Super-sized Baritone?

Reaction score
Kala makes the Super Tenor model, a slightly oversized tenor. Is there anything similar in baritone with a body that is larger than typical, the scale is the same or only slightly longer, a plus-sized baritone?

Of course there is the tenor guitar, but the scale of these could be as much as 3" or so longer, which I'd considered significant, and possibly narrower fretboard/nut width. Additionally, tenor guitars are typically designed for steel strings, with bracing appropriate for steel strings and their greater tension. I've read that bracing for steel strings guitars can be excessive with nylon strings, leaving the sound deadened or muted.

Last edited:
My “Clearwater bowl back baritone” is significantly larger than my other two baritone ukes. It measures about 31 1/2 inches, compared to about 29 inches for the other two. It also sounds really good with good volume and lots of sustain…F6A55140-D109-40C5-B37F-C3C26E72F2B6.jpeg2038C7B0-195E-44C7-971A-30F81C9E12F2.jpeg

My “Clearwater bowl back baritone” is significantly larger than my other two baritone ukes. It measures about 31 1/2 inches, compared to about 29 inches for the other two. It also sounds really good with good volume and lots of sustain…
Awesome! I've read that these sound really good, especially for price. Would you say it has deeper, fuller, more resonate sound than a typical baritone, or more along the lines that the extra width and length footprint makes up for a possibly thinner depth? Unfortunately, I don't think these are being made any longer, and are especially difficult to find here in the US compared to the UK, where I believe they originated. This does remind me of the Ohana 70RB of which the Clearwater is often compared. I'll have to research the dimension to see if the comparisons are made due to both having a larger body footprint or the shared composite round back or both.

There’s the Gold tone ukulele guitar with a 23” scale length

I have seen children's classical guitars converted to 4 strings. They can be excellent, you can get a lot for your money.
I'd guess the conversion would be mostly about new nut and bridge/saddle for string spacing close to that of a baritone uke.

There’s the Gold tone ukulele guitar with a 23” scale length

now that’s what I’d call a niche product.

gold Tone is steel strings and 1 1/4 width(or less) nut. The new Pono's with lattice bracing are the best. As strung from factory they sound like a big baritone ukulele. Strung with Thomastik-Infeld wound nylon, they sound like a nylon string guitar.

Is the steel string Seagull a 4 string Mandolin tuned wrong? For me, I think not :LOL:

Yes, or if you were really interested, you could thin the neck down. I used to play with someone who played one.

Lots of really decent children's classical guitars.
These typically sound deeper and more resonant than the average baritone Uke. 21” scale.

The Pono ULN4 is a wonderful instrument. It's smaller then the NUI, which is basically a tenor guitar, it's the same size. The ULN4 comes in a number of different wood combos, comes in nylon as well as steel string. I had a steel string version and they a high quality I strument, like all Ponos

The Pono ULN4 is a wonderful instrument. It's smaller then the NUI, which is basically a tenor guitar, it's the same size. The ULN4 comes in a number of different wood combos, comes in nylon as well as steel string. I had a steel string version and they a high quality I strument, like all Ponos
This looks about perfect, bigger than a typical baritone, but not full on tenor guitar size as with the Nui. It's pricey, even when used condition, but it's Pono quality.

Last edited:
I've owned both a Pono UL steel stringed bari and the Ohana 70rb (similar to the clearwater mentioned above). Big price difference. For the money, I think the Ohana is quite nice. The Pono is nice as well. It of course depends on your pocket book and what you are looking for. Both are bigger than most ukes. Neither will fit in a standard bari hard side case. The Ohana will fit in a Kala Sonoma or Transit bag. The Pono is sold with a nice hsc. If you played the two, you would notice a huge difference in the scale length....the Ohana is 19 inches while the UL is 21. Good luck with your search!

Top Bottom