SOTU 640: BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN

The Little White Uke which was a project started by Pabrizzer and travelled all round the world hits Finland, and this is a story of a man and his horse and his sledge. The Suomenhevonen has a special place in the hearts of Finns, because it is excellent at everything.

That's a lovely video, Rob ... thanks for posting it! I had no idea that there was a Finnish horse breed ... they're beautiful animals.

That's a lovely video, Rob ... thanks for posting it! I had no idea that there was a Finnish horse breed ... they're beautiful animals.
They were thousand of them used in the war against Russia, they didn't need roads and could travel through forests in deep snow, there was a deep bond between the horses and the men who cared for them. They were mainly used for bringing food and supplies to the troops. They are indeed beautiful animals.

Thanks for hosting, Val! 🙂

The White Horses was a 1965 Yugoslavian children’s TV series that was (badly) dubbed into English and shown here in the UK on Saturday mornings and during school holidays from 1968 until 1978. The series was repeated many times over, but the only thing I remember about it is the wistful and evocative theme song, which, in 2003, was declared the greatest in history by the Penguin Television Companion. It is extremely fondly remembered here, so I suspect my version may attract some negative feedback on YouTube by its multitude of fans - I could be in for a bumpy (horse) ride with this one! 🫣

I’ve added some synth bass, French horn (played via Bluetooth/MIDI with my digital wind instrument), pads and percussion to baritone uke, and some vocal harmonies too.

I think `Apache' fits and I've been practicing. Of course the Shadows hat the hit with this instrumental, but Jerry Lordan was the writer - and the Shadows decided they liked the song when Jerry Lordan played it to them on ukulele. So in a sense it's doubly fitting.

What in tarnation ... if it ain't Friday agin! Time fer all you greenhorns to mosey up to the corral and give them windpipes an airing afore it's too late! (Or, please, if you haven't already, bring me some songs ... getting a bit carried away with "cowboy-speak!") Although, of course, them cowboys ain't wot they used ta be ....
45acf015a10ed72f8a173338ee0ef04e.jpg

Good morning, Val! This is one of those serendipitous Seasons finds. What a fantastic song ... that I had not heard before today.

"I Am Not the Only Cowboy" by Josh Joplin Group.

Tom Russell song about a cowboy who makes a big mistake.

Well the Mezcal is free in Amanda's saloon
For the boys from the old Broken O
Saturday nights in the town of Sonora
Are the best in all Mexico
They've got guitars and trumpets and sweet senoritas
Who won't want to let you go
You'd never believe such a gay happy town
Had a street named Sonora's Death Row

Well inside Amanda's we were all dancin'
With all of Amanda's gals
I won some silver at seven card stud
So I was outdoin' my pals
But the whiskey and mezcal and peso cigars
Drove me outside for some air
Where somebody whispered "Your life or your money"
I reached but my gun wasn't there

I woke up face down in Amanda's back alley
Aware of the fool I had been
I rushed to my pony, I grabbed my Winchester
And I entered Amanda's Again
Where I saw my partners twirlin' my pistols
And throwin' my money Around
Blinded by rage, I pulled the trigger
And one of them fell to the ground

Well Amanda's grew silent like night in the desert
My friends stared in pure disbelief
Amanda was kneeling beside the dead cowboy
Plainly expressing her grief
And as I bowed my head, a tremble shot through me
My six-gun was there at my side
I felt in my pockets and there was my money
I fell to my knees and I cried

For a nightmare of mezcal was all that it was
No one had robbed me at all
I wish I was dreamin' the sound of the gallows
They're testin' just outside the walls
And the mezcal's still free in Amanda's saloon
For the boys from the old Broken O
And I'd give a ransom to drink there today
And be free of Sonora's Death Row
Yeah I'd give a ransom to drink there today
And be free of Sonora's Death Row

thanks for hosting, Val!

I have been really busy lately. Been painting. Found some time to make some videos last week. They had some really warm and kind comments, really appreciated them. Had not even replied to them properly. I will soon.

I have not watched much of others' lately. I will and want to better manage my time to do that. The seasons is a great thing to have alongside 200 things i wanna do.

Hope everyone is well and having a nice week so far.

Theme on horses?
I woke up and made 2 videos today.
My 2 (of a few) experiences with horses.

For music i am grateful and honoured to have Jon play something. He improvised on his uke.

