SOTU 632 "I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS"

i swore i'd never do a "two-fer", but well, this just happened
an original song for the season
a story of a guy queuing up at a bar then his girlfriend has a car crash...

FADE IN THE SUN

it's the same thing every time
staying up to stand in line
bloody handkerchief in your pocket + a flask of stale red wine

it's 5 minutes to midnight
when the call comes through
she ran off the bend at Margate now what are you gonna do?

hold onto your dream while you've still got one to cling to
feel the time tick in your chest til you get a clearer view
let the storm blow over, let the race be run
then let it all fade in the sun

grab your set of car keys
slip it into first
hope that she's still breathing, hope the ambulance gets there first

stench all through the ED
never felt so alone
every road in each direction leads anywhere but home

let it all fade in the sun

Last edited:
After wanting to participate for longer than I can say, this my first attempt at a SOTU entry. The song is Asleep by The Smiths. It was much harder and took much longer to put together than I had imagined. I'm hoping it's a foundation for better submissions in the future.

Multitrack recording with the following:
High G Ukulele (Blackbird Clara)
Low G Ukulele (Collings UC1)
Tenor Guitar (Harmony H-4141/Moonlight Luthiers x-brace conversation)
Cajon (Meinl)
Vocals

I remember it is Jim's birthday today, or was it yesterday?
While thinking of a song to play for Jim, I dunno how it happened but I stumbled across someone called David Yates on YouTube yesterday, playing this song by Bob Dylan. (It is 2.50 AM now)
i looked at the video thumbnail and i thought he looked like our friend Jim Yates. And then i realised David is Jim's brother.
i thought I could play this song with one of my family members, for Jim, to make it more meaningful. As my youngest brother was coming over for dinner with his family, i decided i could ask my nephews to play it with me. Jensen just woke up from his nap and was feeling grumpy. So i asked 14 year-old Gylan to play it with me. Like most teenagers his age, Gylan is glued to his phone. I find it almost impossible to have a proper conversation with him these days when all he seems interested is watching Tik Tok videos, messaging his friends, or playing games on his phone whenever he is here. (I dunno what else he does on his phone)
So i was super happy he agreed to play it with me. But when we sat down to play it, he started losing interest when i told him not to rush in his strumming, and after he found it hard to fret the Fm chord. He then remarked on how "old-fashioned" i was in navigating on the computer as i was using a mouse instead of using keyboard shortcuts.
I told him it didn't matter how i navigate, so long i get to the pages i wanted with just a click on my mouse. I asked him why it was "old fashioned" when i didn't navigate the way he navigates on the computer, and he said: i dunno how to say it, it is just a vibe.
I soon worked out that he was not really interested to learn the song, and dismissed my using the mouse as "old-fashioned". He said "everybody uses keyboard shortcuts".

So for the first time today, I realised my teenage nephew is no longer interested in doing things or spending time with the same aunt who had played with him all his life, the same aunt he used to admire and look up to, because she is now too "old-fashioned" and not cool enough for him.

It did hit me, not because i feel old or uncool. I feel a little sad. It must be so tough to have to be cool and be like everyone else all the time.

so i went out walking again and only came back to record this song 2 hours ago. i thought i would share this little incident about the changes that occur to everyone when growing up and growing older!

Here is wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Jim!
(I think you are really cool).

I recorded this straight to my phone. But i used a photo of a tree i saw yesterday afternoon when i was out walking.

This DOES happen, Joo ... and they DO grow out of it; so hang on in there! Younger son, Tom arrived here last night with Oscar HIS son. Oscar is fourteen like Gylan and is actually the sweetest boy ... as was his Dad as at a similar age. His cousin, William, a couple of years older, is also a sweet boy, but William's brother, Tommy (also fourteen) was almost impossible to communicate with when I saw him at Christmas. But however "ornery" he is now, Gylan will revert to type in a few years and remember how lucky he is to have you as his Auntie! He might even be persuaded to pick up a uke again!

