Strap hole question

Crazyviking

Reaction score
I am looking at a uke online a strap button has been added to the bottom and is no longer there. It looks to me as though it has been ripped out as opposed to simply unscrewed. I don't know if there are different sizes of screws. How hard or expensive is something like this to fix?

Here is a pic to show how bad.

Thanks
Norm

Attachments

• uke end.jpg
    uke end.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
If you are just looking for a strap button, I'm sure there's a simple fix. However you might consider installing a mandolin end pin. Hole is drilled out and reamed to fit the pin. A classy addition compared to a "normal" strap pin.

If you are just looking for a strap button, I'm sure there's a simple fix. However you might consider installing a mandolin end pin. Hole is drilled out and reamed to fit the pin. A classy addition compared to a "normal" strap pin.
I'll second this. End pins look better and could cover any sin from a ripped out strap button screw. Pins are around $10 is and a luthier reamer is $15. Go slow and keep checking fit. Glue in with a bit of wood glue. Or just take it to a luthier to have one installed.

Looking at the picture, that's a pretty big hole. Not sure even an end pin will fill that (for numerous reasons). It also appears to be a one piece laminate used for the sides since there is no seam. In that case, there most likely no end block for reinforcement. It's a cheap ukulele. There are work arounds but it will never look right. I'd say pass...

If the uke is otherwise good and it's a reasonable price, I wouldn't let that stop me. Depending on the size of the sound hole, you could glue a piece of wood inside and drill into it to replace the strap button.

Pretty easy repair:
Get a stick of wood.
Whittle it down the end of the stick with your pocketknife to make a pointy part that fits the hole.
Smear a little wood glue on the end of the stick.
Tap it in place with a small hammer.
With small successive back-and-forth jerks, get the stick to break off flush with the surface of the ukulele.
Wait for the glue to dry.
Drill a new pilot hole in the same spot for a new strap button and install the button.

2 word fix: Golf tee. Cut off the bottom half before gluing in. Perfect for a shoestring strap & can be stained beforehand.

EDIT: Now that I’ve looked more closely at the photo, that’s a nasty, ragged hole and does call for the methods of repair described by others. If you choose to buy the uke, the price you’re willing to pay should of course take that into account.

When I recently glued in a wooden golf tee as a strap button during minor repairs in advance of custom-painting a Famous FU-120P pineapple soprano, that uke DID have a heel / end block but the tee hack worked just fine for a shoestring strap when looping the headstock end under the strings just past the G and A tuner posts & tying a 1-inch diameter loop to allow easy on and off at the end for the golf tee strap button. YMMV

And, thanks again, @Ernie!

Last edited:
As those above have said, plug the hole. I would use a dowel and round out the hole to fit it - making sure the hole is round. Put some glue into the hole and then insert the piece of the dowel. When you install a strap button, it will have a fabric washer that should cover the dowel. Drill a hole before starting the screw, of course.

As those above have said, plug the hole. I would use a dowel and round out the hole to fit it - making sure the hole is round. Put some glue into the hole and then insert the piece of the dowel. When you install a strap button, it will have a fabric washer that should cover the dowel. Drill a hole before starting the screw, of course.

Not sure that will work Jerry. From the looks of it there is no endblock. Those laminated sides could be quite thin and there wouldn't be much wood for the glue to bond with. It might just pop out (into the uke) when you try to drill a hole.

You could glue an endblock in there using string and... Oh never mind.

Top Bottom