SOTU 635: Castles

It takes its time , but it DOES eventually mention the required edifice !
Plus: When is a Castle not a castle ?
When its a fortified home,
And called a Bastle !
To be found in the borders area of Cumbria,
Norhumberland and Scotland.
As protection from the Reivers

I wasn't expecting many to pick this one to perform as it cleverly fits the theme with Castillo. :)

Super glad to have @UkerDrew on board for this George Ezra tune. The moment I thought of doing this song for the season, I heard Andrew's voice in my head and thought it go over well if he was up for it.

Anyway, I'm super happy with how this turned out. Andrew, thanks for being patient with me and being super willing to live with this song for a week and keep adding little pieces here and there. This could not have been possible without you, so thanks a million. I hope you had some fun in the process.

I wasn't expecting many to pick this one to perform as it cleverly fits the theme with Castillo. :)

Super glad to have @UkerDrew on board for this George Ezra tune. The moment I thought of doing this song for the season, I heard Andrew's voice in my head and thought it go over well if he was up for it.

Anyway, I'm super happy with how this turned out. Andrew, thanks for being patient with me and being super willing to live with this song for a week and keep adding little pieces here and there. This could not have been possible without you, so thanks a million. I hope you had some fun in the process.

incredible guys. your favourite song @tanya Aho

Turned out great! it was an honor Arvin!

I’m not usually a multi tracker so it’s always a pleasure when someone else does the heavy lifting for me.

I'm always happy to do the heavy lifting. I don't get to edit fun stuff like this in my real job anymore, so these are always a treat for me. If you ever have a song you want to do, just message me and we'll go from there.

David Allan Coe performed a tribute to Bob Dylan called Castles in the Sand back in 1983.... Here's an incomplete cover...

Well, I did a set at last Sunday's open mic intended for this Season, that included three castle songs, and almost a fourth - three of which have since been done much better by others ... and then my week was very full and I didn't get around to posting it till this morning ... and then for some reason it took 10 hours to upload.

In the meantime, I did three better ones at home today, all from musicals featuring castles. None of them actually uses the word castle in the song (though one does in the lead-up dialogue), but they are all about the castles or castle-centric.

#1 is from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". I've always thought it was called "There's a Light", but it is in fact called "Over at the Frankenstein Place". The Frankenstein place is, of course, a creepy castle, inside of which all sorts of shenanigans are about to take place. It is sung by Janet, Brad, and Riff Raff, though I look more like Magenta.

#2 is from the wonderful Lerner and Loewe "Cinderella" - see it if you haven't, it's delightful. Here the Prince is singing to Cinderella, who he has met "Ten Minutes Ago" - at the ball, in his castle, where he is now dancing with her and singing of his instant love for her. It's a wonderful song!

#3 is the theme song from Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Camelot". Camelot is a castle, as well as its kingdom. Here, shy King Arthur has just met his reluctant queen-to-be Guenevere, and is regaling her with the wonders of Camelot, which clearly has better weather than any place else in England.

And here, because it has finally uploaded, is my rather sloppy set from a week ago, featuring the enthusiastic pick-up band of David on keyboard, Roland on sax, and Garth on cajon.

The castle songs are

"If You Could Read My Mind" - Gordon Lightfoot
"Listen to the Music" - The Doobie Brothers
"Viva La Vida" - Coldplay

And because I intended to post while 634 was still in Season, I opened with "Without Larynx (Laryngitis Song) - my Badfinger / Nilsson parody from last week.

(The fourth castle song I was planning was "Budapest". I'm really happy not to have scooped the wonderful collab that was just posted!)

"No man's an island, and his castle isn't home..." This is a Jethro Tull song, and it turned out to be very hard to coordinate the vocal and playing rhythms. So it's kind of ragged, but I've missed the last two weeks and wanted to get something in for this Season.

A last minute one for you Sabine. You’ll have to stick it out til the 3rd verse for mention of a castle. Thanks for hosting.

[edit] I realize I should clarify that slow here is really “SLO”, as in San Luis Obispo, a town on California’s central coast. This was on a 1978 album of songs local-ish artists to promote the city. I think it was the first time a song by “Weird Al” was released on an album, but I could be wrong, I feel the need to caveat as there has been a rash of reply guys on some of my YT posts lately.

Last edited:
I had "Guinevere" by Buskin and Batteau on my list for this week, and then figured I wasn't going to get to it, since it's almost over and I don't know the song very well.

But then I realized that Guinevere is a girl's name, which makes it a nice twofer with 636 part 3.

I still don't know the song completely, so my melody is approximate, especially in the middle sections. But it's still a pretty song.

Yesterday I brought you King Arthur singing to Guinevere (or Guenevere, as she's called in Camelot). This one is the other guy in the triangle, Lancelot, attempting to woo her away from him. Spoiler alert: the story does not end well for any of them.

Top Bottom