Strings String tune and tension? Can a floppy string still be in tune?

Ah jeesh! Sorry! I looked for the right place to put the post...there's a strings forum? How'd I miss that...smh...
All good. There are two camps: yes for a string forum, no for a string forum. The no camp is so far the winner for various reasons - but I have added the "Strings" prefix to this thread, so it is (hopefully?!) better than nothing!

All good. There are two camps: yes for a string forum, no for a string forum. The no camp is so far the winner for various reasons - but I have added the "Strings" prefix to this thread, so it is (hopefully?!) better than nothing!
All we need now is a way to display all of the “Strings” prefixed threads. 😀

Wait, I finally figured it out. From the root of a category like “Uke Talk” for example, if you click on the first “Strings” prefix all of the threads with that prefix are displayed.
Kool. 😎

Last edited:
All we need now is a way to display all of the “Strings” prefixed threads. 😀

Wait, I finally figured it out. From the root of a category like “Uke Talk” for example, if you click on the first “Strings” prefix all of the threads with that prefix are displayed.
Kool. 😎
Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't give you "Strings" from "Uke Tech Support" or "Buying Tips" BUT it's a start and a quick fix for now. Workin' on it... eventually!

I just bought a UBass talk about floppeeeeeeeeeeeeee strings... a giant rubber band is now my E string... Egads!
I bet it’s the worst
As a yearling I'm always reading about new ukulele things and wanting to try them out. For example, I decided to put a set of Fremont black low g strings on my little Aklot concert uke. Can a string be in tune but floppy? Is that the difference between high and low tension strings? It sounds okay but I'm wondering if a higher tension string would improve the sound. I'd appreciate suggestions for low G strings; the fremont blacks are all in tune nicely but a bit "bongy". I attribute that to low tension- am I correct in that attribution?
I’m not familiar with those stings. What I can tell you is that if you are looking for the best balance and consistency in sound, I suggest that all of your stings are made from the same material.

If you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole I’ll give you a pro secret. uke players use classical guitar strings.

I bet it’s the worst

I’m not familiar with those stings. What I can tell you is that if you are looking for the best balance and consistency in sound, I suggest that all of your stings are made from the same material.

If you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole I’ll give you a pro secret. uke players use classical guitar strings.
I may be retired but I'm not a retired nerd and I'm well versed in rabbit holes! I just put new strings on all my ukes. Classical guitar string trial will be next...

I may be retired but I'm not a retired nerd and I'm well versed in rabbit holes! I just put new strings on all my ukes. Classical guitar string trial will be next...
Savares classical guitar strings. The red pack is high tension. Only use the nylon strings.

I stick with the aquilas as my go to strings. They are always bright and bring out natural tone dynamic of the instrument. Aquila strings have a way shorter play life, they wear down quickly, take longer to break in than fluorocarbon.

Fluorocarbon line wasn’t designed to be used for stringed instruments.

I stick with the aquilas as my go to strings. They are always bright and bring out natural tone dynamic of the instrument. Aquila strings have a way shorter play life, they wear down quickly, take longer to break in than fluorocarbon.

Fluorocarbon line wasn’t designed to be used for stringed instruments.
I've been reading reviews of fluoro vs nylon on fishing forums and just recently, harp player forums which of course included gut strings. In my brief experience playing ukulele and string types and brands, I'm still learning and experimenting. I'm going try gut just for the heck of it.

Yesterday I removed the tight, over-twangy D'Addario Nyltechs and re-installed the old set of Fremont Blacklines I'd kept just in case. After far less stretching than happens with new strings, Yowling Tom is far mellower. The difference feels like reconnecting with four old friends. My next post will be a far less banjo-ish version of Me And My Shadow, likely followed by a reworked version of Raindrops KFOMH before tackling Westphalia Waltz. Last week I worked out a smooth arrangement of the Sherman Brothers' Chim-Chim-Chiree but all in all, found its progression somewhat boring.

Last edited:
Back to the original topic. Floppy strings are in tune but is it a timbre you want? I always play in tunings parallel to CGEA. I downtuned to CFAD and according to the tuner the strings were all in tune but the floppiness creates a sound, a texture. That tension creates a sound. The lack of tension creates a floppy, flappy sound with a big scoop out of the middle. Do you want that sound? If so, then you have found your sonic home. If not, tighten all the strings. you're in total control, so get the sound you want. The strings will be in tune, but is it the sound you desire?

Did you realize this discussion spans 8 months?
I recently tried a string swap experiment involving two concert ukuleles. Sounds kinky, right? The Cordoba came with Aquila nylguts, and the weird named uke came with Martin fluorocarbons. For reference, the Cordoba is marketed at $259, and the other one in the neighborhood of $35. I paid significantly less for each new. They both sounded okay, but different. I wanted to try Aquilas on the weird named one, and I also was meaning to remove the Aquilas from the Cordoba anyway. I don't reuse strings, but I thought this would be an opportunity to try Aquilas, to see how they sounded on the odd named uke. Bingo! They sound great. So, what the heck, let's try the Martin fluorocarbons on the Cordoba. The Cordoba sounds worse now. Here's their mug shot.
20230607_124209.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom