SOTU 640: BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN

And with yet more appalling puns/jokes - thank you, John, Rob and Brian - we are into Day 2 of this extravaganza into the Old West! (Should anyone be in a more serious frame of mind, don't forget the other side of this week's theme ... triumph over adversity and all that.) Meanwhile, John, please do not be disappointed, there is every opportunity to bring songs about wagons and carriages, providing there is a horse attached ...
ab78924a97df80afe1a8b204e5537544.jpg
The Playlist is up to date ... thank you All!

Last edited:

A couple of you have been kind enough to my entry for this Season, mentioning that they'd not previously come across the introductory verse.

In musicals, of course, the verse is usually just there to warn the audience that a set of choruses is on its way(!), so it (the verse) rarely appears in recordings. But if anyone is interested in taking on the verse, I've transcribed it into Musescore (here). The original's in E♭, but I've transposed it here into a (presumably) more uke-friendly key, i.e., D (I've re-written the 9th chords in the original as half-diminished 7ths (m7♭5)/root* here, since a 9th's a five-note chord, but there's only 4 strings on a ukulele ; -) ).

I'm_an_old_cowhand-1.pngI'm_an_old_cowhand-2.crop.png
You can hear the verse sung in this 1947 short. The usual era-related warnings apply:

Edit: * G#m7♭5 = Bm6, & D#m7♭5 = F#m6, if that helps

Last edited:
A couple of you have been kind enough to my entry for this Season, mentioning that they'd not previously come across the introductory verse.

In musicals, of course, the verse is usually just there to warn the audience that a set of choruses is on its way(!), so it (the verse) rarely appears in recordings. But if anyone is interested in taking on the verse, I've transcribed it into Musescore (here). The original's in Eb, but I've transposed it here into a (presumably) more uke-friendly key, i.e., D (I've re-written the 9th chords in the original as half-diminished 7ths (m7b5)/root here, since a 9th's a five-note chord, but there's only 4 strings on a ukulele ; -) ).
View attachment 173807
View attachment 173804
You can hear the verse sung in this 1947 short. The usual era-related warnings apply:

Thanks for putting that up, Paul ... I think it's great to find the introductory verses to these old songs; they're so often omitted in later recordings. (I'm hoping that you'll make a return later in the week with your splendid cowboy outfit!)

And with yet more appalling puns/jokes - thank you, John, Rob and Brian - we are into Day 2 of this extravaganza into the Old West! (Should anyone be in a more serious frame of mind, don't forget the other side of this week's theme ... triumph over adversity and all that.) Meanwhile, John, please do not be disappointed, there is every opportunity to bring songs about wagons and carriages, providing there is a horse attached ...
View attachment 173786
The Playlist is up to date ... thank you All!
That cart looks like an early version of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert 🤔

I've done it twice before for the seasons, so I won't do it myself, but I encourage anyone to play Ballad of the Absent Mare by Leonard Cohen or Ballad of the Runaway Horse by EmmyLou Harris or Jennifer Warnes

Last edited:
I've done it twice before for the seasons, so I won't do it myself, but I encourage anyone to play Ballad of the Absent Mare by Leonard Cohen or Ballad of the Runaway Horse by EmmyLou Harris or Jennifer Warnes
….and, if I may add, Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphey.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting that up, Paul ... I think it's great to find the introductory verses to these old songs; they're so often omitted in later recordings. (I'm hoping that you'll make a return later in the week with your splendid cowboy outfit!)
The musical term for the introductory verse before the main part of a song featuring horses is known as the
”horse d’oeuvres”

That cart looks like an early version of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert 🤔
I nearly made this exact comment last night. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Or however you say that in Aussie.

I've been occasionally lurking and enjoying the many creative contributions from the veteran Seasonistas to these challenges; fully never expecting to jump in since I am not—and never have been—much of a singer. But this topic reminded me of this great song by Sons Of The Pioneers that I really like, which happens to have very simple chords with a melody that's not too challenging for my limited range. So this morning I decided to get out of my comfort zone in the Classical threads enough to try it out, even if it meant singing.
I started by recording a MIDI string bass line to a click track for helping keep my place, then played and sang along to that bass line thru a single USB mic plugged into the laptop. Finally I overdubbed the little solo melody line in the middle. Please pardon the vocally-challenged attempt but this is a classic song I thought should be represented. I don't know if anyone's already done this one yet, I've been avoiding this thread so I wouldn't know and become intimidated or deterred. So here's a novice first attempt into the Challenge...

Welcome aboard Timm!

If anyone is looking for a song about picking yourself up and dusting yourself off you could do a lot worse than this fabulous Seasonista original:

I miss Randy every season still, along withmany of the other regulars who have drifted away. Thanks for hosting Val. I don’t know if the Kinks ever sang about cowboys, but I’ll try to come up with something.

It is said that the inspiration for this song comes from a series of short poems and illustrations called Ten Bulls. It is supposed to be about the stages on the path to enlightenment. I prefer to think that Leonard is having women trouble once again.

1. In Search of the Bull (aimless searching, only the sound of cicadas)
2. Discovery of the Footprints (a path to follow)
3. Perceiving the Bull (but only its rear, not its head)
4. Catching the Bull (a great struggle, the bull repeatedly escapes, discipline required)
5. Taming the Bull (less straying, less discipline, bull becomes gentle and obedient)
6. Riding the Bull Home (great joy)
7. The Bull Transcended (once home, the bull is forgotten, discipline's whip is idle; stillness)
8. Both Bull and Self Transcended (all forgotten and empty)
9. Reaching the Source (unconcerned with or without; the sound of cicadas)
10. Return to Society (crowded marketplace; spreading enlightenment by mingling with humankind)

Anyone remember Cat Steven album "Catch bull at four"

Last edited:
Top Bottom