SOTU 632 "I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS"

Thank you for hosting, Val! :)

So when the theme was announced, this was a song I desperately wanted to do again (I first did it several years back with Kev Griffin @Mezcalero), but this time I wanted a female vocalist. After the fab job she did on our ‘Daniel’ cover a few months back, Marin @ChaosLibrarian was the obvious choice. And very fortunately she agreed to do it - thank you again, Marin! (Now later in the week and I’m suffering from a flu-ey type illness and a really bad cough and throat - my voice is in tatters 😢 - so I’m especially pleased to have Marin on board!)

Here I used some parts of the backing track I created for my earlier collaboration with Kev, but we added lots to it, including a completely new electric baritone uke part, some digital wind instrument, and Marin’s wonderful lead and harmony vocal parts. You’ll see how much is in there as I’ve included the GarageBand track view throughout the vid.

Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics cover with Marin Page (SOTU 632)

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to make one!

just wrote this song, not unlike some dreams i'm not really sure
what's going on but i think it's about dying

YOU WOKE UP BEFORE I DID

i was falling through the air w/out a sound
counting down the hours til my body hit the ground
the clouds passed through my skin just like a sieve
the years that never knew me: who did i spend em w/?

& you woke up before i did

the birds are singing unfamiliar songs
as i pass them on the way down; left + right + wrong
i thought that you'd be there to break my fall
i said a silent prayer for every single lie i've told
i crossed myself + marked it on the grid

but you woke up
you woke up
you woke up before i did

the ink's still bleeding wet upon my skin
as i'm knocking on the front door but there's no-one to let me in
you're lying crumpled down there on the floor
surrender all your dreams when you don't need them anymore
some things have only so much they can give
eternity is calling: 'who will you spend me w/?
the light it stole away the safe places where we hid

& you woke up
& i woke up
but you woke up before i did

At the hop
Whether thou goest I will go.

Put me in your suitcase
Let me help you pack
'Cause you're never coming back
No you're never coming back
Cook me in your breakfast
And put me on your plate
Cause you know I'll taste great
Yeah you know I taste great
At the hop its greaseball heaven
With candy pants
And archie too
Put me in your dry dream
Oh put me in your wet
If you haven't yet
No if you haven't yet
Light me with your candle
And watch that flames grow high
You know it doesn't hurt to try
It doesn't hurt to try
Well I won't stop all of my pretending
That you'll come home
You'll be comin' home some day soon
Put me in your blue skies
Oh put me in your grey
There's gotta be some way
There's gotta be some way
Put me in your tongue tied
Make it hard to say
That you ain't gonna stay
That you ain't gonna stay
Wrap me in your marrow
And stuff me in your bones
And sing a mending moan
A song to bring you home

Last edited:
Greetings, One and All, from deepest France ... where I have overslept and dreamt not a thing! I have just updated the Playlist and we are up to a magnificent 79 songs; my thanks to everyone! I hope you are all enjoying/have enjoyed your Easter Saturday. I shall celebrate by going grocery shopping, as there is Family arriving this evening. If you aren't too busy hunting high and low for your Easter eggs, please think about bringing me more songs today. AND, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JIM!!! Since we are still Easter Bunny fixated ...

a-rabbit-is-being-pulled-out-of-a-hat-david-borchart.jpg

YOU WOKE UP BEFORE I DID

i was falling through the air w/out a sound
counting down the hours til my body hit the ground
the clouds passed through my skin just like a sieve
the years that never knew me: who did i spend em w/?

& you woke up before i did

the birds are singing unfamiliar songs
as i pass them on the way down; left + right + wrong
i thought that you'd be there to break my fall
i said a silent prayer for every single lie i've told
i crossed myself + marked it on the grid

but you woke up
you woke up
you woke up before i did

the ink's still bleeding wet upon my skin
you're lying crumpled down there on the floor
surrender all your dreams when you don't need them anymore
some things have only so much they can give
eternity is calling: 'who will you spend me w/?
the light it stole away the safe places where we hid

& you woke up
& i woke up
but you woke up before i did

What wonderful, existential lyrics, Jon and a great percussive accompaniment! I think this falls into the "nightmare" category! Great stuff, Sir ... thank you!

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me".
Screenshot_20240330-101911_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Holman Hunt The light of the world.

I thought your song was about hope of the resurrection, it being Easter and all

Last edited:
\m/ Metallica was the first stadium concert I ever attended back in 1997...I was 15 then. 3 years later, Enter Sandman became one of the first riffs I learned 24 years ago back in High School. That, some campfire chords and some power chords was all I knew how to play.

Anyway, I'm sure you've all seen my latest gear acquisition (a Paul Gilbert 3/4 electric guitar)...The very first thing I played on it was Enter Sandman and I couldn't believe I still remember how to play it...The heavy palm muted chugs are still my go to each time I pick up a guitar.
This is awesome! I'm glad we could trigger that memory of yours to share with us!! I wish my memory worked so well, when we started to record this song... coz I did practice it with some palm muting, when I was working on it on my own. I'm gonna go ahead and blame my forgotten practice on the Singapore heat and overexcitement to play with @joo in a room that I'd only seen on camera for so long. So much cool art in there, as you curious and astute Seasonistas might imagine. 😍

A slightly different take on the Eurythmic's Sweet Dreams. It's instrumental so feel free to sing along with the revised lyrics with all the cheese & brie references.