• Love
Reactions: joo
i swore i'd never do a "two-fer", but well, this just happened
an original song for the season
a story of a guy queuing up at a bar then his girlfriend has a car crash...

FADE IN THE SUN

it's the same thing every time
staying up to stand in line
bloody handkerchief in your pocket + a flask of stale red wine

it's 5 minutes to midnight
when the call comes through
she ran off the bend at Margate now what are you gonna do?

grab your set of car keys
slip it into first
hope that she's still breathing, hope the ambulance gets there first

stench all through the ED
never felt so alone
every road in each direction leads anywhere but home

let it all fade in the sun

Ye gods ... a nightmare scenario, Jon! Those lyrics are such a relatable response to a life-changing situation ... can you hang on to your hopes and dreams a little longer before you are forced to admit to reality? Not sure where this came from on Easter Sunday; but it's great stuff. Thank you, Sir!

And Happy Easter Sunday to you All! I have lost an hour of my life ... the clocks went forward to Summer Time last night and nobody told me! Thanks so much for all the wonderful songs - I've just added the "over-nighters" to the Playlist, which is now up-to-date! AND WE HAVE A NEW SEASONISTA ... THANK YOU, SHAW; AND WELCOME! Please let me know if I have inadvertently omitted you from the Playlist and I will remedy it forthwith. (On that note, please don't feel aggrieved if I have neglected to "like" you here. It doesn't come naturally to me to "like" everything - any more than it does to scatter emojis (an absolute anathema to me) left, right and centre - but I LOVE you All; that goes without saying!) The sun is shining here this morning and I hope it is for you, wherever you are. Please find time, if you can, to bring me more dreams, nightmares and bedtime stories today. And, since I am still fixated on the Easter Bunny (although I'm not sure this cartoon is very PC) ,,.

1733944cb054a08a81bf417b34c06215.jpg

Last edited:
After wanting to participate for longer than I can say, this my first attempt at a SOTU entry. The song is Asleep by The Smiths. It was much harder and took much longer to put together than I had imagined. I'm hoping it's a foundation for better submissions in the future.

Multitrack recording with the following:
High G Ukulele (Blackbird Clara)
Low G Ukulele (Collings UC1)
Tenor Guitar (Harmony H-4141/Moonlight Luthiers x-brace conversation)
Cajon (Meinl)
Vocals

It's way better than my first efforts at recording multiple instruments! But yeah, it's definitely time consuming to do these but I hope you had fun going through the process!

I promise it gets easier the more you do it...it is a slippery slope though! (See my last video 🤣 )

Edit - is there a reason why you used both a low and a high g uke?

Last edited:
It's way better than my first efforts at recording multiple instruments! But yeah, it's definitely time consuming to do these but I hope you had fun going through the process!

I promise it gets easier the more you do it...it is a slippery slope though! (See my last video 🤣 )

Edit - is there a reason why you used both a low and a high g uke?
Thanks! I really enjoyed your video and can imagine that quite a lot went into that production.

Personally, I like strumming the rhythm on a high g ukulele (fairly low in this mix) and finger picking on a low g. I also have the tenor guitar set up as an octave ukulele with GCEA one octave lower.

I like this combination because I learn a single set of chords and use the same fingering on all instruments, but essentially treat the high g as my rhythm instrument, low g as the lead, and tenor guitar as the bass.

Dashing in under the wire with another collab with the great @ukudancer! Thank you, Arvin, for your amazing work on this song! It's one of my all time favorite car-belters, and getting to record it with ALL the instruments was a real treat!

Thanks, Val for choosing this theme before I had to give up @Caspar's Beansprout. I still can't reliably get in and out of an E chord on a GCEA uke, but the Baritone made it a breeze.

Chris and I went to the Botanical Gardens yesterday. Of course we had our ukes with us!
We played So Long, Farewell by Rodgers and Hammerstein from The Sound Of Music. Wendy did this wonderfully for one of a recent Seasons. I think Wendy's birds had flown all the way from her backyard to join us.

if you think this looks fun and silly, check out the longer and sillier version on Season 633!

Top Bottom