a little special sauce to this take so I kept it.

Last edited:
Here's "Candy Candy", by Leroy Shield, soundtrack music from the original Little Rascals short movies. For tenor ukulele, with overdubs of second tenor ukulele, Ashbory Ubass and whistling (off camera). I've been working on multi-part ukulele arrangements of a number of the tunes from the old Our Gang/Little Rascals movies... this is one of them. Thanks for hosting, Val!

Here's "Candy Candy", by Leroy Shield, soundtrack music from the original Little Rascals short movies. For tenor ukulele, with overdubs of second tenor ukulele, Ashbory Ubass and whistling (off camera). I've been working on multi-part ukulele arrangements of a number of the tunes from the old Our Gang/Little Rascals movies... this is one of them. Thanks for hosting, Val!
so fine… a delicious confection for the ears Brian!

And "Bonjour" on what is a very dark and depressing Saturday morning here in deepest France. I am, however, mightily cheered by the wonderful contributions of food, sweets and beer - thank you, "OldScruggsFan!" OF COURSE, beer is food! Since my chicken soup has yet to arrive - where is it, Jim? - and I am still feeling enfeebled, I am in dire need of more sustenance; so please keep those songs coming today!

e1c44f43c19693a871b5d74f72e7a940.jpg

Here's my second. It's from a FAWM Collaboration between me (Music) and Sonya Heller (Lyrics). In the song, Sonya notes how she would love to make music in her home studio all the time, but things like making food for the kids, or cooking, cleaning, etc, just seem to get in the way. I ma sure we can all identify with this one.

I hope you like:

PS Check out Sonya's albums they are great!

That brings back wonderful memories, Brian! Looking forward to more!

My YouTube friend Bea Bee requested a Christine Lavin song. Here's one of my favorite food songs ever. Christine is another fab and funny musician you should know if you don't already. Plus she's one of the nicest people on the planet.

Time for some "Cold Pizza for Breakfast". (Well, okay, as you can see, breakfast is still a few hours away.)

This is a silly little song. I've never had huckleberry anything, apparently they don't grow in this part of the country and have never been successfully commercialized; you can only get them wild. But they are supposed to be related to blueberries and have a similar flavor to blueberries, so I would probably like them.

Top Bottom