Strings. Happy in between

Gress

Reaction score
I am an amateur player, but for 40 years or so. I had quite a few guitars and used quite a few strings - both gauges, materials and brands. I have never though used a hybrid string sets, like, eg, Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom etc. Nor did I use light/medium or custom medium sets before.

Recently, however I decided to give the latter a try. While I was looking at the options for "in betweens" I found this one
1000008505.jpg

as well as Martin's MA545 with the gauges exactly in between the lights and mediums.
They go 12.5, 16.5, 25.5, 33.5, 43.5, 55

As in general, I like Martin's PB SP strings I decided to try Martin's.
Replaced the MA 540FX with them
1000008483.jpg

And what a nice match they are to my GPC16e. I am in love with them now.

Why didn't I try them before?...
Does anyone else like them too?
And why not too many brands are making the in betweens?

I only know Curt Mangan as another brand making those.

Interesting!
I've been using Elixir HD Lights for quite awhile, which is a hybrid of mediums (trebles) and lights (wound). This set really fits my fingerpicking style, where I carry the melody on the first 3 strings.
13026319_800.jpg

Interesting!
I've been using Elixir HD Lights for quite awhile, which is a hybrid of mediums (trebles) and lights (wound). This set really fits my fingerpicking style, where I carry the melody on the first 3 strings.
View attachment 170931
Those are hybrids in my taxonomy. I never felt a need for these. I am more open to try them now. What's the reason to go lighter than even 54 on wounds?

What I liked about Martin's MA 545 is that they moved up from light to medium everywhere across which has resulted IMO in better both tone and projection. And at no difference in the strings feel from the lights.

I ordered quite a few sets, as I am not sure if they are in demand and how long Martin will continue this line.

Thanks for sharing the string suggestions. I use Ernie Ball 12-54 a lot but never knew about the 12.5 -56 sets. The Martin 12.5 - 55 set seems to look about perfect, I do like thicker trebles on some guitars for a warmer, fatter tone.

John Pearse have two sets that I like, Bluegrass 12 - 56 and their New Mediums 13 - 55. I have the latter set on a Larrivee L series which will be the go to set for that guitar moving forward. Until I decide to experiment which can happen unexpectedly 😉

I usually prefer to use stock strings on my guitars to keep them as close to as intended by builder as possible. Those are D'Addario coated PB. However, I have some custom shop "golden years" guitars and I have switched those to the D'Addario NB strings to enhance the vintage vibe. They sound a bit like uncoated PB and last a lot longer than coated PB! But may not be for you if you prefer more modern sound like Elixir.

I love the tone of Martin 12.5-55 strings.
They are easy to play too. Out of curiosity I decided to measure albeit not very scientifically, the minimal pressure it takes to fret a clean note string by string. I may compare it to 12-54 next time I change the strings. For now here goes.
The 50 N ( or 11.24 pounds full scale) force gauge and little cup I put on the probe which is very close to a fingertip.
1000008619.jpg
Here it is set to Lb and zeroed in
1000008620.jpg

I decided to measure the pressure at the 3rd fret i.e 1/4 of the full string length and a bit away from the nut, so it's less contributing to the results.
1000008634.jpg

1000008627.jpg

Results (in pounds):
E- 0.52
A- 0.50
D- 0.55
G- 0.49
B- 0.44
E- 0.41

These are done by pressing on each string for a clean note and then decreasing the pressure capturing the min pressure before buzzing starts.

All done manually, so take it for what it worth ×/-

Top Bottom