Strings cutting into bridge

TheFourthHorseman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Cordoba 20tm-ce for really cheap. It’s acoustic electric and pretty cool.

However, I discovered that the strings were cutting into the bridge/pulling up the “top” of the bridge. I’ve never seen anything quite like this.

Any ideas what gives? Should I try to glue and clamp that…or am I looking at needing a new bridge?

If I need a new bridge, any idea if the bridge will lift off with heat (like an iron on it) or are they attached more securely/crappiky?

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated!!!

View attachment 1511321B0C5FBC-F604-4428-A149-6E4ED8673FF8.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CE58933-E8BF-4157-8D20-7CDDD55FF494.jpeg
    4CE58933-E8BF-4157-8D20-7CDDD55FF494.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 4A603114-0C88-4B66-864B-E05DBDFC9E08.jpeg
    4A603114-0C88-4B66-864B-E05DBDFC9E08.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 574B6635-A2F3-4A0E-B34D-CF3FB689D8B5.jpeg
    574B6635-A2F3-4A0E-B34D-CF3FB689D8B5.jpeg
    995.8 KB · Views: 38
Yep, I have exactly the same problem on my Martin 1T IZ Tenor. It's the poor quality, loose grain, low density of the rosewood.
I bought the tenor from a Martin dealer who ordered it directly from the factory in PA. I changed the strings a month after I received it and strings had already dug furrows into the bridge. First, I put a length of my thickest string behind the loop around the bridge. It helped, but did not eliminate further damage.

So I put a set of string ties on the ends. Amazon: Diamond Ukulele String Ties/Uke Bridge Beads. They worked a treat. The string goes straight through the bridge without wrapping it around the bar on the bridge. They have a low profile design for ukuleles and a thicker set for guitars.

Photo from the Amazon listing:
Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 5.21.31 PM.png

Yep, I have exactly the same problem on my Martin 1T IZ Tenor. It's the poor quality, loose grain, low density of the rosewood.
I bought the tenor from a Martin dealer who ordered it directly from the factory in PA. I changed the strings a month after I received it and strings had already dug furrows into the bridge. First, I put a length of my thickest string behind the loop around the bridge. It helped, but did not eliminate further damage.

So I put a set of string ties on the ends. Amazon: Diamond Ukulele String Ties/Uke Bridge Beads. They worked a treat. The string goes straight through the bridge without wrapping it around the bar on the bridge. They have a low profile design for ukuleles and a thicker set for guitars.

Photo from the Amazon listing:
View attachment 151182
I saw those and was debating on ordering them.

I guess my plan of action will probably be to inject some glue into the cracks in the bridge, clamp it and let it dry. Order those string ties, install them and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help…much appreciated!!!

I currently have some of the bridge string tie beads on order, six ukes worth for less than $10! Recent thread here:

I currently have some of the bridge string tie beads on order, six ukes worth for less than $10! Recent thread here:
WoW…that’s a great price!!!

I’ll probably wind up going with something more expensive, since I’m impatient ☹️

I’ll probably wind up going with something more expensive, since I’m impatient ☹️
They may be coming sooner than the initial estimated delivery date. It's only been 7-8 days and tracking shows it cleared U.S. customs and departed destination country sorting center in Illinois with a destination of Minnesota.

Last edited:
Yep, I have exactly the same problem on my Martin 1T IZ Tenor. It's the poor quality, loose grain, low density of the rosewood....

My Cordoba tenor has a related problem: the saddle slot on the rosewood bridge has opened up quite a bit. At first, the saddle slarted to slant towards the soundhole a bit. I couldn't figure it out, but it started to get worse, to where the saddle was severely slanted, and even side shims in the slot wouldn't help keep the saddle up straight. Eventually I noticed that there were slight cracks at the base of the saddle slot's front wall, on the soundhole side. I guess the design is weak, or the rosewood was low quality and deteriorated, allowing the saddle slot to open up over time, and under the string tension, with the saddle then slanting. It looks like I'll need to replace the bridge to regain a proper upright saddle. I'll probably try a harder ebony style replacement uke bridge from StewMac, and shape it ito match the old one. Just glad it's not a real expensive uke, to undergo my bridge replacement attempt.

My Cordoba tenor has a related problem: the saddle slot on the rosewood bridge has opened up quite a bit. At first, the saddle slarted to slant towards the soundhole a bit. I couldn't figure it out, but it started to get worse, to where the saddle was severely slanted, and even side shims in the slot wouldn't help keep the saddle up straight. Eventually I noticed that there were slight cracks at the base of the saddle slot's front wall, on the soundhole side. I guess the design is weak, or the rosewood was low quality and deteriorated, allowing the saddle slot to open up over time, and under the string tension, with the saddle then slanting. It looks like I'll need to replace the bridge to regain a proper upright saddle. I'll probably try a harder ebony style replacement uke bridge from StewMac, and shape it ito match the old one. Just glad it's not a real expensive uke, to undergo my bridge replacement attempt.
Best of luck. Have you tried an epoxy or Gorilla Glue on the bridge? Sometimes those can be stronger than the original wood. Fill the cracks and clamp it until it sets and dries completely.

I have no idea how to remove a bridge or replace it in the correct position for proper intonation. The slot in the new bridge, most likely will not be in the same exact place in the bridge. Take lots of measurements and photos before you begin.

I just got the beads in the mail today so it was an 18 day turn around from the order date to delivery from China. Not too bad and certainly worth the wait for such a great price!

Top Bottom