Super Bit

Ah. I’ve just been playing with drawings for an offset soundhole this week. It actually hadn’t occurred to me about the potential awkwardness of the neck bolts.
Thanks for this timely food for thought

I've had one of those for a year or so ...they work well until you put a lot of pressure on, then they twist about like a python , but they are ok for screwing in a neck bolt.

That new bit keeps popping up on Instagram and websites that I visit. Looked like something that might work just the way Ken described it, but if it sorta worked for Ken and works for Chuck, that a is a pretty high recommendation. I'll refrain from looking for it, hoping it just goes away, but will probably bite the next ime it rears it's head. My reluctance stems from the fairly large quantity of gimmicky tools that have gone into my garbage can over the years. Hopefully this one is made from materials that can be recycled, but I doubt it.

That new bit keeps popping up on Instagram and websites that I visit. Looked like something that might work just the way Ken described it, but if it sorta worked for Ken and works for Chuck, that a is a pretty high recommendation. I'll refrain from looking for it, hoping it just goes away, but will probably bite the next ime it rears it's head. My reluctance stems from the fairly large quantity of gimmicky tools that have gone into my garbage can over the years. Hopefully this one is made from materials that can be recycled, but I doubt it.
I don’t have one personally. I already have a handful of various flexible solutions that work well for me. If Imdidn’t have those I’d probably buy this one too. For 6 bucks it’s worth a gamble

That bit came up as pop-up on my Amazon this morning. They seem to really want to sell these things. However, the AI at Amazon has decided I don't really need one. Like many items on Amazon, they refuse to ship me this one. Usually the reason is because I have a P.O. box and no street mail delivery. No 4 wheel drive postal vans for our dirt roads here! Normally I can switch addresses to a friend who has mail delivery, but no dice this time. i assume it must be because of the lithium battery that runs the AI software in this device.

Quite sometime ago I bought this little swivel head socket drive that was mentioned here. The blue one in the photo. I think it was in a post by Aaron. Cheap, lightweight tool for dealing with neck bolts. Swivel head with forward and reverse ratchetting.I also picked up a combination set of metric and Imperial Allen head bits. The wrench is the blue one and it replaces my slightly more awkward little socket wrench, also shown at he top of the photo. Dont remember the cost, but it was cheap. Amazon of course.

Attachments

• 874.jpeg
    874.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 13
Quite sometime ago I bought this little swivel head socket drive that was mentioned here. The blue one in the photo. I think it was in a post by Aaron. Cheap, lightweight tool for dealing with neck bolts. Swivel head with forward and reverse ratchetting.I also picked up a combination set of metric and Imperial Allen head bits. The wrench is the blue one and it replaces my slightly more awkward little socket wrench, also shown at he top of the photo. Dont remember the cost, but it was cheap. Amazon of course.
The check out line at Home Depot has similar little devices.

This is used though a side port, 1/4" ratcheting crescent on the business end, a spool for quick screwing, a ratchet for setting the bolt. custom handle to get a 2 or 3 click swing inside the body.

tool 2.JPG

I don't know what a perch pole is, but I helped a friend do some building classes at a couple of music camps. Students made around 40 concert ukes and we fitted the neck bolt with a long Allen wrench through a hole in the tail block. We then supplied an endpin and no one complained about the hole. Sure was easy to screw the bolt in. I probably would not do that on my own instruments, just because of tradition.

Top Bottom