This was surprisingly fun to play. I tried to stay pretty faithful to the original, but I feel like I kinda went halfway between Eurythmics and Marilyn Manson. :ROFLMAO:

I started practicing the opening lick last Saturday when this season was announced. I settled on the structure pretty early on. What took the longest was learning the vocal melody on piano, as well as learning the harmonies on the ukulele...Finding the right synth patches & guitar pedals also ate up a lot of time.

Musically, my favorite parts are the call and response. I also like the effect that the strings doubling the bass and the brass playing the 5th of the strings. It was a subtle addition, but it felt lacking compared to the heavier last half. But the combination of those 3 sets a nice mood that I'm digging now that I'm listening to it as a complete piece.

Last edited:
I remember it is Jim's birthday today, or was it yesterday?
While thinking of a song to play for Jim, I dunno how it happened but I stumbled across someone called David Yates on YouTube yesterday, playing this song by Bob Dylan. (It is 2.50 AM now)
i looked at the video thumbnail and i thought he looked like our friend Jim Yates. And then i realised David is Jim's brother.
i thought I could play this song with one of my family members, for Jim, to make it more meaningful. As my youngest brother was coming over for dinner with his family, i decided i could ask my nephews to play it with me. Jensen just woke up from his nap and was feeling grumpy. So i asked 14 year-old Gylan to play it with me. Like most teenagers his age, Gylan is glued to his phone. I find it almost impossible to have a proper conversation with him these days when all he seems interested is watching Tik Tok videos, messaging his friends, or playing games on his phone whenever he is here. (I dunno what else he does on his phone)
So i was super happy he agreed to play it with me. But when we sat down to play it, he started losing interest when i told him not to rush in his strumming, and after he found it hard to fret the Fm chord. He then remarked on how "old-fashioned" i was in navigating on the computer as i was using a mouse instead of using keyboard shortcuts.
I told him it didn't matter how i navigate, so long i get to the pages i wanted with just a click on my mouse. I asked him why it was "old fashioned" when i didn't navigate the way he navigates on the computer, and he said: i dunno how to say it, it is just a vibe.
I soon worked out that he was not really interested to learn the song, and dismissed my using the mouse as "old-fashioned". He said "everybody uses keyboard shortcuts".

So for the first time today, I realised my teenage nephew is no longer interested in doing things or spending time with the same aunt who had played with him all his life, the same aunt he used to admire and look up to, because she is now too "old-fashioned" and not cool enough for him.

It did hit me, not because i feel old or uncool. I feel a little sad. It must be so tough to have to be cool and be like everyone else all the time.

so i went out walking again and only came back to record this song 2 hours ago. i thought i would share this little incident about the changes that occur to everyone when growing up and growing older!

Here is wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Jim!
(I think you are really cool).

I recorded this straight to my phone. But i used a photo of a tree i saw yesterday afternoon when i was out walking.

Last edited:
I remember it is Jim's birthday today, or was it yesterday?
While thinking of a song to play for Jim, I dunno how it happened but I stumbled across someone called David Yates on YouTube yesterday, playing this song by Bob Dylan. (It is 2.50 AM now)
i looked at the video thumbnail and i thought he looked like our friend Jim Yates. And then i realised David is Jim's brother.
i thought I could play this song with one of my family members, for Jim, to make it more meaningful. As my youngest brother was coming over for dinner with his family, i decided i could ask my nephews to play it with me. Jensen just woke up from his nap and was feeling grumpy. So i asked 14 year-old Gylan to play it with me. Like most teenagers his age, Gylan is glued to his phone. I find it almost impossible to have a proper conversation with him these days when all he seems interested is watching Tik Tok videos, messaging his friends, or playing games on his phone whenever he is here. (I dunno what else he does on his phone)
So i was super happy he agreed to play it with me. But when we sat down to play it, he started losing interest when i told him not to rush in his strumming, and after he found it hard to fret the Fm chord. He then remarked on how "old-fashioned" i was in navigating on the computer as i was using a mouse instead of using keyboard shortcuts.
I told him it didn't matter how i navigate, so long i get to the pages i wanted with just a click on my mouse. I asked him why it was "old fashioned" when i didn't navigate the way he navigates on the computer, and he said: i dunno how to say it, it is just a vibe.
I soon worked out that he was not really interested to learn the song, and dismissed my using the mouse as "old-fashioned". He said "everybody uses keyboard shortcuts".

So for the first time today, I realised my teenage nephew is no longer interested in doing things or spending time with the same aunt who had played with him all his life, the same aunt he used to admire and look up to, because she is now too "old-fashioned" and not cool enough for him.

It did hit me, not because i feel old or uncool. I feel a little sad. It must be so tough to have to be cool and be like everyone else all the time.

so i went out walking again and only came back to record this song 2 hours ago. i thought i would share this little incident about the changes that occur to everyone when growing up and growing older!

Here is wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Jim!
(I think you are really cool).

I recorded this straight to my phone. But i used a photo of a tree i saw yesterday afternoon when i was out walking.

I know, it’s so sad when they hit that stage.😞I’m sure he’ll grow out of it and remember all the cool things you did together. I recently had my 14 yr old nephew over for a couple days while my sister was in Vegas for work…and it was just that way!! He didn’t want or need anything from me but food!😆
Happy birthday, Jim!🎂🎉🎈
This is a beautiful song, Joo!✨❤️

Top Bottom