I am playing my ukes less lately 'cause i've been so busy, but i do play them.
There has been some major road works going on down the road and it is near impossible to record anything.

here is the video. I will include the back story below. Hope it will not bore you.

This is a true story.

When I was a child I never had any new, nice toys that other kids around me had. No teddy bears, girly dolls. I did have toys : hand-me-downs, or stuff my parents or grandparents found from discarded piles of used things, something our neighbours threw out.

The first toy I had was a pink rubber pony. I think it was one of the My Little Pony series. I dunno where my granny got it. Maybe from a flea market. It was old, used, dirty. But it was PINK.I was thrilled to have it. The pink of the pony was a big deal to me.I felt I HAD SOMETHING COOL. A proper toy.

I remember we were going to have this show-and-tell session in class where we had to talk about our favourite toy. I was stressed out because I had NO toy at that time. Don't get me wrong. I had lots of fun playing at my grandparents' chicken farm. I just never played with proper toys like teddy bears or toy ponies or girly dolls. I played in nature...with rainwater, flowers, insects.... I tried to make a sound with a leaf between my lips, I caught spiders and watched them fight, things like that. I never owned a thing called a toy that was MINE. Being gifted with a toy pony was a new experience to me.

I think I must have told my grandma about it (the show and tell thing) and she somehow found me this rubber pony. I took it to school and used it for the Show-and-Tell the next day.I realised what seemed fancy to me was only a dull, second-hand rubber pony compared to the flashy cars and new barbie dolls other kids showed off.

I also remember feeling like such a fake because that wasn't my toy. I had no connection with it yet, having it for only a few hours, and trying to tell a story that wasn't mine.

That reminds me, a horse walks into a bar and the barman says to him, “Why the long face”

The horse replies,” Where to start? Global warming, the cost of living crisis. War in the Middle East and on top of that I think I’m going lame……” ***

*** This joke was brought to you courtesy of Jokes-That-Haven’t-Been-Thought-Out-Properly.com

That reminds me, a horse walks into a bar and the barman says to him, “Why the long face”

The horse replies,” Where to start? Global warming, the cost of living crisis. War in the Middle East and on top of that I think I’m going lame……” ***

*** This joke was brought to you courtesy of Jokes-That-Haven’t-Been-Thought-Out-Properly.com
Well, it's a good'un, whether it was thought out properly or not!

Thank you for hosting Val. Wasn’t sure I’d get anything done for this season, very busy week, but I managed to rattle off this original. I did some other drawings but they were too “literal” so in the end I just used a still of a cartoon elephant I did, which is random, but the song is a bit random anyway, even if it does mention a horse. This song features a face melting solo on mbira.

I went for the Brokeback Mountain look to-day. The hat's a gen-u-wine Stetson, btw (bought in Bruges!! :-D).
Talking of BBM, do you remember the media furore a few years back when it was reported that studies showed that approx 10% of Montana rams were gay? Subeditors (who write the headlines) had a field day: "Brokeback Mutton"; "He's Just Not That Into Ewe"... 🐏🐏🤠

Last edited:
I went for the Brokeback Mountain look to-day. The hat's a gen-u-wine Stetson, btw (bought in Bruges!! :-D).
Talking of BBM, do remember the media furore a few years back when it was reported that studies showed that approx 10% of Montana rams were gay? Subeditors (who write the headlines) had a field day: "Brokeback Mutton"; "He's Just Not That Into Ewe"... 🐏🐏🤠

Paul, will you PLEASE behave yourself and stop besmirching us with "scandal!" 5 minutes in the "Naughty Corner" for you, Sir! (P.S. I've been to Bruges ... I had no idea it was THE place to go to for Stetsons!)
20090203.jpg

Last edited:
Busyness until it was too late kept me out last week and nearly kept me out this week as well but I managed to squeak one in. This is a song by The Sons of the Pioneers - Ragtime Cowboy Joe.

"Lõke preerias" (The Campfire in the Prairie, 1963) is an Estonian cowboy song by Arne Oit and Heldur Karmo. There have never been cowboys or prairies in Estonia, but the songwriters had a good imagination (or they had seen lots of cowboy films and listened lots of cowboy songs). Here with uke and a bit of breathless harmonica.

A quick 1-take, no editing, from my hotel room in Baltimore.

It is an oldie, from 1912.

Ragtime Cowboy Joe

Last edited:
Top Bottom