SOTU 633: Time is on my side (yes it is)

Thanks for hosting, Paul!

Here's another from me and Joo at the Singapore Botanic Gardens. This song originally came to mind for the season coz it's a bit deeper and has a more serious tone. It's a vibe. Unfortunately, I've been having smiling fits lately and I didn't quite capture that vibe fully on our single take. We might need a few more deep breaths and intention to pull off a serious song. 😬

I'm gonna go ahead and blame my brain lapses on a lack of sleep and the excessive heat. Hey! Maybe that's another good thing about traveling... you can be completely bonkers and you can blame it on outside forces or even just say something like, "I didn't know that was the 'rule' here." I guess as long as you don't get hit by a car that's driving on the wrong side of the street.

Anyways!.. Here's our take on Til Kingdom Come by Coldplay.

A cover of It's Only Time by Mark Curry. Back to my Enya tenor ukulele in high G for main accompaniment and for bass line (with pitch shift effect) and a clock (with some noises from cockatoos) for percussion along with vocals. Image is of my ukuleles and other instruments that share some similarities with ukuleles.

Normally the clock is one of the stray noises I try and ensure doesn't get recorded though I've heard it in the background of some songs but to go with time I've used it. Some noises of cockatoos on the roof and screeching outside but they weren't too bad in the section I recorded. In one of those strange coincidences the section I used to loop ended up as 17 bars which was the number of bars in the chord progression of the original from earlier.

Thanks for hosting, Paul!

Here's another from me and Joo at the Singapore Botanic Gardens. This song originally came to mind for the season coz it's a bit deeper and has a more serious tone. It's a vibe. Unfortunately, I've been having smiling fits lately and I didn't quite capture that vibe fully on our single take. We might need a few more deep breaths and intention to pull off a serious song. 😬

I'm gonna go ahead and blame my brain lapses on a lack of sleep and the excessive heat. Hey! Maybe that's another good thing about traveling... you can be completely bonkers and you can blame it on outside forces or even just say something like, "I didn't know that was the 'rule' here." I guess as long as you don't get hit by a car that's driving on the wrong side of the street.

Anyways!.. Here's our take on Til Kingdom Come by Coldplay.

You should blame it on JOO!

April has arrived, and must be celebrated.

It mentions time a few times in there - you'll just have to listen.

Well, I've just lost a whole hour - no one told me the clocks were changing! A very "timely" theme, Paul!
Yes. Yesterday, we celebrated the memory of this great West German statesman
. Screenshot_20240331_101506_X.jpg
Come October, we'll be tipping our hats to this great American sporting giant

.hq720.jpgfront.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Paul, and thank you for hosting! I bring you a song which focuses on an evening sometime in the mid-Sixties. (I am confined to recording in the bedroom for the next couple of weeks as I have a house full of "proper" musicians - well, two of them - and I DO NOT want to be judged!)

Wow - what a start to the week. I’ve just caught up, and I’ve been thoroughly enjoying myself immersing myself in the timely music. Please keep it coming!

This is a Bob Dylan song recorded during his "Self Portrait" sessions though the song ended up on the "New Morning" album. The version I'm singing here is an alternate version from what appeared on the album. I discovered the alternate version, which also features George Harrison, on "The Bootleg Series vol. 10: Another Self-Portrait 1969-1971" - Time Passes Slowly.

Last edited:
Now for something completely different...

Here's a multitrack ukulele-only version of Coldplay's Clocks.
Track 1 is the signature riff played on soprano ukulele.
Track 2 is rhythm played on on soprano ukulele.
Track 3 is my vocal, with an applied effect.
Track 4 is a midi drum patch.

The rhythm and riff uke tracks are raw. There's no effects. Only the single vocal was processed. I was trying to get that hollow vocal sound, like on the original. The mix sounds better without the vocal effect. Cleaner for sure. The riff is 8 notes to a measure, of a repeating pattern, laid out in groups of 3. It's a reverse banjo roll! Here's what the roll rhythm sounds like: 123 123 12. It's just arpeggios, but played in banjo-roll style. The midi percussion is cheesy, but it's all I had available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom