String winders

VioletLotus

Reaction score
I just changed my strings for the first time (on 2 ukes actually, woohoo!), and got a cheapie string winder to do it. While I was grateful for it making the job somewhat easier, it kept shifting around and clanking into the other pegs which had me feeling more reluctant to using it as I continued - clearly made for a larger instrument. Are there any string winders made specifically for ukulele and smaller instruments?
ETA: the tuners I have now are the kind that stick straight out from the sides, in case that makes any difference.
1660016812539.png

Last edited:
D'addario makes one that includes a pin puller (in case you have a pin bridge). But the keys on tuning machines come in many different shapes & sizes, so you may not find a precise fit.

I just changed my strings for the first time (on 2 ukes actually, woohoo!), and got a cheapie string winder to do it. While I was grateful for it making the job somewhat easier, it kept shifting around and clanking into the other pegs which had me feeling more reluctant to using it as I continued - clearly made for a larger instrument. Are there any string winders made specifically for ukulele and smaller instruments?
ETA: the tuners I have now are the kind that stick straight out from the sides, in case that makes any difference.
View attachment 142401
I also have a Cheapie brand string winder, used for guitars and ukes. My issue is that the slots are a bit deep, making it possible to damage the finish of the headstock. I cured this by filling the base of the slot with a couple of card strips, this restricted the depth and seemed to create a better fit in general.
Vintage

This one is very nice. It feels nice, it has roller bearings and is round so it doesn't block against the other keys. It's multisize but centers well also on small keys.

s-l1600-resized-768x768.jpg

Hi Violet

I turn the tuning pegs by hand.

Got a couple winders over the last five years and both are too klutzy to be useful.

Doesn’t take very long if you limit the amount of string to be wound to 1.5” or so.

To prevent slippage
- thread though the post hole
- bring the loose end around thread it through again
- trim the loose end leaving about 1/4”
- as you wind, trap the loose end under the windings to pin it in place

Cheers

I have the Music Nomad string winder and I use it to unwind strings when I take them off. I don't use them to wind new strings, because I increase tension gradually and want the "feel" of doing that by hand. (If the tuner has a particularly high ratio of turns needed to make one revolution of the peg such as 16:1 or 18:1 I'd use the winder to get close to tune. And then fine tune by hand. But these are rare.)

I have in a drawer someplace two or three cheap string winders. They are hard plastic and can band into and put a ding in the edge of the headstock of a uke. Mostly because they are made for guitars and the slots are too deep for most ukuleles.

I do have a small winder that has a pin puller in my little tool kit that I keep in my music bag. The kit has a couple of flat and Phillips screwdrivers, a small wire (string) cutter, and a small needle nose pliers. They have come in handy at my uke club and gigs to make temporary repairs on stands or a fast string change or adjustment of a friction tuner screw.

The Music Nomad string winder is definitely a premium one with it's price tag. Obviously very nice quality as well but, at least for me, it's a bit hard to justify the premium price. I have a very basic Ernie Ball string winder that's very diminutive so it works well on ukes. Also has a notch for bridge pins which I've used plenty of times and actually works unlike, e.g., the D'Addario one.

It's a once in a lifetime investment and you can enjoy it for the rest of your life, instead of having to "make do" with an inferior tool. The combined winder is so irritating and you can buy 3 very good pin removers for 3 dollar, unless you want the best for the rest of your life the Music Nomad

It's a once in a lifetime investment and you can enjoy it for the rest of your life, instead of having to "make do" with an inferior tool. The combined winder is so irritating and you can buy 3 very good pin removers for 3 dollar, unless you want the best for the rest of your life the Music Nomad

Yeah don't get me wrong, they're products are always really good. I have a bunch of Music Nomad products and often check them out first if I'm looking for instrument related tools. Just saying that you can get a perfectly functional string winder for considerably less money. :)

Or... get a uke with friction tuners and avoid the issue entirely... I changed strings on my Fluke on Monday, and it does go quickly to be sure...

Tuning is slowed down considerably though... Definitely harder to tune. But changing strings is a breeze... Every choice is a compromise I guess!

View attachment 142401
So... what brand of strings did you select? I'm trying out the Herb Ohta Custom low G set from Worth Strings... They sound really good so far!

Gave up on winders. Too imprecise and wobbly.

Or... get a uke with friction tuners and avoid the issue entirely... I changed strings on my Fluke on Monday, and it does go quickly to be sure...

Tuning is slowed down considerably though... Definitely harder to tune. But changing strings is a breeze... Every choice is a compromise I guess!

So... what brand of strings did you select? I'm trying out the Herb Ohta Custom low G set from Worth Strings... They sound really good so far!
On my Islander tenor I put the Pepe Romero baby baritone strings. On the Pono concert went a bright low G Oasis set. I'm utterly fascinated with the different sound and range so far. And it's amazing how much more sustain goes through these instruments now, it's amazing. Is your low G a wound string?

Last edited:
I have the Jowoom Smart Tuner which is great as a classroom teacher (40 Ukes), for the reviews I do (shows that the ukulele is in tune before playing), and for instruments like 8 string Ukes.

It also works tremendously as a string winder for traditionally geared tuners.

It does not work with UPTs, Friction Tuners, or the Graphtech Tune-a-leles.

On my Islander tenor I put the Pepe Romero baby baritone strings. On the Pono concert went a bright low G Oasis set. I'm utterly fascinated with the different sound and range so far. And it's amazing how much more sustain goes through these instruments now, it's amazing. Is your low G a wound string?
Assuming you mean the Worth Herb Ohta set, it is not wound. I got tired of the wound G's sound so I stick with sets that feature a solid low G... And these thick fluorocarbon strings from Worth are becoming my favorite.

And: I was blown away by how much my tone changed on the Pono tenor after mounting the Baby Baritones... They made my Pono come alive, and the vibrations against my chest are almost scary... crazy sustain... I'm not sure I'm ever going back!

But I'm thinking of putting on some Oasis strings next time I restring one of my (other) tenors... since so many people here on UU rave about them... do you know what the difference is between the "bright" option vs. the "warm" option? I'm wondering which is thicker... errr... larger diameter...

This one is very nice. It feels nice, it has roller bearings and is round so it doesn't block against the other keys. It's multisize but centers well also on small keys.

s-l1600-resized-768x768.jpg

Yep, the roller bearing design looks good.

Last edited:
But this one in ebony is prettier ;-) and much more expensive! And it works with ukuleles as well. I made a reducer insert for small keys like on a mandolin.

2024-06-06 10.41.36.jpg

Last edited:
I have a hand winder by Daddario and a power winder by Ernie Ball. The power winder works a charm when changing strings on rear facing tuners ie slotheads or UPT tuners.

I have a hand winder by Daddario and a power winder by Ernie Ball. The power winder works a charm when changing strings on rear facing tuners ie slotheads or UPT tuners.
I used a small electric screwdriver with a tuner adapter but one time I held it a bit askew and broke a key on an old guitar. :-( so it's hand winding from now on.

Top Bottom